• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D: Is this the Golden Age?

JeffB

Legend
2 things...

GA was late 70's early eighties..about 1985 was when things started to get wierd...

Second,and I hate to bring this up (and never have before becuase I hate to do it)..

why is it that so many people are always ragging on anyone who is religious or goes to church as “bible thumping” ,“idiot” , and thinks that D&D players are Satan worshippers?

This crap is getting really old….

Not everyone who plays D&D is a liberal atheist either…All kinds of people enjoy the game…if you want to make comments about the “persecution” of D&D by some religious groups and people that’s fine, but don’t insult people with ignorant generalizations….

JeffB

Chromnos

First Post
JeffB said:
2 things...

why is it that so many people are always ragging on anyone who is religious or goes to church as “bible thumping” ,“idiot” , and thinks that D&D players are Satan worshippers?

This crap is getting really old….

Not everyone who plays D&D is a liberal atheist either…All kinds of people enjoy the game…if you want to make comments about the “persecution” of D&D by some religious groups and people that’s fine, but don’t insult people with ignorant generalizations….

JeffB

Hmmm

My understanding of bible thumping is:

1. Someone who is outspoken about and trying to sell the belief that anyone who is not a Christian is going to hell.
2. Is out to convert/prostletise everyone they can possibly manage.
3. Thinks D&D is satanic.

I am quite happy to respect any religioius affiliation or persuasion as a personal, spiritual understanding. Not all Christians, in my opinion, are bible thumpers. I know many Christians who enjoy D&D and keep an open mind regarding the religious beliefs of others. It is a comportment that I can respect and even admire.

The attack that was leveled against D&D back in the 80's was, in my opinion, a perfect example of your narrow minded generalisation. Just one more injustice added to the long list that extreme religions around the world have perpetrated against those they fail or refuse to understand.

-C

JeffB

Legend
Chromnos said:

The attack that was leveled against D&D back in the 80's was, in my opinion, a perfect example of your narrow minded generalisation. Just one more injustice added to the long list that extreme religions around the world have perpetrated against those they fail or refuse to understand.

-C

MY generalization? Did you not read my post, man? I was playing D&D back when all that hoopla went on...

I could care less about what happened in the dark ages, the 1980's, or last week...Heck, I grew up in the South...I was never "persecuted for playing D&D" (other than being labled as a geek/nerd/dweeb, etc)...and my Uncle is a Baptist Minister who went to Jerry Fallwell's College...

My point is that if "D&'Ds persecuted" don't like being generalized and accused of things they are not .then they shouldn't do the same to others..it's called being a hypocrite...

Chromnos

First Post
My apologies sir.

We each have our own unique experiences. Mine was when a few of my friends decided to burn my role playing matieral as a way of helping me.

The only thing they helped were the gaming corps because I ended up dropping a huge wad to refurbish my stuff.

No hard feelings.

-C

JeffB

Legend
Hey no hard feelings here either...I just wanted to make sure I made myself clear... ignorance is bad on both sides of the fence, ya know?

Now as far as your "friends" go..I hope ya gave 'em a good ass-whoopin! I would have.....

Chromnos

First Post
JeffB said:
Hey no hard feelings here either...I just wanted to make sure I made myself clear... ignorance is bad on both sides of the fence, ya know?

Now as far as your "friends" go..I hope ya gave 'em a good ass-whoopin! I would have.....

You're absolutely right. Name calling is not a good way to communicate and I've certainly been guilty of my share.

Now as far as those guys are concerned. Yeah they got a nice phat can o' wup ass!

:D

-C

evil_rmf

Explorer
in regards to walmart's listing of 3e PHBs on it's website:

Chromnos said:

Now that's getting somewhere! Put em on the shelves baby!

-C

Yep, but they brought the price up to $18.87 now. It used to be 37% of of $19.95. Now it is 5% off. The Monster Manual is the same price, but 37% off of $29.95. Interesting.

They do list the ELH, and you can pre-order the MMII. And dig this: they list 2nd PHBs! how funky is that?

Chromnos

First Post
evil_rmf said:
in regards to walmart's listing of 3e PHBs on it's website:

Yep, but they brought the price up to $18.87 now. It used to be 37% of of $19.95. Now it is 5% off. The Monster Manual is the same price, but 37% off of $29.95. Interesting.

They do list the ELH, and you can pre-order the MMII. And dig this: they list 2nd PHBs! how funky is that?

Very cool! I read in another thread that the ELH was being sold on one site for 12.95. Is this true?

I must say, as an aside that it is very cool WOTC setting up high power campaigns even if they do gank the spell casters. I mean, you could do a middle earth in EPIC with some heavy tweaking.

-C

Remove ads