Custom Creature (Lurker)

LucasC

First Post
If you are planning to play in tomorrow's game (6/2/14) then stop reading now. For everyone else...

The Lurker is loosely inspired by the creatures in the movie Devil's Pass.

The creature is meant to stand alone against a group of 7 Heroic tier PCs who will be exploring an abandoned laboratory. I'm hoping to evoke a horror feel in the game. We'll see how that goes.

I pumped its XP by about 200 points since it has some powerful abilities -

Feedback welcome.

lurker.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interesting. So you automatically miss when you attack it, and it teleports to one of (8?) random squares. Is there any way to anticipate which square that will be? I guess 7 PCs could pick a square each and hope it's not the last one - is the the intended tactic?

LucasC

First Post
That's at least the start. I'll probably have to tweak it on the fly. Maybe drop it to auto-missing the first attack of each PCs round or something or add a predictable pattern to its teleport. However with 7 characters each getting 2 attacks they can theoretically target up to 14 squares at once.

The idea is to present a creature they cannot just shoot. If it just teleports on one attack a round they'll catch on after the second or third jump and it will die the next action so their weapons need to be rendered effectively unusable until they can overcome its defense.

The best way to deal with it would be to drive it to a place where it doesn't have many options for teleporting around.

hirou

Explorer
"3 squares in one of 8 directions" seems too arbitrary to me. Why not 2? How can it know the cardinal directions of the game grid? I'd introduce some system to the teleports, like "towards the attacker", "towards the weakest/bloodied person" or even "towards the nearest female" (if you can want to create a backstory that would explain this type of behavior).

"Driving to the place where it can't teleport around" seems good on paper, but how can you do so if it chooses the directions of teleport? Maybe luring will work though...

Remove ads