[D20 Modern] The Winter of Our Discontent (updated Mar 13)

Falkus

Explorer
Hi there, here's a writeup of the first session of d20 Modern with my new group at my universities new gaming club. Please post critiques, suggestions, mocking of my GMing ability, death threats, etc.

The Winter of Our Discontent

Staring:
Ryan Nichols, ex-military technician with a passion for the occult and pretty handy with his mini-Uzi
Giles Morgan, ex-CIA operative, can talk his way into or out of anything, also has a passion for the occult (to be introduced in episode two).
Steve, a student with a mysterious past and a keen hand with the throwing knives.
Colm “Mad” Braxton, a freelance sniper with a disdain for modern technology.

Episode One: Le Chien de l’Onyx, part one

November 20, 2008
New York City

The phone rang.

The office was nothing special, just a small building in a cheap part of town. A good place to serve as a simple gathering place for the group and to store the items they’d rather not be caught with. Better than using their own homes, the work they did wasn’t exactly legal.

To put it bluntly, they were mercenaries. Soldiers of fortune. Guns for hire. Not assassins, nor criminals by the strictest sense of the world. Problem solvers or trouble shooters were better terms. A group that got hired to do various activities that were morally sound, but not legally permissible. Hired by people who didn’t want to or couldn’t go to the cops, people who wanted things done quietly and efficiently. They had a small but burgeoning reputation in underground circles as problem solvers who stuck to their code of ethics.

It wasn’t the most perfect of jobs, mind you, but it paid the bills.

And the phone rang.

Steve was the one who answered. When Giles wasn’t around, Steve was usually the one who answered the phone. Ryan wasn’t so hot on the phone, and the team had let Colm “Mad” Braxton answer the phone once, and then never let him answer it again.

“Talk to me,” stated Steve into the phone.

“My name’s Alanna. I, I’d like to hire you,” it was a female voice. Nervous, worried, were good descriptors of the voice. She obviously wasn’t used to this sort of thing, and was in way over her head.

“What’s the problem?” asked Steve, taking out a pencil and pad. “Whatever is, we can deal with it, as quietly as you like.”

“An associate of mine, he’s been kidnapped. I have to find him. I can’t go to the police.”

“We can do that,” replied Steve, calmly. Nobody on the team knew too much about him. He was a student, supposedly, but he wielded his knives like a Navy Seal. “Just give me the details, and we’ll get right on it.” He wasn’t too concerned about the police factor. The team didn’t exactly function on the right side of the law themselves. It wasn’t that they were criminals, so to speak, it was just that they sometimes found that the best way to get through red tape was to burn it with a white phosphorous grenade.

“I can’t talk over the phone,” she quickly rattled off an address; she definitely seemed frightened and close to tears. “I can be there in the alley at seven PM. I have to go now.”

And then she hung up.

Elsewhere
“Got the address?” said the first man, taking off a pair of headphones that were plugged into some rather sophisticated surveillance equipment.

“Yes. I’ll get in touch with our friends and stop this problem before it starts. Last thing we need is some loose cannons on this situation,” said the second, as he took off his headphones.

Four PM, the alley
It was a run down part of town. Not a place you’d want to visit or live if you had the choice. The team had come a couple hours early, suspecting a trap.

A quick routine search through the surrounding area revealed nothing particularly suspicious about upcoming meeting. Of course, that was no guarantee.

“We’ll run through this like usual,” stated Ryan. Being fairly knowledgeable with combat tactics, he was the nominal commander of the group. “Steve will make the contact since Giles isn’t here, and I’ll stay back, keeping a look out in case there’s trouble. Braxton, you know what to do, find some high ground and cover us from there.

The team moved out, Mad Braxton setting up with his PSG-1 in the second story window of an abandoned warehouse across from the alley. Perfect vantage point, he thought to himself.

At seven PM on the dot, a figure appeared at the mouth of the alley.

She was small, five feet at most. Green hair, obviously having been dyed. She looked around for a moment, then spotted Steve and started walking towards him.

And it was at that point that Braxton spotted a brown Dodge Neon slowly cruising towards the entrance of the alley while a man holding an UZI leaned out of the left-side passenger window.

“Got ‘em,” Braxton said to himself, smiling as he scoped in on the car’s tire and pulled the trigger of his rifle.

The 7.62mm bullet bounced off of the pavement, and Braxton cursed his quick finger, he’d pulled the trigger too soon.

However, it wasn’t in vain. The sound of the shot was overheard in the alley. The women dropped to the ground immediately, saving her life as the car slowly cruised in front of the alley, and the gunner sprayed nine millimeter ammunition all over.

Steve and Ryan ducked to the sides of the alley, pulling out their weapons. Steve reacted first, running towards the car and throwing a knife at the front tire as he moved, slicing open the tire, and forcing the driver to slam on the brakes. Cursing, Ryan opened up with his mini-Uzi, peppering the wall on the other side of the street with bullets, but causing no harm to his intended targets.

The assassin opened up again, barely missing Steve, who grabbed Alanna and ducked behind some garbage cans for cover. There was a door next to him, which he tried to force, but failed. Ryan kept up the fire, but still didn’t hit anything.

Steve came up from behind the garbage cans after making sure their client was safe, and with a smile, threw a knife, which sunk into the flesh of the arm of the gunner. This was what he lived for. Braxton, meanwhile, finally managed to hit. A single shot blew a hole right through the gunner’s head, taking off half his face spraying blood over the alley, as the man slumped out the window, dead.

Screaming obscenities, the driver of the car pulled a .colt .45, and reached to roll down the window. It turned out to be unnecessary, as Ryan’s next shot, he had dropped the idea of autofire and switched to single, blew open the window, but missed the driver.

Steve, duck back behind the garbage cans, pulled out his taser, and tried to sink the darts into the screaming man, but missed, and the darts bounced harmlessly off the side of the car.

Braxton was on a roll. His second shot went right through the passenger side window and into the driver’s back, passing through and taking out the man’s heart and a few other internal organs.

It had been less than thirty seconds since the two men started shooting, but it was over. Both of the assassins were dead, and their target was unharmed.

Ryan quickly took charge of the situation. “There’s a Roasted Nut coffee shop six blocks from here, get to it. Now. We’ll meet you there after we clean up here,” he stated, all business as he put his mini-uzi back in its holster.

Alanna stammered a thank you, and quickly fled into the night.

Meanwhilem Steve was checking out the dead bodies, relieving them of their wallets. There was no identification, but the driver’s face was familiar. As Alanna left, and Ryan moved up to join him, Steve snapped his fingers.

“Now I know where I saw this guy,” he said, point at the driver. “He was in the paper, two weeks ago. He was being released on bail, had been charged with assault. He is, well, was, a member of the Aryan Nation.”

“Son of a bitch,” muttered Ryan. “Neo-Nazis. Scum of the world. Bet ya ten bucks that we’re going to be seeing more of them before we finish we finish with this job. Get the Uzi, you’ll need a gun.”

“But-” started Steve, starting to explain, like he had a few times before, that he didn’t like guns and he wasn’t particularly skilled in their use.

“No buts,” snapped Ryan. “Just take the damn thing, and let’s clean this place up.”

Steve shrugged, and divested the dead Nazi of his Uzi as Ryan took the driver’s M1911. Ironic, really, that a Neo-Nazi would be using a weapon originally designed by Israel, thought Steve. He then whirled a metal baton out from underneath his coat, and smashed in the teeth of each dead Nazi, ensuring that they'd never be identified by dental records. Once that grisly task was done, and as Braxton rejoined them, Steve took out a white phosphorous grenade, pulled the pin and dropped it in the window of the car.

The three left, walking back towards their van, as the car burst into flames behind them, burning merrily underneath the dark, New York skyline. There were faint sirens in the distance, as the police finally responded to reports of gunshots, but the crew was long gone by the time the police arrived.

Best quotes:
“Quick, tell our characters that the car is coming.”
“I’ve only got a cellphone, what do you want me to do? Put down my rifle and call you?”

“They’re Nazis? Sweet, I love killing Nazis.”

Tune in next time I can manage to write up a session summary for thriling second episode of the three episode series premiere of the Winter of Our Discontent.

Last edited:

Falkus

Explorer
I'll be updating the story hour later this evening or tommorow at the latest, and uploading the characters on Friday or Saturday.

Falkus

Explorer
Episode two

“Giles, this is Ryan,” Ryan said into his cellphone as he drove the team’s van through the traffic of New York. “We’ve got a job, but we’re going to need some backup. You busy?”

“Just finished that deal I was doing,” replied Giles. Smooth and confident, Giles was the groups faceman, though he often had other business on the side that kept him away from some of their work. “You can pick me up at my place?”

“We’ll be there in two shakes.”

A short while later
Braxton sat down in the Roasted Nut, ordering some coffee. Alanna had already arrived, and was seated a few booths away. She didn’t know Braxton was there, and she wasn’t supposed to. Braxton was just there to watch over the meeting. She was drinking from a cup of coffee, and holding some sort of medallion in her left hand.

A few minutes later, Steve and Giles walked in. After satisfying themselves that they weren’t being watched by anybody suspicious, they took a seat across from her. She slipped the medallion back under her shirt as they approached.

“That was unrelated,” she stated, setting her coffee down on the table. “The attack did not have anything to do with what I want to hire you for.”

“Why do they want you dead?” asked Steve.

“Let’s just say that there are groups that hate certain people, like me, for what they are,” Alanna replied. She sighed.

“You do realize that we’ll expect compensation for this,” stated Steve.

“Agreed,” added Giles. “But we can put that off until later. Add it on the bill for the whole business. Tell us about the job you need us to do.”

“A, well, an associate of mine, Nieulor, has been kidnapped,” stated Alanna. Giles got the sense that Nieulor was more than an associate of Alanna.

“Got a description?” asked Giles, taking out a notepad and pencil.

Alanna put a picture on the table of a young man with green eyes and long, blonde hair. Dressed in a nice suit as well. “He’s been looking for something of his that was stolen some time ago. He called me, told me to meet him near city hall. He said he had found it, and would be able to retrieve it within a few days. But he never showed up at the meeting place. That was two days ago.”

“Are you sure he’s been kidnapped?” inquired Steve. “Maybe the people hunting you killed him?”

She shook her head. “No, they’d make it public, display the body somewhere. They wouldn’t just hide it. I know them.”

It made sense, hate groups rarely covered up the existence of their crime. They wanted people to know what they were doing. “What was he looking for?” asked Giles.

“I don’t know, he never told me.” She sounded honest enough, thought Giles. “But it was quite important to him.”

“Anything else you can tell us?”

“Just one other thing. When he called, he was at a restauraunt, it was a, what was the name? Oh yes, the Blanched Escargot. I don’t have anything else I can tell you.”

“Well then, we’ll see what we can do. But, back to compensation,” Giles named the price, factoring in the cost of shooting back at the alley.

“My associates have access to considerable financial resources,” stated Alanna. “We can meet your price.”

“Excellent, we’ll get right on it.”

Giles and Steve stood up and left. Braxton remained for a few minutes, keeping on eye on Alanna, so as not to seem suspicious by leaving at the same time. After a minute, Alana left as well, walking right by Braxton’s booth.

Odd, thought Braxton. He had a good eye, and judging by some slight scars, it looked like Alanna had had some plastic surgery done on her ears very recently.

Later that evening, near the Blanched Escargot
The team was discussing their next course of action in their parked van. The restaurant was their only lead, at the moment.

Research into Nieulor hadn’t revealed much, aside from the fact that he was a wealthy investor. Checking up on Alana had turned up a complete blank. The restaurant, however, was a different matter. The research had indicated that the place was currently under investigation by the IRS for certain accounting irregularities, but the exact details were unknown.

Braxton and Steve got out of the van, and headed towards the front door, with the purpose of scouting out the place, and maybe gathering some information from patrons or the staff. Giles and Ryan, on the other hand, headed around back of the restauraunt, to check out rear entrance.

As they approached the door, three large men in trenchcoats and cowboy hats pushed their way through the door, past the waiter, and into the kitchens.

Unusual, thought Braxton. These guys didn’t seem like ordinary thugs. Stance was more like bodyguards, really.

The restauraunt was pretty bare, not too many customers, and the staff didn’t appear to be particularly energetic. Steve managed to get them the best seat in the place, however, by sleeping the waiter a fifty dollar bill. The waiter was a bit suspicious, instantly realizing that the pair weren’t there for food, but he didn’t care, so showed them to their seats.

As the two scanned the menus, and looked around the room, a single shot rang out from the kitchen.

Followed by several more shots, a long burst of machine pistol fire, some inhuman screams of pain, a few more shots, more machine gun fire and another scream.

The waiters and customers, of course, panicked and charged the main door en masse.

“What the hell?” Ryan muttered, as they neared the back of the restaurant, his hand reaching towards his holster.

The backdoor of the restauraunt burst open, and out came one of the thugs, bleeding from multiple gunshot wounds. But what was more horrifying was his face. His hat was gone, revealing a brutish, furry face with large pointed ears, one of which had been shot away.

Despite this, Ryan didn’t look his cool. “You’re not going anywhere!” he snapped, grabbing the thug by the coat. Whatever it was looked at him, and then collapsed to the ground, expiring from its wounds.

“Jesus Christ, what the hell is this?” muttered Giles, dropping down to examine the body, and finding a Colt Python and some ammunition. Whatever it was, it probably wasn’t human.

Meanwhile, Steve and Braxton, after the panicing customers and waiters were gone, crept up on the kitchen door, and looked inside. They same a man disappear behind a closing hole in the wall, and three bodies on the ground. Two of them were the thugs that broke into the place, and the third was a normal human lying dead against the wall, with a Mac-10 in his hands. Loud French cursing was coming from the pantry, where the chef had locked himself.

“What the hell went on in here?” asked Steve rhetorically as Braxton took the revolvers from the corpses.

“These things, they aren’t human,” Giles stated as they walked in through the backdoor. Ryan was agreeing.

“What are they then?” replied Steve. Steve was no conspiracy theorist; he liked to keep his head rooted in reality.

“I’ve of heard of things like this,” continued Giles, as he searched through his extensive knowledge on the arcane and the supernatural. “Bugbears, I think they were called. Magical monsters-”

“And they call me mad,” stated Braxton, who was poking around, trying to figure out how to open the secret passage that they had seen close. “What's next, wizards?”

“I have to agree with him. You’re sounding real crazy. Monsters and magic, c’mon,” added Steve.

Giles stubbornly stuck to his beliefs. “And then Alana. Ever hear of elves? She was short, Braxton mentioned it looked like she’d had surgery done on her ears.”

“You’re crazy,” Braxton said, as he pushed in on a loose brick he found.

Meanwhile, Ryan was talking the chef out of kitchen.

“What happened here?” he asked, once the man finally calmed down and left his hiding place.

“THOSE BASTARDS!” shouted the Chef, angrily, gesturing at the dead man. “They assured me when we made this deal that nothing like this would happen! Sons of bitches!”

“What are you talking about?” asked Ryan.

The chef angrily pointed at the open passage. “Them, those smugglers. They said that it would be quiet when I agreed to let them set up here. That nothing like this would happen. You do what you want to them, I don’t care what!”

There were sirens in the distance. “We’d better get out of here before the cops arrive,” commented Steve, quietly as the group stepped away from the chef.

“Take the passage?” suggested Giles. “They’re getting close, we might not be able to get to the van without being spotted.

“See if we can close it from the inside,” said Ryan.

Braxton stepped inside, and looked down the dark staircase inside. Lights flickered on over his head. “Clear,” he shouted out. “And it looks like I can close it from in here.”

With that confirmed, the team entered the dark passage, closing the door behind them as the police cars pulled up in front of the restaurant.

Their guns came out, and they slowly started moving the staircase, Braxton and Ryan taking the lead.

Best quote:
Giles: “Look, monsters and magic plainly do exist. The truth is out there.”
Ryan: “And the government’s keeping it under wraps and spying on us through the TV.”
Giles: “Now that’s just plain crazy talk.”

“I think you’ve been playing DnD too much. There’s no such thing as magic.”

Falkus

Explorer
Thank you. Thank you every much. Updates will be slow for the next two weeks, due to finals, but I'm hoping to get all my groups sessions this semester up before the end of Christmas break.

Arkhandus

First Post
Yeah, a neat and engaging storyhour you've started here, Falkus. Nice opening and style I think. Just enough detail to have a good idea of the action and setup, without being overly vague or excessive. Can't very well go wrong with a start of dead neo-nazis and trenchcoated bugbears. {:^D

Remove ads