D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Lurker in the Deep

gyor

Legend
Did you only run the Human generator? Do any of those names correspond to the major Forgotten Realms ethnicities? The surnames say Chondathan or Tethyrian, but the given names are all over the place and then some. And sorry, but Bemaald Cloudsoul is not a Lizardfolk name.

Are you aware of a book on Faerun languages to English translations that the rest of aren't?

Honestly I wasn't really that concerned with tying them to a particular ethnicity, just that they sounded like fun fantasy names. I just used the blood elf generator because if we are honest 99% of people won't notice or care. If you want names more fitting to FR ethnicities, that can be done too.

gyor

Legend
Heedi al-Ir Taahyaa ibn On'bay al-Ma Ajeef al-Ad Ah'taa al-Natifi Abu Jama Ry'ul al-Khamii Bee'ni ibn Taa'ad al-Shafjii Kha'sa ibn Seli al-Ha Ni'mee ibn An'ri al-Ud Abu Qaadi Salaa al-Mee Naajy ibn Samee al-Khabaii

How are these for Fantasy Calashite or Zakharan names.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ah yes, I remember this.

Stewart only says that Ravnica was very well-received, so much so that they are now committed to releasing more settings. Also says they couldn't approve one in 6 months, which does hint at another, but of course that "other" one could simply by Eberron getting the final stamp of "yes we will print and release this in hardcover."

Nothing about what type of settings, or the frequency. Hopefully it does mean they make releasing one new setting a year their new target, but nothing proving one way or another.

Zendikar is making a lot of sense though if a setting is dropping in 2020. November release timed with the new cards is the perfect opportunity, and aligns with the Guildmaster's release during the whole Ravnica mayhem.

The question was in regards to Magic settings specifically, and his answer was for Magic specifically.

Who knows what they will do, honestly: there will be surprises next year, I'm sure, but Zendikar is enticing as one possibility, and does the best in my mind to explain their recent UA tests and what they might have been holding on to the Archivist for.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I hope MtG D&D Settings don't step on the toes of Classic D&D Settings or vis versa.

For sure, I don't think it's a zero sum game: given the goal of an Evergreen rule system, there is plenty of room for old settings, Magic settings and even new settings.

gyor

Legend
For sure, I don't think it's a zero sum game: given the goal of an Evergreen rule system, there is plenty of room for old settings, Magic settings and even new settings.

If it's a strict 1 setting per year then it will create, an MtG vs Classic competition battle that will divide the Player base.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If it's a strict 1 setting per year then it will create, an MtG vs Classic competition battle that will divide the Player base.

Well, think about this: in 2019, we have four settings visited, across four books (Avernus being outside of the Realms). That doesn't even count Goodman Games foray into the Known World. If they do one Guildmasters Guide style book a year, it doesn't.ean only one Setting gets serviced a year, particularly if they continue to progressively open up the DMsGuild.

gyor

Legend
The question was in regards to Magic settings specifically, and his answer was for Magic specifically.

Who knows what they will do, honestly: there will be surprises next year, I'm sure, but Zendikar is enticing as one possibility, and does the best in my mind to explain their recent UA tests and what they might have been holding on to the Archivist for.

I get the Lurker of the Deep and Aberrant Mind subclasses being tied to Zendikar, but the Wild Soul Barbarian seems to Feywild flavoured, does Zendikar have anything like a Feywild? Maybe Shadowmoor or Eldraine could serve this function? And I have no idea how an Astral Monk and Archivist Artificer fit into Zendikar's themes honestly. Does Zendikar have an Astral Plane? Does it have Psionics.

And how do the MtG settings fit into D&D as a whole and will any of these MtG settings, be mentioned in future books like the classic settings are?

gyor

Legend
Well, think about this: in 2019, we have four settings visited, across four books (Avernus being outside of the Realms). That doesn't even count Goodman Games foray into the Known World. If they do one Guildmasters Guide style book a year, it doesn't.ean only one Setting gets serviced a year, particularly if they continue to progressively open up the DMsGuild.

Eberron and FR, I don't count Greyhawk the amount of setting lore is mostly on one small town, and Hell is tied to FR along with other settings, its not a setting in it's own right. The plot is uttered tied to FR. That makes in actual practice two settings, not 4.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I get the Lurker of the Deep and Aberrant Mind subclasses being tied to Zendikar, but the Wild Soul Barbarian seems to Feywild flavoured, does Zendikar have anything like a Feywild? Maybe Shadowmoor or Eldraine could serve this function? And I have no idea how an Astral Monk and Archivist Artificer fit into Zendikar's themes honestly. Does Zendikar have an Astral Plane? Does it have Psionics.

And how do the MtG settings fit into D&D as a whole and will any of these MtG settings, be mentioned in future books like the classic settings are?

In Magic, stuff that can be described as "Psionic" are always Blue Spells, as indeed all of the stuff the these two recent Subclasses do, and the Archivist has a Blue vibe too, like this Zendikar card:

downloadfile-1.jpg

The previous UA article can be read, on the other hand, as Red Mana themed. Red is involved with high damage, with battle, with fire, with raw CHAOS. For the Monk, I would refer to these two Red spell cards, though not Zendikar:

downloadfile-2.jpg

downloadfile-3.jpg

Other of the Monk abilities seem to fit in with Red as a whole.

The chaos magic Barbarian that helps allies seems pretty Zendikar Red to me (the Feywild like the Flumphs might well be a smokescreen, as was done with the "Greek Myth" UA for Magic Centaurs and Minotaurs), as with these Zendikar Minotaurs:

kazuul-warlord-22560-medium.jpg

downloadfile-4.jpg
downloadfile-5.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Eberron and FR, I don't count Greyhawk the amount of setting lore is mostly on one small town, and Hell is tied to FR along with other settings, its not a setting in it's own right. The plot is uttered tied to FR. That makes in actual practice two settings, not 4.

A significant region of GH, with geopolitics and religion, got detailed. That's a first step, and my point is that they might build on that.

Avernus is to the Realms as Avernus is to Greyhawk. It's a different part of the Multiverse.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases