d20 Logan's Run conversion?

Turgenev

Hero

In the 22nd century when the crystal flower imprinted on your palm turns black, your life is over.

You have two choices - go to a Sleepshop and past away in a blissful sleep, or you run...

Run, Runner, RUN!

But beware the Sandman. He is judge and jury. He is death to all Runners.

Anyone out there interested in seeing a d20 Logan's Run adaptation?

I would probably use the book as my main inspiration with a few ideas from the movie (keep the age limit of 31, maybe Carrousel, but ditch the dome city). Go here to learn more about the differences between the two sources.

I'm not sure if I want to do this as a separate d20 game or use the d20 Modern rules (I don't own d20M and have only skimmed the SRD so far). At the moment, I'm leaning towards the d20 route but I might borrow some ideas from d20M (the Allegiance system for starters).

These are the ideas I've had so far:

DS Agent (Sandman) - trained in hunting down and eliminating Runners. DS Agents would have hand-to-hand combat skills (Omnite - a combination of the world's martial arts), and trained in use of the Gun (the Sandman's weapon). Fighter's BAB, with Good saves being Ref & Fort. Starts with Track, Improved Unarmed Strike, and Weapon Focus (Gun) feats.

Cubscout (Cub) - wild children who live outside of society. They would have melee weapon skills, stealth related skills, and would use a dangerous drug called muscle (it speeds up their react & strength - it would cause death if used by an adult). Cleric BAB, with Reflex being the Good save. Weapon Finesse (Dagger) would also be appropriate but not at first level.

Pleasure Gypsy (Gypsy) - dedicated to self-destruction; no gypsy lived long enough for his flower to go black. They ride around on Devilsticks (basically flying motorcycles) and aren't afraid of Sleep or Sandmen. Fighter BAB, with Fort being the Good Save. Melee combat skills with Pilot (devilstick) and some poison use (at higher levels).

Police Agent - dedicated to preserving the peace and upholding society's laws. Cleric BAB, with Ref being the Good Save. Melee weapon skills, ranged weapon skills (they use a Needler gun), and a good selection of skills.

Runner - someone who decides he/she doesn't want to die on Lastday and decides to run. Wizard BAB, with Ref being the Good Save. Dodge feat at 1st level.

Average Citizen - Commoner class from the DMG modified for the setting.

Course if I do go the d20M route, most of these classes could easily become Advanced Classes.

Just an idea at the moment, would anyone be interested in seeing more?

Kenpo Wolf

First Post
With Logan's Run being one of my all time favorite sci fi movies, I think a campaign based on it would be awesome if I had the time. What I'm going to do is throw a LR type world into my StarGate campaign much like I'm doing with Planet of the Apes.

BTW, would'nt a Police Agent and a DS Agent be the same thing? There is not a distinction between the two in either the movie or the books

rook117

First Post
I would love to see this. I was a Logan's Run fan way before the movie. I would concentrate mostly on the first book and maybe the second, you can leave the third book on the floor with the horrendus tv show. I agree with the age from the movies but there is something about a world populatesd only by kids that is appealing as well, maybe make the age a campaign option. I want "The Gun" not the lasers form the movies althought they were kind of cool too.

Man, I hadn't thought about Logan"s Run in years and now I think I'm going to have to go dig those books out of storage and give a new read.

Turgenev

Hero
Kenpo Wolf said:
With Logan's Run being one of my all time favorite sci fi movies, I think a campaign based on it would be awesome if I had the time. What I'm going to do is throw a LR type world into my StarGate campaign much like I'm doing with Planet of the Apes.

Cool, I'm glad that someone remembers the movie/books. :) What you plan to do sounds fun. I once (long time ago) ran an adventure in the FASA Dr. Who game where the PCs landed on a planet very much like that of Logan's Run.

BTW, would'nt a Police Agent and a DS Agent be the same thing? There is not a distinction between the two in either the movie or the books

There isn't any distinction in the movies, but there is in the books. Police wear lemon colour tunics (Sandmen wear black tunics) and they basically act as cops (like in the real world). Sandmen just hunt Runners.

i.e. If you kill someone, then the Police will arrest you and send you to Hell (located in the glare-ice wilderness between Baffin Bay and the Bering Sea) or to be hunted down in the Serengeti.

Cheers,
Tim

Turgenev

Hero
rook117 said:
I would love to see this. I was a Logan's Run fan way before the movie. I would concentrate mostly on the first book and maybe the second, you can leave the third book on the floor with the horrendus tv show. I agree with the age from the movies but there is something about a world populatesd only by kids that is appealing as well, maybe make the age a campaign option. I want "The Gun" not the lasers form the movies althought they were kind of cool too.

I plan on using the Gun with its six charges - tangler, ripper, needler, nitro, vapor, and the deadly homer.

As for the age limit, it is probably a good idea to have it as a campaign option (same with Carrousel). This way one can play a "pure" Logan's Run game or some hybrid with the movie (or god forbid the tv show) if they like.

Man, I hadn't thought about Logan"s Run in years and now I think I'm going to have to go dig those books out of storage and give a new read.

Heh heh... get reading. I don't know how many times I have read the first book... usually once a year or so. I've only read Logan's World once (don't own it) but have a copy of Logan's Search (which was kind of silly but had some interesting bits about the world before the Thinker broke down).

Cheers,
Tim

rook117

First Post
I'm getting a feeling that this is a go then. I just dug out my books and my comics collection of Logan s run from marvel, and am going to read through them this week. Any idea when you will have some info to put out, I'm dying to pop this one on my players i don't think any of them have seen the movie let alone read the books.

Also let me know if you need any help or wnat to bounce any ideas off may and the rest of boards heads.

Oh no....my flower started blinking... I've got to run...

Turgenev

Hero
rook117 said:
I'm getting a feeling that this is a go then. I just dug out my books and my comics collection of Logan s run from marvel, and am going to read through them this week. Any idea when you will have some info to put out, I'm dying to pop this one on my players i don't think any of them have seen the movie let alone read the books.

So far I'm just working out the ideas and making notes as I re-read the book. I'll make a webpage as soon as I get around to formalizing these ideas (probably sometime in the new year). I'll keep everyone posted as the project progresses.

I'm also working on a Fu Manchu inspired secret martial arts society for my Pulp Heroes page at the same time. Luckily, I get just over a week off from work for the Holidays so I should have plenty of time to do both. :)

Also let me know if you need any help or wnat to bounce any ideas off may and the rest of boards heads.

I might take you up on that. I don't have access to Logan's World (I have the rest including the Marvel Comics version) and it has been ages since I've read it. Edit: Found the info that I was looking for about the Little War. It is in the first book but near the end. :p

Oh no....my flower started blinking... I've got to run...

Run, runner, RUN!
:D

Last edited:

LoneWolf23

First Post
Ever See YTV's 2030 CE?

It's set in a ficitional future where devestating plagues, war and ecological disaster wiped out much of humanity. Government, Industry and Technology combined to form NEXUS, a central organisation which slowly rebuilt the world... a world where no one lives past their 20s, due to a still-present pathogen which accelerates aging once you hit a certain age, rapidly turning you into a decrepit, senile old man.

It's also a world where any genetic flaw marks you as one of the dregs of society, keeping you from decent professions and forcing you to perform menial, dangerous labor.

It's also a world where NEXUS policy is Law, and where the moment you speak up against NEXUS, you can be arrested and tried with falsified evidence put up to prove your crime. ...Then, you don't end up dead: you end up Reprogrammed into a smiling, genetically clean drone for NEXUS.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that NEXUS has a genetic reproduction center which creates test-tube babies loyal only to NEXUS, and that natural births, and the family units linked to them, are diminishing in the world?

Gee, almost makes you wonder why there's a group of rogues out there trying to plot NEXUS' downfall... :rolleyes:

All in all, this 2030 CE setting sounds like it might a nice compliment to Logan's Run...

Remove ads