D&D 5E D&D Beyond Will Delist Two Books On May 17th

D&D Beyond will be permanently removing Volo’s Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on May 17th in favor of the upcoming Monsters of the Multiverse book, which largely compiles and updates that material. As per the D&D Beyond FAQ for Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse: Can I still buy Volo’s Guide to Monsters or Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on D&D Beyond...

D&D Beyond will be permanently removing Volo’s Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on May 17th in favor of the upcoming Monsters of the Multiverse book, which largely compiles and updates that material.

AF030AF7-6B9A-4812-8080-A66465876F13.jpeg

As per the D&D Beyond FAQ for Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse:

Can I still buy Volo’s Guide to Monsters or Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes on D&D Beyond?
Starting on May 16, you can acquire the streamlined and up-to-date creatures and character race options, as well as a plethora of exciting new content, by purchasing Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse. On May 17, Volo's Guide to Monsters and Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes will be discontinued from our digital marketplace.

If you already own these two books you will still have access to your purchases and any characters or encounters you built with them. They won’t be removed from your purchased sourcebooks. Therefore, if you want the "fluff" and tables in those two tomes in D&D Beyond, you need to purchase them soon.

This is the first time books have been wholesale delisted from the D&D Beyond Platform rather than updated (much like physical book reprints are with errata and changes).

There’s no word from WotC on whether physical books will be discontinued and be allowed to sell out.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
One unaddressed question, though: if you buy a complete book with only some Legacy elements from now on, do you still get the Legacy elements, or are you only getting the still-approved elements? I have to assume the former, because the latter is going to create some upset.
What they've done already has created "some upset". Seems that they're fine with it.

redwullf

Explorer
This is why I still buy physical. Fortunately they’re not taking the content of the books away from people who already bought them. For now. But I prefer to actually own my books, instead of paying to be allowed to access digital content.
Well, they’d have to refund us, which would be a logistical pain in the butt. Easier to just let us keep the ebooks.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I don‘t. But I can’t imagine they’d just take away ~$50 in books from thousands of people.
You have more trust in corporations then I do, then.

I mean, for the time being, it would be a pretty bad PR move. But in another 10 years? There’s no way they’re going to continue hosting outdated digital content forever. Look what happened with the 4e tools.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
A
So, I was looking at races and noticed that legacy races are not done purely by delisting an entire book...

View attachment 157113

However, the The Tortle Package has also disappeared from the sources page.

Basically if a PC playable race is in Monsters of the Multiverse then they are Legacy-ed out of whatever source book they were originally published in...
Anyone checked on SCAG Subclasses yet?

Dire Bare

Legend
A

Anyone checked on SCAG Subclasses yet?
Pretty sure the only content tagged "legacy" are races superseded in Monsters of the Multiverse. Those "legacy" races will likely still be available to purchase as a part of the source books they come from until if/when the books themselves are tagged "legacy".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Pretty sure the only content tagged "legacy" are races superseded in Monsters of the Multiverse. Those "legacy" races will likely still be available to purchase as a part of the source books they come from until if/when the books themselves are tagged "legacy".
Wondering then, are the SCAG versions updated to match Xanathaer's/Tasha's?

Remove ads

Remove ads