D&D 5E [D&D 5e] Planescape - In Through the Out Door

Unsung

First Post
OOC: Graydon (@Pembinasa), you said you wanted to cast a spell as soon as the door opened? This might be a pretty short combat, depending on what that is.

Pembinasa

First Post
OOC: I'd been MEANING to ask you about that. Hey, Readied Action ahoy!

Graydon stared in disbelief at Shard's apparently impulsive action, before shaking out of it to catch Shandrizar's expository infodump. Ducking through the doorway, the young wizard's fingers wove intricate tracing through the air in time with a muttered"INRETIO!"-

An act that spun tangling webs out of nothingness to try engulfing the remaining creatureloths or whatever. He'd really have to get a more detailed listing of these things from Shandrizar later, when he could take notes... but first things first.

So if these things are so absurdly and offensively 'resistant' to magic, why in Imix's name is everyone else throwing magicks at them!? Also, how can you gulp without a throat? Nevermind, later. Fanning along the wall and away from the pyromaniac, he set himself and readied to stay here until he was the last one around; there was no real likelihood he could keep the spell up while jumping through a portal, and the others didn't deserve to deal with these things free because one of them was feeling torchy. (Besides, if they survived they'd be right on his heels, and what good is that?)
OOC: DC 14 Dex check for the skeroloths, Init roll 1d20+3=7

OOC: I've been holding off on stating an action for this round because I'm lower in the init order and, given our recent OOC discussion, the battlefield may look drastically different by the time my turn is up. Thanks!

Unsung

First Post
Strings of gossamer ripple over the burning courtyard, dropping gently in sheets on the heads of the half-formed fiends as the fire licks up from underneath them. They squirm and mewl piteously, scuttling one atop the other in a mad scramble to escape.

OOC: Skeroloths - DC 14 Dexterity saving throw vs Graydon's web: 5#1d20+5 15 21 18 11 12

Graydon's web spell ensnares yugoloths #6 and #7. The grass in the courtyard, already set on fire by Shard's fireball, will cause the web to catch fire within one round.

Initiative count:
  1. Shandrizar (20) - Next!
  2. Shard (16)
  3. Picayune (10)
  4. Liliana (9)
  5. Enemy- Yugoloths (8)
  6. Oz (7)
  7. Graydon (7)
  8. Rusty (5)

Surprise round over. Shandrizar, you're up next. And a little light reading...

[sblock=Excerpted from the prime Ghistryn's 'Compilation Of The Ranks Of Demonry' (trained in Arcana)]
'Yugoloth' is the name used to refer to this surprizingly mercenary fiend, preferred by the discerning summoner for a most peculiar & tractable disposition. Most often manifested as a horrifying amalgam of insect ande canyne features, he is purportedly less certain to turn against he the mage who summons him. Rather than trafficking in the immortal souls of the ones who call him, Yugoloth would rather to contract for treasure and immediate temporal favours. Indeed he has a great liking for books, such that upon the occasion of one of our meetings, the demon preferred to take ownership of the ledgers of my liege's exchequer instead of my own tomes of deepest forgotten lore.

Whether Yugoloth be the name of the individual, the race entire, or the merely the banner under which they serve, all in his service possess the following qualities in common:
  • Indifference to acid, to poison and the condition of being poisoned, and to all human diseases
  • Proof against all damage from nonmagic weapons that be not silvered
  • The power to resist the dark energies of undeath
  • The ability to teleport at-will, to transition to and from the innermost pit of Hades freely, and to summon others of their ilk upon request
The Yugoloth commands 27 Legions of Medium foot soldiers. He teaches mechanical arts, reconciles friends, and can confer a mastery of all languages. He does not give good familiars.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
Extricating himself from bibliographic pontifications, Shandrizar moves into a guarding position between the skeroloths and Graydon, readying a most grievous book-whallopping if any of them try to get close. The floating spellbook almost feels bad for the sizzling skereloths. Almost.

Telepathically, to Graydon:

To be fair, fiends are absurdly offensive on principle, my dear Conjurer. Now, were skeroloths the bibliophiles kind or the eat-your-face kind, I can't remember. Such are the woes of those burdened with the knowledge of archmages...A well-cast net, might I add. Perhaps we should call you the Fisher Mage?

OOC: Tag [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]!

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Shard rolls out into the yard, heedless of the reactions of those behind her. She sets about clearing a path between the portal, and the others with grim satisfaction.

(Move towards the portal, then Guiding Bolt on one critter as an action, and getting her Spiritual Weapon into the fray as a bonus action.)

[roll0] to hit with Guiding Bolt, for [roll1] radiant damage. If it lives, it gives the next attack on it advantage.

[roll2] to hit with Spiritual Weapon, for [roll3] force damage on another one.

(Oh heck, the Web...Shard won't enter it, but advances to the edge and performs her actions. She'll wait for it to burn up before continuing forward. :))

Last edited:

OOC: Could I get you, [MENTION=6781406]Unsung[/MENTION], to please update before I post an action for Picayune? I'd like to know what the battlefield looks like at the moment. Also, Picayune was hovering in the air next to the portal door in the courtyard. He'd minor imaged it to make it appear open, so that the rest of the party would see it for a door and not a bricked over wall. I'm unclear whether Pic was caught in Graydon's web.

Pembinasa

First Post
Silently, to the book: If I might catch them alight, so much the better- but you might want to try avoiding what comes next, "Shandi."

...As
THEY might, what with that dratted teleportation trick! Blast and disintegrate it all, I don't even have spells suitable for magic-ignoring, infini-translocating monsters; I'm not even certain I know of any to exist! Don't look at where they are, Shandrizar; start looking for the best places for them to attack us from, because that's where they're likely to pop up at.

Remove ads