D&D 5th/Next Basic Rules Table of Contents

barasawa

Explorer
The Basic Rules has been released, and much to my chagrin it has neither Table of Contents nor Index.

So I've made a basic one page Table of Contents with the stuff I hope will be most helpful to as many people as possible, new or old players. It's not perfect, but it should help people find things a lot easier.
For example, in the magic section I've listed the page with the first spell with that letter so it'll be faster to find the right page. As to being one page, that was intentional at this point as it's just a quick and dirty aid.

Obviously all copyrights to DnD 5th Basic Rules belongs to WOTC, not me. I just wrote a kind of temporary stopgap ToC to cover their missing an obvious, useful, and pretty much standard in the printing industry. :p

I'm sure that as WOTC updates the Basic Rules, this ToC will rapidly become very obsolete.

I'm attaching an RTF version, and an DOCX version for your loading convenience.

I'm not going to guarantee there will be updated version of this as it depends on wild hairs and what WoTC does. Maybe I'll do an Index if I get extremely bored, but don't hold your breath since I don't want to promise what might not be delivered. :cool:

Update: I've edited this to change it from links to attached files. Hope this works better for everyone.

Attachments

• Basic DnD ToC.rtf
    24.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Basic DnD ToC.docx
    5.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Could you upload it here? Means this thread will still be useful when somebody stumbles in it in 5 years. Everybody hates old threads with broken links!

Thanks! :)

(also I get a "resource not found message" at that link)

Charles Wright

First Post
It does have bookmarks, though.

Introduction
Chapter 1 - Step-by-Step Characters
Chapter 2 - Races
Chapter 3 - Classes
Chapter 4 - Personality and Background
Chapter 5 - Equipment
Chapter 6 - Customization Options
Chapter 7 - Using Ability Scores
Chapter 8 - Adventuring
Chapter 9 - Combat
Chapter 10 - Spellcasting
Chapter 11 - Spells
Appendix - Conditions

My guess as to why there isn't more would be that it's a living document that will expand as more books are released. Creating a ToC at this point would be counterproductive for them. :D

Still, thanks for putting together an in-depth version!

barasawa

Explorer
It does have bookmarks, though...

...My guess as to why there isn't more would be that it's a living document that will expand as more books are released. Creating a ToC at this point would be counterproductive for them. :D

Still, thanks for putting together an in-depth version!

Then that's odd, the bookmarks don't seem to show for me, and I'm actually using the Adobe PDF reader.

I totally expect it to change, and probably a LOT. Still if you have the source document and a decent office suite, it has a neat tool to make a ToC for you automatically. Hopefully it was an oversight on their part, but you never know.

Thanks. Not being overly modest here, but I'd qualify this as a quick and dirty version. If I felt like taking the time I'd do a better one and an index. Honestly, I use indexes about three times as much a table of contents.:D

sagnam

First Post
I modified this to match to PHB ToC.

EDIT: Fixed some typos, closer match font to rules, aligned columns, and made a color version.

Attachments

• Basic DnD ToC-BW.docx
    17.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Basic DnD ToC-Color.docx
    18 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

drufause

First Post
Modified the Fonts

I have modified this to have fonts that are close to what is used in the book.

Attachments

• Basic DnD ToC-Color.pdf
    49.6 KB · Views: 120

Remove ads