D&D Movie/TV D&D Cinematic Universe. What would it be like? What do you want to see?

The difficult part of D&D creating an MCU like 'universe' lies in not having the huge bank of pre-tested characters that the MCU has to draw on, and characters are what makes movies.

That said, they absolutely have the opportunity to use the various settings to explore a wealth of genres (was it Perkins who mentioned way back in '15 or so that was what they wanted for the settings themselves in 5e anyhow) so as long as they can keep coming up with solid characters to populate those films they could be all right.

The advantage they have (IMO) is that they don't have to tightly tie the stories together, but still have a chance for a Tier IV crossover event to save the 'fundamental order of the multiverse' with heroes from different settings/movies coming together, but that still requires the audience falling in love with those characters in the first place.

The Forgotten Realms has countless popular NPCs you could do a series around, FR has hundreds of profitable novels, comic books, video games, etc..., with all kinds of heroes, like the Chosen of Mystra, the Griffin Brotherhood, Brimstone Angels, etc..., and tons of big named villians.

I've literally only heard of one of those, and that's because I have read quite a bit about the FR.

I don't think that those are as "popular" as you think they are. Maybe they are inside the FR fandom, but they're not outside of that.

They are more well known and popular then Guardians of the Galaxy was before the first movie. Elminster has sold millions of books, Drizzt has sold 10's of millions, I'm not sure how many Brimstone Angels and Griffin Brotherhood sold, but it was enough they kept making them until they decided to externalize the novels (bad move, the novels were the ideas/character/story factory for WotC, that can be milked for future movies). Minsc has tons of fans too.

They are more well known and popular then Guardians of the Galaxy was before the first movie. Elminster has sold millions of books, Drizzt has sold 10's of millions, I'm not sure how many Brimstone Angels and Griffin Brotherhood sold, but it was enough they kept making them until they decided to externalize the novels (bad move, the novels were the ideas/character/story factory for WotC, that can be milked for future movies). Minsc has tons of fans too.

I'll add the rescent D&D FR MtG set made over $100 million dollars, so that a big market for FR characters.

Remove ads