• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Diversifying and Rethinking

malraux

First Post
Anyhoo, as an aside to those who have played both Ashardalon and Ravenloft, is there much difference between the two? I like Ravenloft, but I get the sense that Ashardalon would more or less be the same thing just with different window dressing (i.e. its obviously a different setting which means likely different monsters and environment cards, etc.). As such, if this is the case, not sure I'd be willing to drop another $50 on it along side Ravenloft.

Some minor refinements: starting items don't suck, some of the monster AI is a bit better with some monsters moving away from the party spawning new tiles and monsters, there's a neat "exploding dungeon" thing wherein you find the last tile for the scenario and that triggers laying out 5-6 tiles at once into a large area, there are doors. Plus obviously new characters, monsters, scenarios, tiles, tokens, etc. If ravenloft does what you like and you don't game often, then I wouldn't put arshaldlon at the top of my board game list.

thewok

First Post
As long as they don't try to make a movie again.
I love the D&D movies. I think each one is great for different reasons.

The first one is a classic for cheesy lines, Jeremy Irons' ham-laden portrayal of Profion, and the skinniest dwarf ever put on film. I also applaud the vision of the director's decision to use a Thora Birch statue rather than the actress herself. Genius.

Wrath of the Dragon God was fun, but in a different way. I enjoyed how it was more recognizable as a D&D movie. It was like watching an adventure I might play around the table. Also, Damodar was in it, and, while his lips weren't blue anymore, he was still a badass. Krixx the Maligned was a fun character, too.

Then there was the monkey head staff, and the googly-eyed attendant to the mage that carried it. Man, that attendant gave my friends and me no end of good laughs.

Also, Lux was just stupidly beautiful.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads