D&D 5E D&D "eSports" - Interested?

Daron Woodson

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Hey, EnWorld![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Would you be interested in playing the D&D 5e equivalent of competitive eSports? I'm laying the foundation for a project called the Gladiator's League (working title), and I need to conduct an interest check. Already hooked and want to help? Skip to the "What I Need!" section below if you're sold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Have questions? Read on:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is Gladiator's League?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The GL will be a way to play organized, competitive (and sometimes also co-operative) Dungeons & Dragons PvP (and sometimes also PvE) tournaments, matches, and special events.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tournaments will include much more than simple beat-em-up 1v1 matches. We're talking team matches (2v2, 3v3, and 4v4), competitive dungeon crawling, free-for-all matches, "monster matches" wherein you compete to collect more kills than your opponents, and so on.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most matches will likely require characters to be Adventurer's League legal. Don't know what that means? Basically: you'll have to limit your character-building to the Player's Handbook plus ONE other source.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Who am I?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm u/AbandonedArts on Reddit, and a small-fry third-party publisher (historically, mostly for Pathfinder) and the founder and DM-Moderator of the r/RedditPlays5e subreddit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How Will it Work?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matches will be played over Discord... sort of. Competitors will post their actions to the DM-Moderator and the DM will implement those actions on their behalf. Because the players aren't rolling any dice, tallying any HP, or moving any miniatures themselves, or mistakenly taking too many actions, cheating isn't a really a possibility (even accidental cheating). A record of all rolls will be recorded and posted publicly by the DM-Moderator of the match.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matches will be posted for archival, analysis, and spectation on a subreddit dedicated to the project. This dedicated sub is also where discussion, info, strategizing, (optional) roleplaying, and other general chatter will occur.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The best part? Unlike most play-by-post or play-by-chat games, there's no danger of your game fizzling out because another participant lost interest and stopped posting. Players will have a set amount of time to input their actions; after this period of time has passed, the DM-Moderator of the match will step in and take over the turn. After two (2) infractions within the space of a single match, the DM-Moderator will simply take over the absentee player's actions entirely, and finish the match on the absentee player's behalf.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Absenteeism and failure to post on time may result in XP penalties and such, but a handful of bad apples will never spoil the batch. Tournament winners (and placers) and all-around all-star participants could earn bragging rights and special subreddit flairs and Discord roles and such.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What I Need![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I need names. I'm making great progress in terms of laying the foundation of the project and in working out many of the nitpicky formatting and rules-interpretation considerations that the project will require... but what I don't have any idea about is how many games (and how much of the related work) my very small team and I can manage in terms of running and processing the matches. In the near future, I'll need players to run matches for - I've got to establish a baseline for how many players and how many matches we can reasonably manage at any given time. We've got some guesstimates, but that'll only take us so far.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So: if you're interested in playing some competitive D&D in the near future, please mention u/AbandonedArts on Reddit or send a message to my inbox there. If you'd prefer to be contacted via e-mail (or Discord), please include an e-mail address (or handle) in your reply.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Are you not interested in PvP but definitely are interested in some competitive (meaning: ranked and scored) PvE? Send me a message specifying such and I'll add you to the broader mailing list for the Gladiator's League project in general, which almost certainly will include some PvE events and games.[/FONT]

Daron Woodson

First Post
[FONT=&quot]Hey, EnWorld![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Would you be interested in playing the D&D 5e equivalent of competitive eSports? I'm laying the foundation for a project called the Gladiator's League (working title), and I need to conduct an interest check. Already hooked and want to help? Skip to the "What I Need!" section below if you're sold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Have questions? Read on:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is Gladiator's League?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The GL will be a way to play organized, competitive (and sometimes also co-operative) Dungeons & Dragons PvP (and sometimes also PvE) tournaments, matches, and special events.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Tournaments will include much more than simple beat-em-up 1v1 matches. We're talking team matches (2v2, 3v3, and 4v4), competitive dungeon crawling, free-for-all matches, "monster matches" wherein you compete to collect more kills than your opponents, and so on.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Most matches will likely require characters to be Adventurer's League legal. Don't know what that means? Basically: you'll have to limit your character-building to the Player's Handbook plus ONE other source.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Who am I?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I'm u/AbandonedArts on Reddit, and a small-fry third-party publisher (historically, mostly for Pathfinder) and the founder and DM-Moderator of the r/RedditPlays5e subreddit.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]How Will it Work?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matches will be played over Discord... sort of. Competitors will post their actions to the DM-Moderator and the DM will implement those actions on their behalf. Because the players aren't rolling any dice, tallying any HP, or moving any miniatures themselves, or mistakenly taking too many actions, cheating isn't a really a possibility (even accidental cheating). A record of all rolls will be recorded and posted publicly by the DM-Moderator of the match.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Matches will be posted for archival, analysis, and spectation on a subreddit dedicated to the project. This dedicated sub is also where discussion, info, strategizing, (optional) roleplaying, and other general chatter will occur.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The best part? Unlike most play-by-post or play-by-chat games, there's no danger of your game fizzling out because another participant lost interest and stopped posting. Players will have a set amount of time to input their actions; after this period of time has passed, the DM-Moderator of the match will step in and take over the turn. After two (2) infractions within the space of a single match, the DM-Moderator will simply take over the absentee player's actions entirely, and finish the match on the absentee player's behalf.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Absenteeism and failure to post on time may result in XP penalties and such, but a handful of bad apples will never spoil the batch. Tournament winners (and placers) and all-around all-star participants could earn bragging rights and special subreddit flairs and Discord roles and such.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What I Need![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I need names. I'm making great progress in terms of laying the foundation of the project and in working out many of the nitpicky formatting and rules-interpretation considerations that the project will require... but what I don't have any idea about is how many games (and how much of the related work) my very small team and I can manage in terms of running and processing the matches. In the near future, I'll need players to run matches for - I've got to establish a baseline for how many players and how many matches we can reasonably manage at any given time. We've got some guesstimates, but that'll only take us so far.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So: if you're interested in playing some competitive D&D in the near future, please mention u/AbandonedArts on Reddit or send a message to my inbox there. If you'd prefer to be contacted via e-mail (or Discord), please include an e-mail address (or handle) in your reply.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Are you not interested in PvP but definitely are interested in some competitive (meaning: ranked and scored) PvE? Send me a message specifying such and I'll add you to the broader mailing list for the Gladiator's League project in general, which almost certainly will include some PvE events and games.[/FONT]

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It looks like you accidentally posted this thread twice. I've merged them for you and slipped it over to the promotions forum! :)

Daron Woodson

First Post
How thoughtful!

To be clear for any folks that might actually find this post buried in the Promotions Forum: this isn't a promotion or an ad.

This is an interest check for a free, just-for-fun community project looking for interested playtesters to join in in the near future.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases