• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the Cthulhu mythos: Adventure ideas?

greywulf said:
Call of Cthulhu makes for great D&D! Remember that Robert Howard, the author of Conan, was a pen-friend of Lovecraft's and you're more than halfway there.
Just because REH and HPL were pen pals doesn't mean that their stories are particularly similar, though. Even Howards Mythos stories are only very superficially similar to Lovecraft's. There's a theory out there--I think it's in one of the essays in the recent Del Rey Conan reprintings, that Howard's influences were much more the Adventure magazine of historical swashbuckling romances, not the Weird Tales tradition. Which I know is ironic, since he was one of the Weird Tales "three musketeers."

I guess that brings to mind, Wraith Form--what exactly from the Mythos are you hoping to import into your game, anyway? A D&D Mythos story sounds like it would be more like a Howard Mythos story on the face of it; yeah, you get a nice weird description of the horrors, dripping with eldritch ichor and all the other purple adjectives, but then when all's said and done, you still kick it's butt.

Last edited:

No... my van is by a river in the Material Plane. Although parking it on the banks of the River Styx is a really intriguing idea. Hmm...

talien

Community Supporter
Wraith Form said:
*gasp* And adventure I don't have?!? I must be slipping....
The Freeport trilogy features the Unspeakable One and the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign. You should definitely check them out in that case, as Black Sails Over Freeport has some Cthulhu-esque moments, but the Freeport series is practically a Call of Cthulhu/d20 crossover...with pirates. For some reason.

I'll take whatever you're willing to offer. My email is wraith [underscore] form [at] msn [dot] com.
Sent!

Thank you for all the great advice! I was actually hoping to use the King in Yellow, as one of my players runs a bard who read a copy of a strange play....(wink wink, nudge nudge)
In that case you must, MUST, MUST convert Tatters of the King. It's everything there is to know about the King in Yellow, Hastur, and the Unspeakable One all wrapped into a marvelous package.

talien said:
The Freeport trilogy features the Unspeakable One and the Brotherhood of the Yellow Sign. You should definitely check them out in that case, as Black Sails Over Freeport has some Cthulhu-esque moments, but the Freeport series is practically a Call of Cthulhu/d20 crossover...with pirates. For some reason.
For some reason? FOR SOME REASON?!

You never need a reason to have pirates.

talien

Community Supporter
"You've got pirates in my Cthulhu!"

"You've got Cthulhu in my pirates!"

Maybe it's just me. If I had known that the first three adventures set in Freeport were all Cthulhu, all the time, I would have been more inclined to buy them. But they didn't call it Cthulhuport.

Hmm, now there's an idea.

Chimera

First Post
Ipissimus said:
2. The Cursed Item: These days, it seems like cursed items don't get much play. Nobody halfway sensible even touches an item until it's been checked out by the friendly neighbourhood mage. But what about an item that doesn't need to be touched to cause utter havoc?

In my last setting, there was an item called The Worm Sigil. It was a non-euclidian statuette of a worm like thing. Owned by Marian Applegate. Outwardly the mom-and-apple pie owner of a very nice Inn in a major city, secretly the nasty vicious ruler of a Thieve's Guild (one of many competing guilds in that city). Imagine Marian Ross of Happy Days secretly moonlighting as an insane Yakusa Crime Boss in a Guild War.

Um, maybe don't eat the meat pie.

Just looking at the Sigil forced a Sanity Check. Having it around long term.... Well I honestly hadn't bothered to decide everything that it did, because I usually don't bother with such things until they become necessary.

Ibram

First Post
This thread is one of the best ever...

Some ideas of mine...

Poison Gold: A failing gold mine is suddenly revitalized... but disturbing things seem to follow where ever the gold goes. The truth is that the sudden influx of gold comes from a temple the miners found far beneath the earth. They have looted all the 'hurts your eyes to look' statues and melted them down, mixing it in with the gold from the mine.

Prophet of the Deep Woods: a new nature based cult is emerging, brought by currious strangers from a foreign land (when I ran it they were Elves). Though its teachings appear to be similar to the druids there are refrences and practices that druids find slightly disturbing. members of the cult have been leaving the city, traveling to meet the 'Prophet' of their new god... and are never seen again.

pemerton

Legend
Our current (Rolemaster) campaign is set in an East Asian setting, using a mix of Kara-Tur and Bushido maps, and a mix of the Kara-Tur and Freeport timelines. By the time I ran the Freeport adventures the PCs were reasonably high level, so I had to make quite a few changes.

One thing that worked well was inspired by an adventure seed in D20 CoC: there have been a series of murders in Freeport, of increasing frequency, and the location of the murders makes a pattern with the house of the murderer at the centre (although my players never figured out this pattern, or the significance of the frequency - I can't remember now how they found the murderer's house - maybe I stuck it on top of the entrance to the cultists' lair, or maybe the Paladin detected demons).

All that was left of the murder victims was a scalped head - when the PCs eventually found the murderer's house, they were too late to stop the summoning, but found a scene of flayed bodies sitting in a cirlce, with their skins and scalps draped over them like cloaks. A Past Vision spell revealed that the summoner had opened a gate, and the Entity that had come through (T'sen, or Ssendam Lord of the Insane converted into RM stats) had consumed the summoner.

There were various lesser demons to fight, and then a confrontation with T'sen, who had flown out on his Psychic Skiff to observe the lighthouse, waiting for the arrival of the Unspeakable One.

Some other changes made to the basic Freeport scenario included having the island in fact be the body of a dead god (inspired by Requium for a God) who had died fighting T'sen and other voidal entities many thousands of years ago, and who therefore constituted a sort of interface between the material plane and the void (Far Realm). This had been foreshadowed by an earlier meeting with the dead god's mad spirit while the party was on the ethereal plane.

In conversations with the local nature spirits (increasingly driven insane), the PCs learned that the dead god's eyes had opened, with Octobats and other strange beasts coming through. This was foreshadowed with strange catches in fishermen's nets, and climaxed with a fight with a Kraken Drake (8 tentacles, two heads breathing Nether, which in D&D would probably be negative energy).

Thus was sense of wrongness created.

The overall climax I ran a little differently from Freeport - I dropped the McGuffin, and had the PCs disrupt the crystal directly. At the moment of climax, the stars aligned strangely above the lighthouse, and an evil meteor descended from the heavens. Strange beings (the Smoke Generals, lifted from the Druid limited series of comics by Warren Ellis in the mid-90s) wearing the same robes as the monks of the God of Knowledge (an esoteric Buddhis sect, in my version) also arrived on a boat, although the PCs took them for enemies rather than allies and killed them.

Instead of simply telling the players that things felt strange or wrong, I was able to introduce a number of strange effects to reflect the piercing of the barriers between the normal world and the void. Thus, the spell caster with True Sight up (looking for snake men in human form, invisible cultists etc) was able to see through the many layers of the void at once, and use that ability to move through voidal rather than material geometry (basically Dimension Door at will). When the warrior mage was cut, he started bleeding Spiderbats rather than blood. The sea turned to jelly, and the fighters were able to walk on it. The Paladin entered into communion with the Dead God, and was able to persuade him to focus on the Buddha rather than the void, and thus to rise out of the sea to deflect the dark meteor out of the sky to the bottom of the ocean. The location of a dark god at the bottom of the ocean has now become the main campaign focus.

In terms of overall flavour, I would say this scenario was somewhere between Cthulhu and Conan - there were moments of genuine disgust (eg at the flayed murder victims) and a sense of unreality conquering sanity (at the lighthouse climax), but also a lot of dead cultists, demon-slaying and bathing in the ichor of foes (Kraken Drake, T'sen, etc). I think the latter is hard to avoid in D&D-style fantasy.

One other thing I have found works well is drawing direct connections between the voidal beings and the clerical PCs. The latter are Buddhist, and thus believe in overcoming worldly entanglements by achieving enlightenment. It has thus worked quite well to prepare as player handouts a few "mad ravings" written by cultists, which talk about the voidal beings as also having travelled beyond the confines of the mundane, escaping the illusions of the Smoke Generals and realising true emptiness. This generates a sense of disturbance and a hint of corruption around what should be a comforting ideal at the heart of normality, namely, the campaign's mainstream clerical orders.

In core rules D&D, where Buddhist PCs might be few and far between, I think that Boccob, and perhaps Wee Jas, would lend themselves well to this sort of treatment. And clerics of St Cuthbert could be cast as simpletons, whose insistence on common sense blinds them to the deeper truths (of the Far Realm, etc) which can't be denied by those who have experienced them. Like an earlier poster said, to get a CofC feel, its not enough to have bad things - those bad things have to suggest that what we take to be the good things are not really good at all, but are either worthless illusions or already corrupted.

iron-spyder

First Post
Hobo said:
Just because REH and HPL were pen pals doesn't mean that their stories are particularly similar, though. Even Howards Mythos stories are only very superficially similar to Lovecraft's. There's a theory out there--I think it's in one of the essays in the recent Del Rey Conan reprintings, that Howard's influences were much more the Adventure magazine of historical swashbuckling romances, not the Weird Tales tradition. Which I know is ironic, since he was one of the Weird Tales "three musketeers."

Actually, Conan's tales take place in the same world and share the same gods as Lovecraft's Mythos, this is noted in several places, the names of the gods differ slightly, but HPL, REH and CAS (Clark Ashton Smith) were correspondents who pooled their talents, and shared ideas and entities in their work.

To the original poster: look into the master of weird heroic fantasy for ideas to mesh Mythos-style horror with fantasy, Clark Ashton Smith. Many of his works are on wikipedia, especially Averoigne. Check out the Ballantine Books paperback Zothique for some of his absolute best.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads