D&D 5E D&D Gem Dragons Are Officially Back

So if you're (not) like me and you don't have the time or patience to watch Spoilers & Swag, you may have missed this awesome reveal... Gem Dragons are back! And I don't just mean back in a third-party book like Matt Colville's Strongholds and Followers (great book, check it out), I mean back officially for D&D 5e.

So if you're (not) like me and you don't have the time or patience to watch Spoilers & Swag, you may have missed this awesome reveal... Gem Dragons are back! And I don't just mean back in a third-party book like Matt Colville's Strongholds and Followers (great book, check it out), I mean back officially for D&D 5e.

In case you don't know, Gem Dragons are the third-wheel of dragonkind... they are not Good (Metallic) or Evil (Chromatic), they are Neutral. This makes them easily overlooked in the struggle of good vs. evil, but they've popped up here and there in previous editions.

But it looks like Gem Dragons have returned, first to promote the sale of a very expensive sapphire dice set. This little paper fold-out is included (screenshots below), complete with lore for gem dragons and a statblock for the Adult Sapphire Dragon specifically.

Of course, if you don't want to buy a pricey set of dice for a statblock... you're in luck, as Nathan Stewart reveals that everybody else will get access to it "early in 2020, where we [WotC] will have some fun ways to get that out there." So it looks like some product will be released including the Neutral Dragons, a new adventure or maybe a new monster book!

Feel free to speculate, here's the images;

1573671774880.png

1573671794207.png

It seems like a psychic book would have some monsters to go along with the class, the aberrant bloodline sorcerer, the astral monk, psychic spells, and a reprint of the gith races. Gem dragons, aberrations, psychic fey to mess with your emotions, brain-sucking vampires, even psychic celestials (I'm looking at you Shedu) all seem like good possibilities.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Gem Dragons, should, I feel, not be the end. We need Ore Dragons as well.

Simply consider how beautiful a Chalcopyrite dragon would be, and then tell me that this is a bad idea.

What about opal dragons? And if there are sapphire, topaz and what not why not diamond? Or was that the crystal dragon? What about the vegetable dragons? Tuber dragons as a subset, or perhaps legume dragons. I'll thow my support behind a lentil or bean dragon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There is more then enough material for a book just on Dragons, but we book know that is not WotCs style anymore, it will be one chapter on Dragons at most and maybe a few types of Dragons in the Beastairy.

Time will tell: diversity in a book can be achieved in multiple ways.

dagger

Adventurer
Well, they weren't in the 1st edition monster manual... I checked. I don't consider dragon magazine to be official content for an edition.
But they were out at the time 1e wa going strong and a lot of people did consider Dragon material official (especially errata).

Li Shenron

Legend
I would always like another book of monsters, but I think it's more likely the gems dragons are scheduled to appear in the psionics book... IIRC we've already seen 3 iterations of psionics in UA so there's a chance the last one got enough approval and a book is not too far away.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads