D&D 5E D&D Spellbook Cards Preview

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
D&D Spellbook Cards Preview
By Gale Force 9

These decks of spell cards are an invaluable resource for any magic-user. Consult the entire deck when selecting new spells to learn, and after a long rest you can set aside those spells you want to prepare for the day. Each deck is made from thick laminated card so they will stand the test of time.

These look neat!

Spellbook-Arcane-Cover.jpg
Spellbook-Arcane-Back.jpg

Well, they already seem more useful than the oft-errata'd, never-complete sets of 4E power cards. Damn though, they're milking it! They couldn't just sell one big deck with all the spells?

Ah, they'll probably get their money outta me...

EDIT: Looking through their store, I can only hope their prices are more reasonable for cards than they are for everything else. (I don't do minis anymore because of the prices. Minis will run ya broke.) If it's more than $10 per set of cards, to hell with it--I'll make my own damn spell cards!

Last edited:

Jake Johnson

First Post
They do seem useful for streamlining spell selection and keeping track of what the spell caster has available. I'm so inspired by seeing the effort so many of you guys go to in order to make the game more enjoyable for players. These cards seem like another great way to do that. I'm in.

Stormonu

Legend
Loved my 2E spell cards, still have 'em. Got some for 3.0 as well (3rd party), but they never made any for 3.5 :(. I was going to pick up the 4E one until the errata started coming out so fast it didn't make sense to get them (only ended up buying the ranger pack, as that was what I was playing for a brief time). The one downfall is none of the non-core spells ended up being done, except with some of the 4E stuff (though I think they only did the first round of power books, if I remember right).

So... 230 spells, eh (about 23 or 25/level, depending how cantrips are done)? 2E had about 334 Wizard spells (about 37/ spell level) and ~405 for 3.5E (about 40/spell level). The cards for 4E say there was 100 per deck (about 3/character level), don't know how accurate that is. All in all, that looks fairly good - all the "base" spells should be covered and we're not likely to see a lot of "Mass", "Improved", "Greater" and "Awesome" variants of lower level spells, methinks.

<EDIT> I wonder how they'll handle denoting that you're putting a given spell in a higher slot? Possible to use dry erase on them or something?

fjw70

Adventurer
Loved my 2E spell cards, still have 'em. Got some for 3.0 as well (3rd party), but they never made any for 3.5 :(. I was going to pick up the 4E one until the errata started coming out so fast it didn't make sense to get them (only ended up buying the ranger pack, as that was what I was playing for a brief time). The one downfall is none of the non-core spells ended up being done, except with some of the 4E stuff (though I think they only did the first round of power books, if I remember right).

So... 230 spells, eh (about 23 or 25/level, depending how cantrips are done)? 2E had about 334 Wizard spells (about 37/ spell level) and ~405 for 3.5E (about 40/spell level). The cards for 4E say there was 100 per deck (about 3/character level), don't know how accurate that is. All in all, that looks fairly good - all the "base" spells should be covered and we're not likely to see a lot of "Mass", "Improved", "Greater" and "Awesome" variants of lower level spells, methinks.

<EDIT> I wonder how they'll handle denoting that you're putting a given spell in a higher slot? Possible to use dry erase on them or something?

You don't memorize spells in specific slots. When you cast it you decide which slot to cast it in.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Spell cards are a fun accessory. One of my 4E paladin players took great delight in printing, cutting, and laminating each of his powers every time he leveled up, then fanning them out across the table every time he rested. No-one could compete with his collection.

Can we assume with products like this that there is already some legitimate product licensing happening with 5E?

Phoenix8008

First Post
Looks cool. I'd buy them if I have any money left after getting the core books.

If the eye symbol is for the Warlock, then the drop of blood with fire in it must be the Sorcerer and the hand with spell must be the Wizard I'd guess.

fjw70

Adventurer
Wizards, warlocks, and sorcerers have 230 spells.

Druids have 110 spells.

Clerics have 106 spells.

Bards have 120 spells.

Paladins have 44 spells.

Rangers have 46 spells.

Remove ads