D&D Beyond Twitter Account says OGL will be addressed soon

gban007

Adventurer
Apparently, the folks at D&D Beyond have a different definition of "soon" than most normal thinking people. Hopefully, that means that there is a change of plan with the OGL, but if their strategy is to say something after the 12th then clearly they were just lying to stall for time.
I don't know, probably used to everything in the gaming space, especially with the Soon TM stuff, but I'm used to soon being easily a few weeks.....

see

Pedantic Grognard
Hmm.

If they are going to stick to their guns, a press release defending their plans would be fairly easy to write. Plant a flag defending Wizbro's rights to its IP, talk up how the OGL 1.1 still allows extensive 3PP participation, etc. It's not like the furor will be lessened by waiting for more and more people to weigh in (various publishers, YouTubers, the EFF, Cory Doctrow, etc.) before declaring they're going full speed ahead.

On the other hand, if they're changing course, there's all sorts of people who have to sign off on the new plans and how to present the new plans, shuttling things between execs and legal and back.

On the gripping hand, of course, it could just be that there's an internal argument over which course to take, and all we're seeing is a delay before Wizbro declares that it's going to do everything in its power to kill the OGL 1.0a.

Dausuul

Legend
As an aside, how to YOU pronounce WotC?
Lately, I pronounce it "Wolfram and Hart."

Odds on someone -- Crawford, Mearls, etc -- leaving over this? Possibly before the official WotC response?
I think if it happens, it will happen quietly after the fact, and we won't know the details for years if ever.

Publicly torching your employer on the way out the door is a very bad career move, no matter how justified. And neither man is in a position to call it the foolishness of youth and move past it in a few years.

Remove ads