D&D 5E D&D Needs New Settings

Argyle King

Legend
It's fresh in my head, so I am going to shamelessly quote myself from a different thread:

"3) For the next D&D 5E game, I would categorize the setting as science-fantasy because a lot of the setting mimics sci-fi tropes, but with fantasy trappings. The starting location is a city built on top of a gargantuan mushroom. The mushroom was grown (at some point before the start of the campaign) by a group of powerful druids to escape a cataclysm which made most of the ground level world polluted and uninhabited. Inspirations include He-Man, Fallout, Thundarr the Barbarian, and Star Wars.

Communication between different settlements (on other mushrooms) is possible but slow -usually relying on word-of-mouth from travelers arriving on flying ships. I haven't yet sketched out much else about the setting. The rough vision in my head is analogous to idealized visions of Mediterranean island towns during the Golden Age of Sail, but with the water being replaced by a hazardous cloud of pollution and death. Then, dump a little bit of a Star Wars cantina vibe (but with fantasy races and magic rather than aliens and tech) over the whole thing."

Thinking about this more, I could see it being something akin to Heavy Metal* -in terms of art style and weird eclectic mix of stuff, but minus the elements of 80s testosterone-fueled titillation which would be offensive and uncouth to contemporary audiences. Imagine if Heavy Metal could be done in a way which would have been approved for a Saturday morning cartoon and include modern attitudes toward inclusion and diversity, while built around the setting concept quoted above.

*I would be open to other art styles, but I would vastly prefer to avoid heavy anime influence and whatever the art style is called that I see in some newer cartoons... it's kinda like a weird pseudo-Manga and Bratz Dolls had a child. My personal preference is to stay away from that. I don't know exactly how to explain it, but I think there's a fine line between fun/silly and goofily bad. I'm cool with Adventure Time and Disenchantment, but something about Teen Titans Go rubs me the wrong way.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I wish WotC would try a fantasy setting based on the myths of the Americas rather than rehashing the whole pseudo-European tropes again and again. And dont overplay the ''exotic'' of south-america, please.

Hit us with a colonial world, or a world based on the myths of the First Nations etc.

I think there would be potential for such a thing.

Zardnaar

Legend
I wish WotC would try a fantasy setting based on the myths of the Americas rather than rehashing the whole pseudo-European tropes again and again. And dont overplay the ''exotic'' of south-america, please.

Hit us with a colonial world, or a world based on the myths of the First Nations etc.

They're not gonna touch that with a 10' pole.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, what market niche is missing? What large group of players has not been served, and will be served better by a completely new setting than updating a old one?
Something that speaks to the aesthetics and social ethics of cartoons like Adventure Time and the new She-Ra.

A setting written from the ground up by and for people whose primary fantasy touchstone isn’t rooted almost exclusively in late medieval Europe and her myths.

A setting where the good guys are fighting against “civilized” imperialism.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle

I would love that. Especially if it also had room for Pacific Islands mythology.

Zardnaar

Legend
Something that speaks to the aesthetics and social ethics of cartoons like Adventure Time and the new She-Ra.

A setting written from the ground up by and for people whose primary fantasy touchstone isn’t rooted almost exclusively in late medieval Europe and her myths.

A setting where the good guys are fighting against “civilized” imperialism.

I doubt they would go there although it's often fun to settle Europe as Kongo or Songhai in other games.

Anything edgy isn't gonna happen.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases