• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D campaign bible

DungeonMaester

First Post
Ryan Stoughton said:
Who is this bible for? What kind of game are you running? What are the players into? What are you most interested in?

My self and the players.

For me, it will serve as the prep work for the plots npcs and adventures.

For the players, it will give the background information required to make a character that is really apart of my world, and not just generic enough to fit.

---Rusty

Ry

Explorer
OK this is probably the hardest and most important question of all: How much do your players usually read before a campaign?

Ry

Explorer
Yeah, then I've totally been there. I'd recommend trying to get your campaign bible down to 4 pages, and have some color pictures on there to make it even more friendly. It seems kind of like a downer but I've found it REALLY satisfying to make up those 4 pages (or 8 pages if I do lots of layout and use color pictures all over the place). If you can hand them 4 sheets, front and back with pictures and some very short definitions, they get a handle on the setting right away.

Slapzilla

First Post
From there you can develop what the players are drawn towards. If you're like many DMs I spoken with, you've already got the details worked out in your head for most things and understand where to go for the rest. If possible, try to give them a small space for introduction purposes and then follow where they go. That way, you'll be prepped for the intro and you don't have to have the whole region developed in relation to the world and it's history just to play a few sessions. Keep us posted.

szilard

First Post
DungeonMaester said:
Interesting. That is making me rethink how I am doing my skeleton outline.

Hope it does so in a helpful way...

Another difficulty I have is not coming up with culture, but how is evolves through out the history. My design goal is to create a world with a comprehensive time line with its own culture and politics that change as the time does so I can pick a point of time and throw the players in the mix. I think that is a lofty goal.

Will the campaign feature time travel? If not, you may run into an issue where you KNOW how history will end up... and the PCs might do something to change it. It can be tempting to not let them (particularly if you're fond of the historical story you've written), but that way lies player frustration...

-Stuart

DungeonMaester

First Post
Slapzilla said:
From there you can develop what the players are drawn towards. If you're like many DMs I spoken with, you've already got the details worked out in your head for most things and understand where to go for the rest. If possible, try to give them a small space for introduction purposes and then follow where they go. That way, you'll be prepped for the intro and you don't have to have the whole region developed in relation to the world and it's history just to play a few sessions. Keep us posted.

Indeed I do have most of the ideas already drawn up, just not organized, which is the reason I wanted tips for making a campaign bible and this tread. I will most certainly keep you posted on the progress, although there wont be any while I am on vacation.

szilard said:
Hope it does so in a helpful way...

Will the campaign feature time travel? If not, you may run into an issue where you KNOW how history will end up... and the PCs might do something to change it. It can be tempting to not let them (particularly if you're fond of the historical story you've written), but that way lies player frustration...

-Stuart

This idea about history came to me after looking through 'The grand history of the realms'. I see how that could be a problem, but I plan on each campaign having its own course of history based how the story goes, but the bible will be the set outline for it.

---Rusty

MarauderX

Explorer
I've started a good number of historical events that have happened in the campaign world's past as it relates to the happens now. There are also quite a number that are there for flavor. A lot of this is also great for a bard to know or learn about.

Famous Items
Well-known organizations - who heads them, what do they control

Check out the old gazeteers for the Mystara setting. Each one has different depth and breadth of detail as it pertains to the specific setting; perhaps mimic one or two for your own places of adventure.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
szilard: nice list

DM: as has been touched on, your probably safe in assuming your players have monkey-like attention spans, and a hand-out for them should be focused. That doesn't preclude doing a longer work for yourself, and I would encourage it, in part for the simple reason that ideas not written down tend to go away, and when written down, organization counts for a lot when trying to access later.

Of course, you can try to bridge the gap between your players and you. Something longer that is well-organised, and as noted with lots of pics, might be read by them, at least for information relevant to their charecters.

In terms of organization, you might try the following:

-race & class (this may be short if going by the book, or may warrant two quite long sections if there is lots of specific info).

-regions (most of what is listed in the first post can go here)

-equipment and money (if needed)

-gods, planes, and religions (you can do these any way you want, but you have to think about them at least a little)

-historical overview (some of this can go in the above sections).

My main advice though is to try to have fun with it. Follow your own interest. Share it with other gamers if you think its decent.

And don't expect players to read much of it (if you share it with them). BUT, then again, they may read some of it, and do things with it you never expected. I have seen it happen.

Remove ads