WotC "D&D's Best Year Yet"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This has been floating around on social media.

DD-2019-figures-infographic-1920w-scaled.jpg

Interesting that the age brackets are, with the exception of the 30-34 bracket, all fairly close in percentage numbers.

I was curious what a "media impression" was, so I looked it up:

Definition of a Media Impression
Impressions
, broadly defined, are any interaction with a piece of content and an audience member. For example, when you read the front page of the New York Times, every article on that page counts your viewing as one impression.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I will say, some of these numbers are a little misleading (of course introductory boxed sets will triple sales, you released a new one in 2019!) the bottom-line of this does look like Dungeons & Dragons still hasn't peaked!

Which honestly is not surprising. I am curious whether this growth will continue in 2020, as there is some obvious economic impact. I'm curious as to whether D&D is more resistant to some of these shocks compared to other products, or whether it will be impacted regardless.

I'll add that it is interesting they sent out this infographic to all of these press outlets. I've also seen these numbers/quote floating around;

• 6th consecutive year of growth.
  • 17.5 Billion media impressions.
  • Sales of introductory boxed products rose by 300 percent.
  • Viewers watched 4.3 Billion minutes of D&D content on Twitch.
  • 2 Million people tuned in to D&D Live 2019.
  • 39 percent of players identify as female and this percentage is growing.
  • Sales in Europe increased 65% year-on-year, and have more than quadrupled since 2014!
“On the back of our biggest year in franchise history, Dungeons & Dragons is more popular than ever, with over 40 million fans globally. Our accelerating strong growth here in Europe contributes to that and is set to progress in 2020. With ongoing expansion into tabletop products, streaming entertainment, and digital games, we’re going to continue introducing new fans to our legendary world of fantasy storytelling for years to come.”, says Dan Barrett, EU Senior Brand Manager for Dungeons & Dragons.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases