D&D 5E D&D and who it's aimed at

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm that DM... right here.

If after 2 or 3 dungeon crawls you aren't ready to settle down, my games wont work for you...
Game of Thrones, eh?

DM: "Your serving man comes in with your morning wine."
Player: "I slit his throat."
DM: "What?"
Player: "I...........slit............his............throat."
DM: "wh-why!?"
Player: "You said this was a Game of Thrones style game, right?"
DM: "Yes."
Player: "Then he was going to betray me. I slit his throat."
DM: "Within moments your serving man is thrashing at your feet, his lifeblood spurting out from beneath the fingers he has closed around his own throat." ::::crosses off betrayal plot #1:::: 🤦‍♂️

Game of Thrones, eh?

DM: "Your serving man comes in with your morning wine."
Player: "I slit his throat."
DM: "What?"
Player: "I...........slit............his............throat."
DM: "wh-why!?"
Player: "You said this was a Game of Thrones style game, right?"
DM: "Yes."
Player: "Then he was going to betray me. I slit his throat."
DM: "Within moments your serving man is thrashing at your feet, his lifeblood spurting out from beneath the fingers he has closed around his own throat." ::::crosses off betrayal plot #1:::: 🤦‍♂️
killing people that you don't know for sure are going to betray you is a great way to make sure no one trusts you and as such you just launched 1000 betrayal plots....

hawkeyefan

Legend
I see two warriors and a caster... only 1 is a race that would seem odd (but lets be honest not THAT odd) in 2e.

I also think that this image comes from the Strixhaven book, right? So it's a book that's explicitly about a school environment.

Expecting dungeon delvers seems like a silly expectation, in that sense. They look like freshmen arriving at school for the first time... which seems entirely on point.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
On the note of "Old School Dungeon Delving", I'm at this really weird point where I've never actually been in or played in one. Everyone I play with has the attitude of "that's overdone and played out", but I've never got to do it. I've been trying to convince them to let me run something like Barrowmaze, but I doubt it will ever come to pass.

Jahydin

Hero
I also think that this image comes from the Strixhaven book, right? So it's a book that's explicitly about a school environment.

Expecting dungeon delvers seems like a silly expectation, in that sense. They look like freshmen arriving at school for the first time... which seems entirely on point.
Yeah, all of them do I think. One of the reasons I find the picture at odds with the rest of the art.

Remove ads