D&D General D&D Manga? Who would do a great job re: art?

Good question. Unfortunately, I don't read as much manga as I watch anime, so am not that familiar with too many artists. The manga artists I do like tend to do less sword and sorcery work and more superhero or sci-fi work. Also, I lean more toward gag manga if it isn't superhero/sci-fi.

Though I agree it would more likely be a "western" style manga for D&D, I would love to see something in a Japanese-flavored world (eg. Jube Ninpucho, Hakkenden, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba). Love to see Japanese demons/monsters/yokai in manga/anime.

There is a serious difference between mangaka creating their own version of D&D, and a D&D setting inspired into Japanese folklore.

Playing is not only throwing dices over a tabletop. When somebody is creating characters and stories using D&D mythology, they are also playing D&D in other way.

Maybe the key is not to hire famous mangaka, but allowing D&D as a showcase for new and unknown talents. And prestigious artists would rather to keep controll about their own creations.

Other point is TTRPGs worlds are designed to happen interesting event in different places, while ordinary literature is too focused into the story with the main characters. I mean after the end of these plots then those worlds become "boring places" because the big bad guys have been defeated.

Some times people would rather to cook the same recipe but with a different style. For example a Japanese writter would create a male main character, and maybe his "harem", a group of cute female sidekicks, but a Western writter would rather a mixed group, not only male and female, and not necessarily romantically linked, but people from different origins, and maybe some "half-blood".

A Japanamerican artist could dare to say any things a native Japanese wouldn't dare, for example a denunciation of anachronistic discrimination against the burakumin (a discredited caste), or tyrannical elitism where if you aren't number one then as if you as if you were worth nothing. Or the artist could launch questions about the sense of honor. For example saint Thomas Moore was executed as traitor and saint Joan d'Arc burnt as a heretic and excommunicated. Did they did with honor or dishonor? Or the artist could use the plot to report the xenophobia, because "being locked inside a bubble is also a source of corruption like stagnant water in a swamp". Different nations could follow different codes about taboo threats.

I have suggested several times in the past WotC could be the sponsor of Japanese game-live shows. This could be the opportunity of young but unknown aspirants to seiyu(anime voice actor).

And Korean artists also could be invited to create their own version of D&D. They shouldn't reject it because this could be a open door to enter in the Western market and promote their own "soft power".

Kosuke Kurose, though I suppose he's already doing a D&D manga since he's the artist for Goblin Slayer.
Unfortunately Goblin Slayer is a real favourite of some individuals with um... views WotC would not want to be associated with, put it like that. So he'd be unlikely to be practical.

Personally I'm not sure I have any good suggestions who are still working, but to me it would be important to find a manga artist who had a really strong style rather than one who had a lot of fantasy experience but a more generic style.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Unfortunately Goblin Slayer is a real favourite of some individuals with um... views WotC would not want to be associated with, put it like that. So he'd be unlikely to be practical.
Huh? Leaving aside that I'm not sure how you'd even substantiate that sort of categorization, suggesting that somehow the artist is tainted by association strikes me as a repugnant view in-and-of itself.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Personally I'm not sure I have any good suggestions who are still working, but to me it would be important to find a manga artist who had a really strong style rather than one who had a lot of fantasy experience but a more generic style.
Totally makes sense, which is probably why folks are pointing to Junji Ito. Whether he has any interest in doing a D&D manga is an open question. Because I doubt Hasbro has the appetite to pay what Ito would want to work in the D&D world

I guess Hasbro would rather to hire artist who aren't too famous, because like this it doesn't offer only money, but a showcase to show their talent. Hasbro has got good contacts in Japan. They know what door to be knocked.

Other option would be to create a D&D mash-up version of some manga franchise, for example mixing One Piece and Red Steel/Savage Coast, or Anpanman+Witchlight.

I don't know if the current comic publisher has got the exclusiveness.

* Maybe Hasbro could talk with IDW comics for a D&D + Ninja Turtles + Usagi Yojimbo. But here the TNMT wouldn't be true tottles, but "mutants".

Remove ads