• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cursed Items

LrdApoc

"Insert Title here"
Crothian said:

Butt that would cost an additional pearl and even more time. And people only identify items they find, not items they make or buy.

Yeah, and that nasty Alcohol habit that would develop.. bad news.

Crothian

First Post
So, all we need are the rules for alcoholism and the true power of cursed items is revealed: To turn your Wizard into a lush. ;)

Cursed items can be accidently made, and the creator has no way to figure it expect to use high level spells.

What? What gave you this idea?

If you're talking about the blurb on DMG231 about cursed items, observe that it says "whevever you roll for a magic item..." The chance for a magic item being cursed is only in place for random treasure. If item creation had a chance to backfire, that would be detailed in the Item Creation Feat rules, which it isn't.

re: the implication in the flavour text (It's not worth adding another post to the thread, so edit):
This is another of the numerous cases where the flavour text matches the mechanics of the game poorly. The only cursed items that I can see coming out of flawed item creation are those items of intermittent functioning or uncontrolled functioning, or possibly items with false, nonfunctioning magical auras.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
threefallentrees said:

What? What gave you this idea?

If you're talking about the blurb on DMG231 about cursed items, observe that it says "whevever you roll for a magic item..." The chance for a magic item being cursed is only in place for random treasure. If item creation had a chance to backfire, that would be detailed in the Item Creation Feat rules, which it isn't.

In the text it implies that items can be made wrong. You are rright the percentage is only for randomly rolled items.

Kibo

Banned
Banned
I would definately have the results of a detect magic, if carfully examined hint at a curse. I would have a cursed object also radiate a little evil or chaos for detection spells too. Part of the lore of the item would definately include the curse, and likely revolve around it.

I could probably work out a system for removing curses from items with minimal extension to the system, but I've got a pimple forming on the inside of my eyelid. I didn't even know a person could get pimples there, so I'm a little cranky.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads