D&D Movie/TV D&D on the BBC

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Most interesting bit to me is that the BBC feels D&D has not essentially changed in 50 years.
Yeah, that came across as uninformed when I read it, but later, near the end of the article, the clarify that they mean that even though there are more tech options available, the game still plays mostly the same now as it did when Gary Gygax was publishing OD&D. Still arguable, but is a more reasonable take.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, that came across as uninformed when I read it, but later, near the end of the article, the clarify that they mean that even though there are more tech options available, the game still plays mostly the same now as it did when Gary Gygax was publishing OD&D. Still arguable, but is a more reasonable take.
Probably more reasonable than most of our arguments about what counts as an Edition out here.

Oofta

Legend

It is still all structured make-believe where we roll dice to resolve uncertainty. The broad outlines of the game in terms of tone, rules options and focus of published materials has shifted over the years of course but I think high school me would still recognize the game as D&D.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Not keen on saying imagination is the realm of children, but I think the article circles back on that idea and expands on it decently.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Obviously to those of us who talk inside baseball, the game has changed a ton.

But if you were explaining it to an outsider, you would explain it exactly the same way now as you did back in 1983. Except you no longer have to clarify that it is not a Satanic cult.
You still make a character which can be a basic fantasy race or human, with strength dexterity constitution intelligence wisdom charisma. You still have hit points which go down when something hurts you. You still make a saving throw to see if a spell gets you. You still fight beholders and orcs and dragons and such. You still role a die to hit things, and another to see how much you damage it if you do hit it. You still cast magic missile and fireball and cure spells and turn undead. You still backstab, and wield weapons and wear armor. I mean, all the broad outlines of the game are roughly the same as the first iteration of the game. It's just the details of how you resolve things and additional options added over time that has really changed.

Remove ads