• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D20 To Die For

nedjer

Adventurer
Just received a good image of one of Q-Workshops pretty amazing large D20s. Stuck it up on the blog at Thistle Games. With permission.

Please don't rip the image, as it was against their policy to put out a large, clean image and took a bit of persuading.

Ghostwind

First Post
Meh. I just don't get the fascination with Q Workshop dice. Most of them that I've seen are nearly impossible to read at the gaming table.

nedjer

Adventurer
Meh. I just don't get the fascination with Q Workshop dice. Most of them that I've seen are nearly impossible to read at the gaming table.

Prop value mainly. Especially when playign with kids.

And I'd have to agree, there are some sets that aren't plain to see at the table.

Steel_Wind

Legend
IME, their readability varies from set to set...and within a set, depending upon colors.

Yeah, I'm not feeling the love for overproduced frilly dice.

I'm far more of a fan of Koplow's and Chessex's dice -- at least their more "normal" offerings.

In tubes, I buy Koplow. By the scoopful, I get Chessex dice at Gencon. Either way, these are far more useful to me than the flowery inscribed stuff from Q-W.

In the end, it is a matter of taste and preference.

Ah well. I guess it's all a step up from the High Impact D20 in the original basic D&D sets that chipped so much they became rounded golf balls. Hell, I still remember using grease pencils well into the mid-80s to "ink" my polyhedral dice so the numbers were legible. Back in the day, polyhedral dice didn't have ANY marking, let alone flowery script!

And we LIKED it that way! GET OFF MY LAWN!!

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I have a fondness for oversized d20s, and have one for each of my Chessex sets. Good that they are offering that option for fans of their dice. It may be the thing to make me consider buying on of their sets.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, I'm not feeling the love for overproduced frilly dice.

But wait! I actually have several sets of theirs that I love. I just think you have to choose wisely.

I'm far more of a fan of Koplow's and Chessex's dice -- at least their more "normal" offerings.
I don't have much in the way of Koplow's, but I have a metric ton of Chessex.

Ah well. I guess it's all a step up from the High Impact D20 in the original basic D&D sets that chipped so much they became rounded golf balls. Hell, I still remember using grease pencils well into the mid-80s to "ink" my polyhedral dice so the numbers were legible. Back in the day, polyhedral dice didn't have ANY marking, let alone flowery script!

And we LIKED it that way! GET OFF MY LAWN!!

I remember them well. Hell- I still have my first set of pointy, pointy purple dice with the numbers filled in black.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads