D&D 5E D&D Stats: What The Typical 5E Party *Actually* Looks Like

This brings up a related question I've often wondered about.

Is there such a thing as a bad powergamer? Not in terms of being obnoxious, or a bad person, but someone who has an actual goal of powergaming and optimizing and munchkining, but is just terrible at it?

Sort of like, "Muahahahahahaha! My Strength-build wizard will rule them all! Bow before me and my awesome True Strike!"
Sounds like me.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Is there such a thing as a bad powergamer? Not in terms of being obnoxious, or a bad person, but someone who has an actual goal of powergaming and optimizing and munchkining, but is just terrible at it?

Sort of like, "Muahahahahahaha! My Strength-build wizard will rule them all! Bow before me and my awesome True Strike!"

When I CharOp, it is usually to minimize the mathimatical damage from a silly concept, like a Gnome Paladin.

RSIxidor

Adventurer

There's certainly people that don't actually understand the system they are playing in but believe that they do to the point they think their build is uber-effective, and then find their builds fall apart under inspection. The only other thing I can think of is people that really push for unusual builds just to see if they can. The results are usually effective but not "optimal" builds.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
They screen out test concept characters, by using metrics about work being down in a PC sheet that indicate use in play. Not 100%, probably, but probably good enough.

True, but I level up these background characters as I level up my campaign character and even upgrade their gear, especially in the case of the Artificer. So I wonder how sophisticated their way of determining use in play is.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
True, but I level up these background characters as I level up my campaign character and even upgrade their gear, especially in the case of the Artificer. So I wonder how sophisticated their way of determining use in play is.

At that point, is there a difference from their point of view...?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases