(Cydra) Great Conflicts

arwink

Clockwork Golem
the Jester said:
Er, tons, at least in the high-level campaign. :) (I honestly can't be more specific than that.) Epic levels are all about customization imho.

Then my hat is off to you, sir.

Check your Private Messages :)

the Jester

Legend
The Conference of Spellcasters (part 1)

7/24/371 O.L.G., 11:30 a.m., the Halls of Healing, Var

Horbin kneels before Kevanen, a powerful planetar is service to the Light. It has taken him months of introspection to come to this point. The cleric summoned the celestial in order to atone. He has written a confession, and now he reads it off to the angel.

“I, Horbin the Holy, come humbly before Dexter, the Blind Son of Galador, to atone for my blind allegiance to freedom to the deteriment of the people I am charged to protect.

“I now understand that some rule of law is desirable for the good of a well maintained society.

“A certain amount of freedom of the individual is also necessary.

“I also understand that the foresight of those who create laws are limited, so not all challenges and situations are covered by laws resulting from the best of intended law-makers.

“I also understand that those who hold the law must themselves be regulated and checked by freedom of the people to govern themselves and see to their own well being.

“I hereby renounce Chaos as a personal philosophy, but see Chaos as a necessary but not final part of life and society.

“Let Dexter continue to guide my hand as a protector of Dorhaus and the people of all Cydra.”*

In the bottom of a hidden shaft piercing bedrock, Orbius purses his lips, looking at the sphere of annihilation Glaisig showed him several months ago.

It’s thousands of miles from home, and it won’t teleport. After all, it’s not an object- it’s a hole in reality.

The Eye of Boccob frowns. Some reward, he thinks ruefully. I could take it home, but the effort would be taxing. It would be a slow flight and I’d have to concentrate on the sphere the whole time. Alternatively, I could leave it hidden here and use it to dispose of especially dangerous items and creatures.

He sighs. It’s too dangerous.

He pulls a rod of cancellation from the sash at his belt.

4:45 pm.

Lillamere, Horbin, Orbius, Lester and Seethe are among those contacted by the Delphinate. They each begin making preparations. Seethe is told that the Grand Druid himself will be watching, and will be keeping in mental contact throughout the conference.

7/25/371 O.L.G., 4:45 p.m.

The sendings with the teleport coordinates are issued. Our heroes gather in groups; each has one of the invited spellcasters and their entourage. Lillamere is dressed in fine silks of the highest quality. Lester has provided uniforms to those who want to wear them.

Lillamere takes a deep breath and casts greater teleport, heading for the indicated coordinates. The world around him shifts, and for an instant, he is on a teleport pad such as he’s seen in the Delphinate. But then the world shifts again as he is teleported further, somewhere else, on another pad on a small island, his entourage with him. An instant later, Orbius and his entourage arrive as well. The party looks around them.

They have arrived on a square ceramic pad about 20’ on a side set into the ground on a sandy beach. They appear to be on an island that stretches some two or three miles east to west and probably a mile and a half to the north. There are woods on the other side of the isle, as well as a small hilly region. A large main building and over a dozen small huts dot the place, but there doesn’t seem to be any activity visible. Our heroes head towards the building.

“I wonder if we’re the first to arrive,” Alcar murmurs.

As he speaks, there’s a flash from the teleport pad. Looking in that direction, our heroes are pleased to see Seethe- once they realize who she is. She recognizes them and happily introduces herself.

“You look different,” says Gerontius. “I thought you were an old guy, now you’re younger and you’re a girl.”

She laughs. “I am a druid. I wear whatever face I wish.”

Over the afternoon, others arrive, most of them known to at least some of our heroes.

Emperor Prayzose greets them warmly; despite the fact that they work at cross-purposes in many ways, he is friends with Lester and friendly to all of them. Horbin approaches him about claiming Blendorag as a sanctuary, but the Emperor of Forinthia and High Priest of the Light shakes his head. “That is my wife’s land, and it is her decision, not mine,” he insists.

“Well, I guess I’ll have to talk to her then,” Horbin answers glumly.

The Delphin offers them the hospitality of either a room in the main building or one of the outbuildings. He (?) also provides them with a fantastic meal, served in the main conference building. When asked what he seeks to get out of the conference, he replies that he seeks to ensure that no great magical disasters occur, to avoid the targeting of innocents (such as family member noncombatants), and to attempt to get a guarantee against disjunctions.

Marius the Chronomancer arrives. He and Horbin exchange a few cold words. Orbius humbly approaches him for advice about Jezebel. Marius suggests that he look to Jezebel’s draconic instincts. “You must shower her with gifts and valuables.”

“I’ve given her gifts.”

Marius shrugs. “She is a young dragon, gathering a horde.”

Arion the Archmage, drunk as usual, shows up. Thankfully, the cantrip called quicksober is in good supply, so though he gets drunk again he also sobers up quickly. It becomes an amusing cycle throughout the conference.

When Estelias arrives, she dazzles everyone. Her beauty is, as always, amazing. She wears silver and sapphires, her pale skin accented perfectly by them. Her silver hair and amber eyes betray her grey elven heritage. Lillamere is astounded to find someone with more beauty than him. He is both strongly attracted to her and somewhat jealous.

Lester gulps as the next group walks in. There are three of them: a beauteous elven woman in an incredible formal dress glittering with jewels, with red hair and long earrings; a short male human with short hair and a round face, though a lean body; and a taller human, wearing a tattered set of robes crawling with vermin, and with a vulture squatting on his shoulder. “How’s it going, Dzaram?” Lester calls. “I hope you don’t mean any harm.”

“Lester,” the shorter man says gravely.

He locks eyes with Prayzose. After a long moment, the short man says, “Your Imperial Majesty,” with a nod.

Who’s that? Gerontius asks over the party’s permanent Rary’s interplanar telepathic bond.

That’s Dzaram the Lich, Lester replies grimly. The Lich of Forinthia.

Is he an enemy?

Lester considers. Sometimes, he answers at last. He’s helped us out before, too, like against the Temple of Elemental Evil when we needed to collapse the nodes to travel back in time, and against Strogass in the wars between it and Forinthia.

Who are the others? Inoke wonders.

The woman is called Delilah the Damned, Orbius tells them. The taller man, with the vulture, is Nydroth, known to most simply as Grisly.

Delilah the-! She was one of Dexter’s greatest enemies! Horbin is ashen.

Remember, my friends, this is not the time or place to settle scores, Orbius thinks firmly. Think what would happen if all the casters here started to fire off their big guns. It would be... disastrous.

So far, everyone has remained reasonably restrained. The next arrivals are four people unknown to most of our heroes; however, Lillamere springs to his feet as they enter.

“Mom!” he cries.

Alita, wizardess of the Delphinate, replies with a gladdened yell, and they embrace. They have not seen each other in about 150 years, since the coming of Fuligin. Neither of them even knew for sure whether the other was still alive. Now they sit together, chatting and catching up after years apart.

The other three spellcasters with Alita introduce themselves as Vendura, Alathria and Churr. All three of these, it turns out, are former Delphins true resurrected by Horbin as part of the deal he made with the Delphinate after the party died in Bile Mountain. Churr is a gnollish diviner; one of his hands clutches a crystal orb. He seems very interested in Inoke’s cat-helmet. First he offers to buy it; then, when Inoke refuses, he asks where there might be more. Inoke is evasive; the helmet itself tells him, I don’t trust it. It’s canine.

Night draws in, and another set of arrivals come in. This time, several of our heroes- Lester, Orbius and Sybele- recognize them. Cripes, it’s those guys from the Black Academy! thinks Sybele across the telepathic link.

Indeed. A tall, dark-haired female vampire leads the trio from the Academy. Our heroes recognize her as Ferranifer, mistress of the Black Academy. With her are Academician Drake, a pale master of intense presence and great power, and Instructor Ngise, a student of the black arts. The tension rises as they make their introductions.

“Where are all the clerics?” wonders Horbin.

“Not everyone who was called could- or would- come,” the Delphin says.

Later still, one more straggler arrives: Mabrack the storm giant, with his humungous dog. Most of the conferees are familiar with him, and if his ability to spellcast is not quite on a par with theirs, they respect his formidable physical abilities as well.

And then the gate crasher arrives.

Next Time: Uninvited, and surely trouble- another Marius arrives!

*With this, the planetar cast atonement on Horbin, allowing him to change from CG to NG alignment.

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Just for the record, the pcs and cohorts in attendance at the conference are:

Inoke (ex-bbn 2/psychic warrior 2/ftr 8/warmind 13) LG; ECL 25
Seethe* (druid 18) N; ECL 18
Baron Lillamere (sorc 20/argent savant 3) CG; ECL 23
Lester (elem 14/warrior of chaos 4/divine oracle 3/contemplative 2/hierophant 1/paraelementalist 1) CG; ECL 25
Sybele (fighter 8/psion 14/warrior of chaos 4) CG; ECL 26
Chakar (monk 18) LG; ECL 18
Alcar (half-celestial ftr 3/cleric 14) NG; ECL 20
Gerontius (rog 16/invisible blade 5/ftr 4) CG; ECL 25
Orbius (diviner 7/divine oracle 11/archmage 2/loremaster 2) CG; ECL 22
Jezebel (half-dragon rog 5/sorc 7/arcane trickster 2) CN; ECL 17
Wankleman (Gerontius' new cohort- ftr 12/chaotician 5) CG; ECL 17

Helluva group, I gotta say.

*Whose character sheet finally turned up.

Brain

First Post
the Jester said:
Churr is a gnomish diviner; one of his hands clutches a crystal orb. He seems very interested in Inoke’s helmet. First he offers to buy it; then, when Inoke refuses, he asks where there might be more. Inoke is evasive; the helmet itself tells him, I don’t trust it. It’s canine.

I think you mean Gnoll there instead of Gnomish, right?

Inoke did offer some information on a Canus helm he had found, but was reluctant to give out information on the Miloxi.

hippiejedi2

First Post
During the 100-day downtime, we visit Sigil and everyone knew we were responsible for the death of the Big A.

Gerontius also met this human in Sigil, Dorn Wackleman (pronounced Wankerman) who convinced Ger that he would be an asset to both Ger and the party, so Ger decided to let him follow.

Ger and Veil visit the Priest of N'Rat, which means chaos, and Ger got +1 level. In 2 games Ger gained 3 lvls

Ger changed alignment from CN to CG, under the influences of Horben and Alcar. Ironic the guy who inspired change in Ger changed at the same time/ in the same game, usu algn change takes 3 games to become effective, but Horben had Atonement cast upon himself.

A more punctilious physical description of Dzaram is, well, think Paul Simmon. Guahahah

Lester got shades of True Seeing from Glasig for his part in the destuction of Assmodeus

Though late, Gerontius played rogue games w/Albin, the Erathian Rogue, and ended up w/a wand of invisibility.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Just caught up again on this thread. Excellent stuff as usual. I think I'm really going to like these meeting of magic updates. And it is scary cool to see that Delilah the Damned is still around. She must be super-powerful by now! :eek:

KF72

the Jester

Legend
The Conference of Spellcasters (part 2)

The night wears on and most of the various participants at the conference gradually retire. Refreshments are made available at any time, and the place is staffed by a horde of improved unseen servants. Our heroes make conversation with the various spellcasters present. Horbin speaks to High Priest Prayzose for some time, discussing politics and theology. Orbius finds himself conversing with Marius; Lester speaks with everyone, as he is wont to do, but spends a great deal of time with Emperor Prayzose as well. Lillamere and his mom have a lot of catching up to do.

Veil tries to talk to the constructs guarding the Delphin, but they don’t answer, and the Delphin tells her that they are mindless. Disappointed, Veil then wanders into Lillamere’s conversation with Alita. They are discussing whether or not constructs should have rights- apparently Alita thinks the simulacrum discussion that Marius has already broached will lead in that direction. Veil is disturbed; it has never before occurred to her that, as a construct, she might have no legal rights. Well, the law has never done her right anyhow; even as a young doppelganger, she was beaten and imprisoned once just for what she was. Now she is an agent of Chaos, and much happier for it; but the thought that nobody will help her stand up for her rights appalls her.

Eventually, our heroes head to bed, mostly sleeping in the huts outside.

7/26/371 O.L.G., 10 a.m.

In the morning, the conference officially begins- boisterous, as might be expected, with many different points of view and strong personalities clashing. Suddenly there is a flash from the teleport pad, and a figure appears: a second Marius.

With a strangled cry, Marius the Chronomancer leaps to his feet. “A simulacrum!” he cries.

“Peach!” the faux Marius cries, stepping from the teleport pad with his hands raised. “I come for the conference, as a representative of the empowered simulacra! I mean no harm! I come under the guarantee of truce!”

Trembling with rage, Marius the Chronomancer begins to snarl a reply, but the Delphin speaks first. “You were not invited.”

“Think about it. If you make rules for the conduct of magic, do you truly think that you can enforce them against us?” The simulacrum shakes his head. “You need our input if you want us to follow the rules. Otherwise we will shatter your agreement.”

“This is outrageous!” Marius the Chronomancer shouts. “We should blast it to oblivion!” He is quaking with anger.

“He has a point, actually,” replies Prayzose. “How are we going to enforce whatever decisions we come to? If we want them to go along, we do need to allow them some input.”

“They are spells, not beings!” Marius cries.

”We should let him speak as we discuss it, though,” says Lillamere. “Regardless of what he is-“

”It,” insists Marius.

“-regardless, if he and these allies of his can cast powerful spells, they should have a say.”

“I’m not so sure,” answers Alita. “It seems to me that we should include only real spellcasters.”

“We are real,” the false Marius says with quiet dignity.

“I mean living ones,” Alita retorts.

”Would you deny me a vote, then?” Dzaram inquires dryly.

Orbius speaks up. “Well, as you can all see, the issues here are difficult, and unlikely to be resolved quickly. I say we allow the simulacrum to be part of this conference, but that the matter of the simulacra be put on our agenda.”

“Let’s blast him,” Marius snarls.

“Let’s vote on it,” suggests Horbin. “Does he sit in attendance at the conference? A simple majority vote.”

“That is accptable,” both Marii say at once. They glare at each other.

11 to 9. He’s in.

At first it is chaotic and disorganized, but gradually some order begins to form as Orbius suggests the basic system that the group adopts. They will first discuss what to put on the agenda. Any item nominated for discussion that gets a majority vote will be put on the agenda, and after discussion, a 2/3 vote will be required to pass it. Then whatever agreement they reach, they will ratify by consensus.

“That’s quite a high threshold,” Prayzose remarks.

“At least it will stop us from making frivolous rules,” Horbin comments.

Marius glares at the simulacrum, who looks back at him with equanimity.

The discussions begin in earnest. First the rights, or lack thereof, of simulacra are brought up. Thus leads to considerable discussion, including- as Alita had predicted- the rights of constructs.

“If they have rights, don’t they also have some kind of responsibilities?” suggests Horbin. “And if they don’t have rights, who is responsible for their actions? For instance, if this simulacrum of you has no rights, and it goes and destroys half a town, are you liable for it’s actions? Do you have to pay for the damages?”

The issue is put on the agenda.

“One of my personal concerns is the issue of disjunctions,” the Delphin offers. “It is a useful spell, but it’s problematic. I’m sure none of you want to lose all your magic items. I would like to see limits placed on its use.”

“It is a pretty dangerous spell to toss around,” admits Orbius, “but it has saved our lives more than once.”

“I’m not necessarily saying we should ban its use completely, I’m talking about amongst us.”

“Perhaps we can put the relations between us all on the agenda as well,” suggests Ferranifer. “I don’t believe there is any need for us to fight among ourselves; it seems to me that we would do well to work out any differences we have peacefully.”

“That is not always possible,” Mabrack the storm giant rumbles, “but it is worth discussing.”

“Nonetheless, I believe we should put Mordenkainen’s disjunction on the agenda.”

“Maybe death spells, too,” suggests Vendura.

“Only,” retorts Dzaram, “if you ban healing magic as well.” Both Delilah and Grisly nod agreement beside him.

After some discussion, whether or not to outlaw specific spells is put on the agenda. So is conflict between spellcasters, including retaliation. The topic of divine intervention is brought up by the Delphin, and it too is put on the agenda over the vociferous protests of Prayzose. The treatment of innocents is the next topic discussed and added to the list of things to address.

Marius adds something else, other than his staunch feelings regarding the simulacra: “I suggest we ban interference with the time line.” This passes 14-6, with only a few individuals voting against it. Instructor Ngise, in particular, rails against blocking off any avenue of research whatsoever.

“One more thing,” Lillamere sighs. “Should we reconvene?”

“What!” cries Orbius. “Why would we-“

“What if we overlook something or something we decide doesn’t work? I say, in a few years, we meet again to discuss things.”

“Maybe in one year,” suggests Prayzose.

“A good point,” nods the Delphin. “And obviously we need to discuss enforcement of whatever agreement we come to.” Everyone agrees with that.

And with that, the agenda is set.

Next Time: The conference continues. Will such a massive group of spellcasters be able to agree on anything? Will they blast the simulacrum? Will they destroy the entire island they are on??

the Jester

Legend
Voting at the conference are:

The Delphin
Marius the Chronomancer
Arion the Archmage
Estelias
Mabrack
Emperor Prayzose
Dzaram the Lich
"Grisly" Nydroth
Delilah the Damned
Ferranifer
Academician Drake
Instructor Ngise
Alita
Churr
Vendura
Alathria
The Marius simulacrum

(and the pcs that are actual conferees:)

Baron Lillamere
Lester
Orbius
Horbin the MFKG Holy
Seethe

Update coming within the next hour!

Last edited:

Remove ads