Rise of Tiamat (FAIL) 4.5
Storm Kings Thunder (WARN) 4.5
Descent Into Avernus (FAIL) 4.4
Dragon Heist (FAIL) 4.4
Rime of the Frostmaiden (FAIL) 4.4
Hoard of the Dragon Queen (FAIL) 4.3
Princes of the Apocalypse (FAIL) 4.3
Candlekeep Mysteries (FAIL) 4.2
What I find interesting about this set of numbers is I had thought Candlekeep Mysteries was largely well-regarded, although impacted in some people's eyes by at least one of the freelancer's experiences with WotC. Likewise, I thought Rime was well-regarded, rather than being near the bottom of the chart.

OTOH, there are people who only want Official Books and prize that highly, even turning up their noses at unofficial Keith Baker Eberron books*, which suggests that the WotC special sauce is what they care the most about. Maybe that special sauce is worth a minimum of four stars with them.

* If you're one of these people, I would love to hear the rationale. I feel like Baker on Eberron or Greenwood on Forgotten Realms ought to trump WotC official trade dress, but I guess not everyone feels that way.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
What I find interesting about this set of numbers is I had thought Candlekeep Mysteries was largely well-regarded, although impacted in some people's eyes by at least one of the freelancer's experiences with WotC. Likewise, I thought Rime was well-regarded, rather than being near the bottom of the chart.

OTOH, there are people who only want Official Books and prize that highly, even turning up their noses at unofficial Keith Baker Eberron books*, which suggests that the WotC special sauce is what they care the most about. Maybe that special sauce is worth a minimum of four stars with them.

* If you're one of these people, I would love to hear the rationale. I feel like Baker on Eberron or Greenwood on Forgotten Realms ought to trump WotC official trade dress, but I guess not everyone feels that way.
Here is some data for Candlekeep: 21% of potentially unnatural reviews removed. 21% Unverified Purchases (unusually high). We see the following 2 participation groups with a statistically significant greater concentration than what we'd expect to see: Reviewers with 1-5 Reviews: 29.2%; Reviewers with 6-15 Reviews: 41.7 %. In total, we found that 51 reviewers (or 71%) are within an overrepresented participation group. This is an excessively high number of reviewers in overrepresented participation groups.

These are ratings based on no agreed upon criteria whatsoever. I find the irony of Amazon ratings is that on what was originally a bookseller website the thing they work the worst for is books (and other media content) since reviewers can't even agree on whether they are rating the content or the physical product.

But with a campaign book the lack of agreed criteria problem becomes even more extreme. Aside from people getting upset about shipping and such, or about receiving a defective copy (I think most of us have encountered 5e stinky book syndrome at some point), a D&D campaign book these days is also likely to get dinged by whatever cranks have found some basis for a culture wars-based polemic. But beyond all that stuff there are is a more fundamental issue: is it a rating of the adventure or the presentation in book form? If the adventure, from a player's perspective or a DMs. If the presentation in book form, did the reviewer run the campaign or just read it?

Of the listed campaigns I own and have read and/or run parts of Out of the Abyss, Storm King's Thunder, and Waterdeep Dragon Heist. From a reading perspective I like SKT the best as it has a substantial introduction that lays out the whole plot at the beginning for me to know, whereas Dragon Heist is less clear on this front, and Out of the Abyss expects me to pick it all up myself. On the DM support front SKT also has a section in the back with suggestions on how to transition from any of the then published campaigns into this one, which I thought was a great idea. SKT is also, I would argue, a stronger setting guide for the Sword Coast than the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. But neither of those points have much to do with the campaign itself which I have never run most of (the group I bought it for fizzled). As a campaign it seems pretty middle of the road (3 or 4 out of 5 stars), but as a book to run the campaign from 5 stars, easy (with the caveat that I only ever read the opening chapters and skimmed the rest).

Meanwhile the book presentation of Waterdeep Dragon Heist seems unexceptional, the actual adventure doesn't really seem to amount to much, and as a product it could probably support the DM better, but when I was a player in that campaign we had tremendous fun because Waterdeep is a rich setting and an urban campaign where the players own a business lent itself to lots of wild schemes and creative hijinks, and I think that is not an uncommon experience. So as a DM support 3-4 stars, as a campaign from the DM's perspective again 3-4 stars, but as a campaign from the player perspective 5 stars.

Neither of those "reviews" was my actual rating necessarily, as it was all based on memory and I haven't read all of either of those books, but the point is that based on what criteria I was rating them for I might easily vary wildly, even before we get into issues of whether Amazon sent my order too late for the first session or the book had a strong chemical smell.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

As far as I'm concerned if Keith Baker writes an Eberron supplement, it's about as "official" (whatever that word even means) as it gets. You don't get more official than that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Here is some data for Candlekeep: 21% of potentially unnatural reviews removed. 21% Unverified Purchases (unusually high). We see the following 2 participation groups with a statistically significant greater concentration than what we'd expect to see: Reviewers with 1-5 Reviews: 29.2%; Reviewers with 6-15 Reviews: 41.7 %. In total, we found that 51 reviewers (or 71%) are within an overrepresented participation group. This is an excessively high number of reviewers in overrepresented participation groups.
What does that mean? That it was reviewbombed or something?

BigZebra

Adventurer
It gives me pause on the vocal minority more than whether to trust Amazon scores. The vocal minority will find anything and everything to complain about while the silent majority will tend to just keep trucking. The adventures sold well enough that WOTC put out a limited combined edition last year with extras, more than five years later. Much like the SCAG, I take what I see here or on other forums with a salt shaker.
Exactly. I ran ToD last year on Roll20. Granted for totally new players, so that might factor in, but we all had an absolute blast.
There will never be an adventure that'll be perfect for all groups, but for our little group where the players were new it was awesome. And yes for a group of very experienced players looking for a sandbox it's not very ideal. But that's not really the goal either.

Remove ads