D&D 3E/3.5 D&D 3.5 available Print on Demand.

Voadam

Legend
Not for groups I played with. Organized play, yea but that was by fiat. Outside that? 3.0 and 3.5 content was used together a lot.

H*ck we used PF1 and 3.5 and 3.0 stuff too.
I mixed and matched monsters and magic items and modules fairly easily among 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder beta playtest, PF1, and d20M plus some other d20 systems (Arcana Unearthed, Everquest d20, some others) with minimal conversion but you had to decide which rule set you were using for rules adjudication because there were small pervasive changes throughout the rule system that varied between each such as the list of actions that provoked attacks of opportunity.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I mixed and matched monsters and magic items and modules fairly easily among 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder beta playtest, PF1, and d20M plus some other d20 systems (Arcana Unearthed, Everquest d20, some others) with minimal conversion but you had to decide which rule set you were using for rules adjudication because there were small pervasive changes throughout the rule system that varied between each such as the list of actions that provoked attacks of opportunity.
I used to be a major stickler for not crossing the metaphorical streams between variant d20 systems. Now I mix and match between them freely, and I find it quite enjoyable.

Orius

Legend
Ever so but 3.0 was so much easier on the DM.

Some of that might have been the somewhat lower amount of bloat in 3.0. I dunno, 3.0 had a similar rate of books released as 3.5, but 3.5's books were bigger and thus had more crunch, more base classes, added more systems like all the various magic systems, and had Eberron stuff in addition to core and Realms.

teitan

Legend
Some of that might have been the somewhat lower amount of bloat in 3.0. I dunno, 3.0 had a similar rate of books released as 3.5, but 3.5's books were bigger and thus had more crunch, more base classes, added more systems like all the various magic systems, and had Eberron stuff in addition to core and Realms.
3.0 had a lot less books published. The class books were slim volumes. So while the rate of release was about the same, they were definitely a lot slimmer plus 3.0 had BoVD and that book was awesome.

Voadam

Legend
3.5 was also publishing for more years than 3.0, so even at the same rate of books there would be more 3.5 stuff as time went on.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Shhh shhhh shhhh we don’t talk about that because 3.5 was just small fixes and all compatible with 3.0 according to WOtC.

Well, I think that was the original intent, but the "little tweaks" wound up being pretty extensive.

Not for groups I played with. Organized play, yea but that was by fiat. Outside that? 3.0 and 3.5 content was used together a lot.

H*ck we used PF1 and 3.5 and 3.0 stuff too.
Huh? The changes can be extensive without preventing people from mixing content. If you compare, say, AD&D with B/X, the core rules are similar in many key elements, and people CONSTANTLY use modules and content published for one old-school edition with a different one, but there are still extensive differences (try comparing the initiative systems :p ).

3E and 3.5 are broadly compatible, sure, but there are tons of little differences which impact any given game. Stuff like the changes to the skill list, or tweaks to feats, to core rules like spell resistance or grappling, or (and this is one of the bigger ones I was thinking of) the huge number of small changes to spell descriptions. You could absolutely use stuff from one version in a game centered on the other, but, for example, if a given game was based on 3.5 and you tried to play a spellcaster in it using your 3.0 PH, that just wasn't going to work. Unless the DM simply didn't care that your spell descriptions were mechanically different than the ones he had.

Last edited:

Orius

Legend
It depends on which set of rules the DM wants to use as a baseline and which rules are being imported and adjusted.

Andvari

Hero
I still have the original 3.0 core books and a few supplementals.

I'd love to have the 2E books, as I recall them being much better organised than 1E, but have not bought them in fear of hardback versions becoming available later.

Voadam

Legend
I still have the original 3.0 core books and a few supplementals.

I'd love to have the 2E books, as I recall them being much better organised than 1E, but have not bought them in fear of hardback versions becoming available later.
Its also the much uglier art of the revision version of the 2e PH. I have the PH revision PDF and a hardcopy original 2e PH and I much prefer the original even though the revision has full color art and the original has a lot of blue line art.

Remove ads