D&D 5E D&D Q&A 11/15 - Legacies, High-Level Play & Expertise Dice

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
There's a new Q&A up.

The first two questions are on the "legacy" system. Basically it will be a module that covers a lot of the RP aspects of high-level advancement, separate from the new spells and maneuvers and stuff you ALSO get at higher levels.

The last answer is interesting: he says that they don't expect casters to get expertise dice because
Right now, we’re experimenting with expertise dice being the primary expression of the growth of a character’s martial prowess, and we aren’t looking to cross the streams with spellcasting.

Personally, I am happy that the Expertise bug isn't spreading to EVERY class, but I wish they'd continue looking at other mechanics for expressing "the growth of a character's martial prowess."

He also says that he doesn't expect 3e-style metamagic to be hard to balance, since spells don't advance with caster level anymore. He says they haven't played with it much yet, which seems weird since there are two metamagic feats in the latest playtest.

mlund

First Post
They get full credit just for using "cross the streams" to illustrate just how much they think that would be a bad idea.

- Marty Lund

ferratus

Adventurer
I wish there was other means for expressing martial expertise than expertise dice, but I also wish there was differences between arcane and divine casting as well.

So I guess all martial expertise dice and all Vancian spellcasting is something I could live with in the end.

Sonny

Adventurer
Unless I see a better way of instituting the 5e goal of having players be able to play both simple and complex characters at the same table, I'm for using expertise dice as a means to simplify or expand martial combat on the fly.

People playing Paladins and Rangers should have the ability to play 1st-3rd edition versions of the classes, or the 4e martial maneuver heavy version, just like the people playing the Fighter have.

Remove ads