D&D General D&D (and potentially other TTRPG's) is a sport

DollarD

Long-time Lurker
Well, this is just something that struck me as I was reading some on the threads here today:

D&D is a sport! I submit the following evidence:

D&D is competitive
Like sports, D&D is competitive. Not necessarily player vs player, or even player vs DM, but player vs (virtual) environment. The participating players (and their characters) feel the drive to win in a tough struggle.

Unfortunately, many activities that are competitive aren't sports, so we must continue.

D&D requires skill
Similarly, D&D requires skill. Just as the footballer must learn to master running, passing, tackling, and positional game sense, becoming adept at D&D requires deep study - of rules, rule interactions, manipulation of the (virtual) environment and social skills - manipulating NPC's, and on occasion, a DM.

Yet not all skill based activities are sport, so on we go.

D&D has rules and etiquette
The official rules of D&D is published and recognized internationally. There is a specific table etiquette that is generally observed at all tables, and failing to meet them could result in a player not participating anymore.

Though a Code of rules and etiquette is not the defining mark of a sport, so we move further afield.

D&D requires physical exertion
Surely sitting around a table rolling dice cannot be said to be physical exertion? Yet, as any D&D player knows, it is physically taxing to concentrate on a session for hours on end. After hours of playing, you'll have finished the session feeling drained of both mind and body. Mental exertion manifests itself physically - an intense session can elevate the heart-rate, raise blood pressure, and cause perspiration.

Surely the physical exertion can be said to be at least to be as great as, say, golf?

I therefore submit that based on the above considerations, D&D is a sport! And we are all athletes!

So it is high time that WotC gets the ball rolling, and apply to the International Olympic Committee to have D&D recognized as a sport!

(I'm assuming the players of the team that completes the IOC approved version of the Tomb of Horrors first would win the gold, but to each his own.)

:p;):unsure:

Lyxen

Great Old One
D&D is competitive

No, it's not, not in itself. It can be played that way, and some editions were clearly designed that way, but 5e is only "an exercise in collaborative creation. You and your friends create epic stories filled with tension and memorable drama."

D&D requires skill

Not necessarily, once more: "To play D&D, and to play it well, you don’t need to read all the rules, memorize every detail of the game, or master the fine art of rolling funny looking dice. None of those things have any bearing on what’s best about the game."

It can be played totally casually and without particular skill, and saying that it requires skill is somehow not nice to people just wanting to have fun.

D&D has rules and etiquette

And again, the rules are there to be modified at will, and the etiquette is very local to tables.

Surely sitting around a table rolling dice cannot be said to be physical exertion? Yet, as any D&D player knows, it is physically taxing to concentrate on a session for hours on end. After hours of playing, you'll have finished the session feeling drained of both mind and body. Mental exertion manifests itself physically - an intense session can elevate the heart-rate, raise blood pressure, and cause perspiration.

Surely the physical exertion can be said to be at least to be as great as, say, golf?

Actually, golf is pretty taxing compared to D&D. :p

I therefore submit that based on the above considerations, D&D is a sport! And we are all athletes!

I'll pass thanks.

Apologies for my rather serious answers, but please don't start me on the silliness that is e-Sport. In a (western) world gangrened by obesity, I find this actually not funny at all.

That being said, I appreciate the effort of making it at least funny. :D

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
So it is high time that WotC gets the ball rolling, and apply to the International Olympic Committee to have D&D recognized as a sport!
Is D&D a sport? Is it a game?

Wait ... is combat sport? Is it war?

Oh no ....

gdOmYaA.gif

Last edited:

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
I would disagree its competitive and requires skill etc. It USED to, but modern D&D is fairly a blunt a object. It was pretty hilarious when I took my 5E group who typically just ran into combat and survived with barely a scratch afterwards and ran them through the first part of ToEE for 1E.

Back in the long long ago, D&D was played competitively. I believe it mostly had to to with how fast each group could get furthest in a dungeon in a set amount of time. Tomb of Horrors was one of those competition dungeons.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
D&D is competitive
Like sports, D&D is competitive.

Not necessarily, no, as others have already noted.

D&D requires skill
Similarly, D&D requires skill.

Whether or not this is true, it is irrelevant, because "requires skill" does not differentiate sports from other activities. So, this does not support your assertion.

Surely sitting around a table rolling dice cannot be said to be physical exertion?

No, it cannot, and your stretch to make this point strains credulity.

aco175

Legend
Hey! I play golf and I can tell you that, oh- no you are right. At least when I ride the cart with my father-in-law.

I worked at a college that gave out E-Sports scholarships. Not sure if that counts, but at least there was money in it. Some people make money at D&D, congrats @Morrus again with A5E. Most people it is a game, like billiards or darts or some club activity.

Remove ads