D20 Modern + Future + Past + New Dr Who = ...

malladin

Explorer
Having just watched the new Dr Who over here in Blighty (very good btw) I was inspired for a new campaign idea.

I remember an old GURPS supplement I once played a game of, Calaghan's Cross-Time Saloon (I might have the name wrong), basically a TARDIS that was a bar that hopped around space and time from place to place. (When I signed up to play the game 8 years ago I was told it was a cross between Dr Who and Cheers).

So I thought that this could make a very good game to get the most out of D20 Past, Future and Modern. The bar thing works better than straight Dr Who for a team based RPG (cos everyone would want to be the Doctor)

Players could have absolute free reign on any D20 Modern/past/future advanced classes and the like.

What do people think? good/bad idea? Anyone actually have the GURPS supplement in question and can point out any interesting intricacies of that book?

Cheerio,

Ben

Tom Cashel

First Post
I'm already doing it, except my campaign is full-frontal TARDIS action. My 2nd Season just premiered last week.

GURPS Time Travel is a very useful book for this campaign.

See the link in my sig for details.

Last edited:

Tom Cashel

First Post
The online TARDIS manual was also very helpful for deciding how I wanted time travel to work in the game. It's thorny question that you need to answer before Session #1.

Another thought occurs to me: it took the PCs several sessions to get used to the idea of having a TARDIS. Frankly, they found it a bit overwhelming. So for the first few episodes the TARDIS had an AI (much like HAL, but called "Phil"), until that burned out. I also gave the PCs many other things to worry about (missing memories, a cosmic catastrophe to happen in 2012, worldwide conspiracies), so their only focus is not "Wow! A TARDIS! What do we do with it?"

Once they had other, more pressing, concerns, the TARDIS became a tool (and mobile base of operations) rather than the focus of everything.

MonsterMash

First Post
malladin said:
Having just watched the new Dr Who over here in Blighty (very good btw) I was inspired for a new campaign idea.

I remember an old GURPS supplement I once played a game of, Calaghan's Cross-Time Saloon (I might have the name wrong), basically a TARDIS that was a bar that hopped around space and time from place to place. (When I signed up to play the game 8 years ago I was told it was a cross between Dr Who and Cheers).

So I thought that this could make a very good game to get the most out of D20 Past, Future and Modern. The bar thing works better than straight Dr Who for a team based RPG (cos everyone would want to be the Doctor)
I like the idea - though regular punters at the bar (thinking of Cheers and Norm) - 'Ghenghis!'
:)

In a Dr Who game it's hard to imagine wanting to play a companion ('I stand in the corner and scream' - most females. e.g. Tegan, Peri, Jo Grant, etc, 'I stand in the corner and look gormless' - Adric, or 'I belt it with a stick/baseball bat' - Ace or Leela), except for an Ace or Leela type.

Remove ads