• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Custom Items in Backstories

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Late to this discussion - just one tip: don't be afraid to be up front with your players about all custom stuff (items, feats, etc) being in continual "playtesting" mode and subject to tweaking as the campaign goes on.

You never know what combo etc they might come up with making something OP (or UP).

BigBro359

First Post
Late to this discussion - just one tip: don't be afraid to be up front with your players about all custom stuff (items, feats, etc) being in continual "playtesting" mode and subject to tweaking as the campaign goes on.

You never know what combo etc they might come up with making something OP (or UP).

Totally know what you mean. That is what I have been telling them all along. Details of the campaign plot will not change once they have been said in game, but the powers of anything I create can be changed at will if it is too powerful. If they protest, I will nerf the whole thing. They were really cool with it because they get that this is my first time DMing and so I am learning as they are.
In the future, I will definitely not use such crude methods to limit them, but as I am learning, I will have to be crude.

Remove ads