D&D on the New York Times

Very nice article. Gets to the point of what makes this hobby so fun, enriching and engrossing.

I've made tons of friends through D&D. Some became friends after we have played, some were friend's who joined the hobby. Either way, D&D has enriched my life in countless ways... and I feel I should do as much as possible to introduce this amazing game to as many people as I can.

Long live D&D!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Sad that comments aren’t available on the article it would have been interesting to see some Times reader responses.

Sad that comments aren’t available on the article it would have been interesting to see some Times reader responses.
I would rather not. Despite the widening appeal of the game, there are still a huge number of people who will deride it and mock those who play. We may be more accepted by society than the in the 80s, but we're still outcasts.

G

Guest 6801328

I can't believe she didn't even TOUCH on the absence of Warlords in 5e.....

S'mon

Legend

I'm glad that this person has got off social media and found peace and renewed friendship in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons.

I think the headline characterisation of the journalist author as one of the 'cool kids' is maybe pushing it. :D I have seen a bunch of new younger players recently who I would characterise as pretty cool/hip, and they are the polar opposite of the type she appears to be - getting het up over Russian bots etc is definitely un-cool!

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
large.jpg

G

Guest 6801328

getting het up over Russian bots etc is definitely un-cool!

Among certain groups you're probably right, but I don't think anybody else would describe those groups as either being cool or being able to identify what is cool. So....

SirGrotius

Explorer
I'm old-school enough to subscribe to the paper-based version of the Times, and the front page of the Sunday Review section where this is contained had some "click bait" at the top saying "Why D&D beats Facebook" or something such that. Got a good smile out of me, and the point of the article is spot on!

I would rather not. Despite the widening appeal of the game, there are still a huge number of people who will deride it and mock those who play. We may be more accepted by society than the in the 80s, but we're still outcasts.

The New York Times has moderation of 100% of comments. It is not the stereotype of an online mob.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Oh yeah tell me about it! My cult was unable to summon any demons for decades, since the membership got flooded with incompetent kids who were more interested in playing D&D than actually learning demonology.
Really? We summoned about forty demons and over a hundred devils. #notbadforteenagers :angel:

Definitely. One of the strengths of D&D is that it breaks down those sorts of barriers, enabling people to actually connect with other people directly. To be present.

Though, I've known a couple of people that got so caught up in their gaming that they also, shall we say, forgot that whole friendship thing. I stopped gaming with those people.

It's nice to see such positivity about D&D in a major news source. Times have certainly changed.

That is hitting the nail on the head, isn't it?

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
When I was in college, I was the President of my university gaming club. They actually gave us money to expand our library and everything.

I taught DnD (and other games) to people from Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Ukraine, and Japan. I've played with Muslims, Christians, Atheists, Buddhists, Wiccans, and various other religions. I've played with Jocks (my best friend in high school was the captain of the football team and we played ever week), Nerds, Goths, Preps, Stoners, Metalheads, Businessmen, Lawyers, Professors, Teachers, Actors and Actresses, Mechanics, Security Guards, and people in Homeland Security.

D&D (and roleplaying, specifically), is for everyone. The language is universal. I firmly believe the world would be a better place if everyone played. I'm glad the rest of the world is catching on and it's why I despise Gatekeepers with every ounce of my being.

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4