D20 apocalypse

Thomas5251212

First Post
Emiricol said:
Because I specifically mentioned that DW2 fixed that. I'm basically defending DW2 against your comments, most of which have been inaccurate with the new version or misleading to DMs who might not be familiar with the game.

You mentioned it _now_, but unless I'm assumed to be a mind reader, there was no way for me to know prior to it.

So, either all settings are unalterable or they are incoherent? Because I don't think I've seen a DM yet who didn't add/remove/tweak things with whatever setting he/she was running a game in.

No, a setting that has as important an issue as the lack of potable water throughout most of it and that potable water coming from essentially one source is incoherent if that hasn't effected other parts of the setting. If you don't see why that is, I don't know what to tell your.

I get that you don't like the original - there was plenty not to like, despite the potential it held. But it's hard to have a conversation about what you don't like about fords when we're talking about chevies. DW2 and DW are entirely different creatures that share only the basic setting ideas. So, it'd be more accurate to say "I don't like the old Darwins World compared to D20 Apocalypse, but I don't know anything about the new version of the game." I'm just sayin'.

And since all I've been doing is explaining why I'm unwilling to shell out money blind to find out if it fixed enough of the things I disliked, that's essentially what I'm saying, no?

kingpaul

First Post
Thomas5251212 said:
You mentioned it _now_, but unless I'm assumed to be a mind reader, there was no way for me to know prior to it.
I took the response in post #20 as a response to your #19 stating that the +1s had been done away with.

Krieg

First Post
D20 Apoc is one of those products that I have high hopes for...but that also leaves me more than a bit leery. :\

Kesh

First Post
if d20 Apocalypse has OGL material in it, I'll pick it up. If not, I won't.

I'm planning to build my own post-apoc setting blending stuff from d20Apoc, Darwin's World and Gamma World. I don't want to bother with non-OGL material at the moment, though.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Kesh said:
if d20 Apocalypse has OGL material in it, I'll pick it up. If not, I won't.

I'm planning to build my own post-apoc setting blending stuff from d20Apoc, Darwin's World and Gamma World. I don't want to bother with non-OGL material at the moment, though.
Planning to sell your products at our local FLGS? ;)

Thomas5251212

First Post
kingpaul said:
I took the response in post #20 as a response to your #19 stating that the +1s had been done away with.

Whereas I read it as telling me that the base classes had gone to the D20M ones; after all, original Darwin's World had been more or less based in the PHB, but still used the +1/-1's, so there was nothing about going over to D20 Modern that required they'd changed that idea.

Really, I don't want people thinking I'm hostile to DW2; as I've made it abundantly clear, I simply don't know if it fixed all the mechanical things that bothered me, and its a bit of a buy-in for my budget just to find out. That doesn't mean if I did that I wouldn't be perfectly satisfied with it mechanically, but when there's no good way to find out short of buying it....

Now with D20 Apocalypse, I know its unlikely there's going to be any fundamental mechanical problems (unlikely, but not certain; there were a couple of things in D20 Future I found a bit problematic in some of the subsystems, but only one of them was major).

That really was my only point here.

Kesh

First Post
Ranger REG said:
Planning to sell your products at our local FLGS? ;)
Not really. However, if I do end up with a setting/ruleset that works well, I'd love to toss it into PDF format and put it online for others to enjoy. Which is kinda difficult if I use non-OGL material.

ogre

First Post
So what are some of the things you (anyone) anticipate or expect in the D20 Apoc?
As I have said, I'm really interested in truely scalable mutations. I know DW has that somewhat, but it seems rather limited. 3 levels and feat based if I recall correctly.
One major issue I think with an apoc game is the clash between high technology and primitive existance. How do the PCs learn this new technology? In a game where the world just got destroyed, perhaps this won't be too much of an issue. But what about a setting where a PC grows up in a small primitive village and later finds a car. When exactly can he take the Drive skill for instance. A lot of D20 modern doesn't just simply fall into place. What if there aren't even any modern guns and it goes from bows to laser rifles?
Just so you all know, I am designing (have been since 3E came out) a D20 apoc game and found the scalable mutations and the huge gap in technology to be my main focus point of creating a game that is both dynamic and progressive. I am now in the process of converting it over to D20 modern, but the same issues are there, I just now have a more standardized rule set for driving, shooting guns etc.

Also, on a side note. I developed a unique bursting rule set a couple years back. This stemmed from my frustrations, oh almost 15 years ago with Rifts. I see D20 modern tackled it, but I'm not really impressed. Are most people happy with the bursting rules in D20?

ps and don't feel shy about hyjacking the thread, I was enjoying the tangent ;-)

Emiricol

Well, DW2 mutations are as you say - you can scale them take them multiple times (the effects of which are detailed mutation by mutation), and there's feats to buy off penalties.

Burst fire - nope, not really thrilled with the D20 Modern way of doing it. It isn't the worst ever, but to me it feels flawed. Workable, but flawed.

For technology, Darwin's World 2 breaks technology into three feats - advanced, post apocalyptic and primitive. Different backgrounds (in DW2 each PC takes a background to describe how they grew up) get different tech feats for free, and you can also use a feat slot to pick up a more advanced one. If you don't have the feat, you may be able to use it but not understand it (with a penalty to success chance) or you may not be able to use it at all, depending on what it is. I think it handles what you describe well enough, without being overly burdensome.

What I'd REALLY like to see is someone take Darwin's World and Modern Military, mix them up, and come out with a replacement for Twilight 2000 (only more relevant to today's audience - half the people I meet online don't remember the Cold War well if at all).

Remove ads