D&D Beyond Beta: Your First Thoughts Thread!

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use. AD

Presumably because they are owned by twitch and it gives them a pre-existing structure to use.

AD

koga305

First Post
Looks solid, although as said the Twitch account component is annoying.

Nifty easter egg: for monster stats, each statistic is shown with a picture of a certain animal. Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Bear's Endurance, Fox's Cunning, Owl's Wisdom, Eagle's Splendor - they're all references to enhance ability.

First Impression: yup, this is a pretty version of the Hypertext SRD.
Second Impression: That's pretty much it. Not much else to say for this phase...

Patrick McGill

First Post
What's the difference between signing up for a twitch account or signing up for a DDE only account. I don't see the problem there at all. I never had a twitch account, the sign up didn't have me leave the DDE website at all. No fuss. What's the problem?

Anyway, yeah, the compendium part is about what I expected. Nice filters, the spell, monster, and magic item lists will be super useful for me to quickly look things up. This was the easiest phase, however, as it's just text and filters. the Builder will be the true test.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
I'll take a closer look at this later. I don't mind the account sign up, I was expecting something along those lines, but all I'm seeing is a web interface right now, no option to download anything. Of course, maybe that's because I haven't created an account yet. Either way my interest in this is in having an app for it on my phone or tablet, not necessarily using it via a website. It's splitting hairs a bit I know, but all the same that's what I thought it was. I could have just misinterpreted what it was supposed to be or perhaps that's coming later.

Anyway, something to look at later when I'm not at work.

Patrick McGill

First Post
I'll take a closer look at this later. I don't mind the account sign up, I was expecting something along those lines, but all I'm seeing is a web interface right now, no option to download anything. Of course, maybe that's because I haven't created an account yet. Either way my interest in this is in having an app for it on my phone or tablet, not necessarily using it via a website. It's splitting hairs a bit I know, but all the same that's what I thought it was. I could have just misinterpreted what it was supposed to be or perhaps that's coming later.

I'm expecting a downloadable app as well. They said it'll work offline when it's released, so they pretty much have to have an app.

Barantor

Explorer
I'm a fan of twitch and what the whole Amazon conglomerate is doing so this works out pretty well.

As far as the beta, it's ok so far but we'll have to see what happens once they open up more parts of it.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
Nifty so far, I like what I'm seeing. Awkward to use on my phone, but not unusable.

Magic items, though.... Know how something says Sword (any) well, there is a specific entry for every version possible of that sword. Rapier of life stealing, short sword of life stealing, greatsword of lifestealing.... makes finding weapons on the list more difficult than it has to be. They need to make weapons of the same enchantment collapsible or something.

The magic item filters are freaking amazing, though, I can toggle item types (ring, armor and weapon, say) and then toggle the type of item I am looking for. Seems they don't have a lot of the granularity implemented yet, but I like the idea of saying "Give me magic items with warding or concealment effects" and see an array of appropriate items. Keywords and tags will make things a lot easier for me to look things up when doing building or design.

There is no option to download anything, it's just the Web interface at Phase 1.

Remove ads

Remove ads