• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D+D Insider

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Apologies in advance if there's been threads on this already...

On getting to wizards.com this morning, I was diverted to a survey where I was given some details about something called "D+D Insider", an online magazine and game resourse they're thinking of starting, then asked what I think of it and how much I'd be willing to pay monthly for it. The same survey also had questions about Magic.

While some of it - character generation program, DM's assistant, etc. - looks useful, I'd rather have it in paper form and-or on a CD than online - I don't want to have to use the internet to play D+D.

Anyone else hit this survey? If so, any thoughts on it?

Lanefan

Henry

Autoexreginated
I found it, too - answered I'd be interested, but put my interest at "zero" besides anything but tabletop D&D.

I never did copy the suggested list of things the subscription would include, but I suggested 5 bucks a month is too cheap, and 20 bucks a month is too expensive.

Dragonbait

Explorer
I filled out the survey too. Could this Insider net-zine, or magazine, or whatever it is, be too much like Dragon, and end up hurting Paizo's sales?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Hm, I should've copy/pasted the D&D Insider package on here... anyone else have it?

JVisgaitis

Explorer
This is what it is, if anyone is interested:

The Dungeons & Dragons Insider Package

Become a Dungeons & Dragons Insider and gain access to exclusive content designed specifically with D&D Dungeon Masters in mind. As part of your monthly subscription, you gain access to features designed to enhance your D&D experience, including:

D&D Insider Magazine, online magazine with new content updated daily, including:

-Product Previews (articles showcasing upcoming D&D products)
-Dungeon Master's Tower (articles and columns devoted to expanding and enhancing the fine art of Dungeon Mastering)
-Class Features (articles expanding existing character class options and debuting new character and prestige classes)
-Strategy and Tactics (articles relating to D&D roleplaying combat and spellcasting, and to D&D Miniatures Skirmish play)
-Design and Development (articles and columns exploring the many facets of the D&D experience, written by game designers in D&D R&D)
-Behind the Arcane Curtain (a special and exclusive section of the online magazine available only to Dungeon Masters)
-D&D Humor (comic strips devoted to the D&D experience)

D&D Product Enhancements (expanded content for D&D products you bought, including interactive content such as searchable indexes, extra features, behind the scenes articles, game designer and developer commentary, and more)

Exclusive Content that expands your favorite campaign world

-Eberron and Forgotten Realms ongoing content
-Interactive maps
-World events and adventure hooks

D&D University

-Rolling six-week course to help make you a better D&D player
-Course message boards
-Player tip of the week from D&D R&D

MyCampaign.Com pages that you can design and populate, dedicated to your ongoing D&D campaign, with a Premium Customization Kit that includes D&D art, frames, and icons

Create Private Groups so you can contact and communicate with your friends

Private Message Boards that give you a direct line to D&D R&D

Premium RPGA Membership Card mailed to you

Fast Lane Registration at all RPGA events (online and in the real world)

The Magic Shop, a virtual shop where you can outfit your D&D character

Private Playtests of D&D products currently in design

D&D Character Builder, a program that helps you create and manage your D&D characters. This program allows you to create a character for any D&D game, walking you through the process of rolling the dice and assigning your game statistics, as well as creating a visual version of your character using "paper doll" models and "drag and click" selections of armor and weapons. At the end, you can save your character and print out a character sheet, as well as go to any D&D tournament and call up your character for use, or use the character at the Virtual Gaming Table (see below). With this package, you get to create and store up to 3 different characters or up to 3 different versions of one character (your character at different levels).

DM Tools, a suite of online tools to help you manage and run your D&D games, including:

-Encounter Generators
-Dungeon Mapping Utility
-XP Calculators
-Treasure Generators
-Initiative Tracker
-and more!

Exclusive D&D-related novels and short stories written by your favorite authors

D&D Adventures at your fingertips. Choose 1 D&D adventure to download each month to use in your campaign.

Real-World D&D Search Engines (find D&D gamers, game stores, tournaments, and events in your area)

In-Game D&D Search Engines (find feats, spells, magic items, and other D&D-related topics)

Henry

Autoexreginated
ehren37 said:
Why is 5 bucks too cheap? An issue of Dungeon or Dragon costs about 3 dollars with a subscription. I couldnt really see paying anything for this.

*Points to Jvisgaitis' post*

That's why.

That's a pretty steep mound of content, something whose equivalent I've only seen at places like ENWorld before (albeit amateur and third-party content compared to WotC content). It'd be worth at least 5 bucks a month, if it lived up to the hype.

atom crash

First Post
That's a pretty steep mound of content, something whose equivalent I've only seen at places like ENWorld before (albeit amateur and third-party content compared to WotC content). It'd be worth at least 5 bucks a month, if it lived up to the hype.

Some of these things (or similar content) are already offered at wizards.com for free:

-Product Previews (articles showcasing upcoming D&D products)
-Dungeon Master's Tower (articles and columns devoted to expanding and enhancing the fine art of Dungeon Mastering)
-Class Features (articles expanding existing character class options and debuting new character and prestige classes)
-Strategy and Tactics (articles relating to D&D roleplaying combat and spellcasting, and to D&D Miniatures Skirmish play)
-Design and Development (articles and columns exploring the many facets of the D&D experience, written by game designers in D&D R&D)

D&D Product Enhancements (expanded content for D&D products you bought, including interactive content such as searchable indexes, extra features, behind the scenes articles, game designer and developer commentary, and more)

Exclusive Content that expands your favorite campaign world

-Eberron and Forgotten Realms ongoing content
-World events and adventure hooks

DM Tools, a suite of online tools to help you manage and run your D&D games, including:
-XP Calculators

D&D Adventures at your fingertips.

In-Game D&D Search Engines (find feats, spells, magic items, and other D&D-related topics)

Are they considering replacing free content with a subscription service?

Remove ads