D&D 5E D&D Blog: Creating Ravenloft

Davies

Legend
I disagree, and I also disagree that the injokes cited in the article would prevent it from being used as one, regardless.

You stated that some of the references cited are not trivial. Which ones?

Last edited:

This is hating for hate's sake. You do not need to know that the Coldlight Walker in Rime of the Frostmaiden is based on the movie poster for The Thing in order to run Rime of the Frostmaiden.

This is hating for hate's sake. You do not need to know that the Coldlight Walker in Rime of the Frostmaiden is based on the movie poster for The Thing in order to run Rime of the Frostmaiden.
Who said I hated the book? Not I.
But when you make gaming references, make sure everyone will understand. Is that so hard?

Davies

Legend
But when you make gaming references, make sure everyone will understand. Is that so hard?
Yes, given the woefully poor state of mind-reading techniques to be found in the publishing industry. How is anyone to know what 'everyone' will understand?

Yes, given the woefully poor state of mind-reading techniques to be found in the publishing industry. How is anyone to know what 'everyone' will understand?
A clear reference? How is one to know the references to TCoE if one does not have the book? ( I have it, do not worry)
I ( nor anyone for that matter) should not have to go to the internet to know/understand the references.

But yep, mind reading skills are no longer what they used to be.

Davies

Legend
A clear reference? How is one to know the references to TCoE if one does not have the book?

And I say again -- that's trivia. If someone doesn't have Tasha's, then they don't need to know that any of the "creepy tales" associated with the Teeth have something to do with Ravenloft, in order to use the material in this book. If someone has Tasha's, but not this book, their ability to use of that one is not diminished.

It sounds pretty hateful to me. None of this is relevant to gaming - it's a collection jokes, and "you know, we based this monster on a throwaway line in I6" stuff.

Is it necessary to state in the text that "An inventor requests the characters’ insight into a pill-sized device she extracted from her own body" is an X-Files reference in order to use the book?

I've news for you - all the 5e books are chock full of that kind of pop culture reference.

Stormonu

Legend
... I don't own one. Assuming you do, what are the instructions that I'm not supposed to follow?
Instructions from Azalin on building what appears to be a Spelljamming helm and watermark of a tradesman vessel, and co-ordinates to meet him at (15W 32N “M” - [Sigil Lakes])

Remove ads