• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Tribe 8...interest?

Wil

First Post
Dream Pod 9 is including d20 conversion information in the upcoming Tribe 8 Player's Guide. I was kind of curious, does anyone have any interest in this information? I've heard from a number of people that while Tribe 8 looks cool, they don't want to learn a new system or (alternately) they have issues with the Silhouette system. Plus, the d20 conversions will allow people who don't want to use Tribe 8's setting to insert elements from the game into their own d20 games.

So, whaddya think? Something you'd pass on or take a gander at?

Skywalker

Adventurer
trancejeremy said:
eh

Seems like one of those artsy games that is setting heavy, but a setting so implausible that I can't take it seriously.

I don't mean to seem presumptious (maybe I am misreading your post) but - implausible? What, like elves, dwarves and magic? I understand not enjoying a game because its not you thing but calling a fantasy game implausible seems a little odd... :)

If it helps, from what I know and have heard of Tribe 8 is a fantastical setting that does a good job of presenting a gritty, believable and realistic setting. Of course there are fantastical elements like spiritual magic, horrible beasts and gods that walk the earth but these are found in most fantasy settings.

JoeCrow

Explorer
Actually, yeah. It does make a difference. Tribe 8 always looked like a really interesting setting, but my finances are tight enough that I've never been able to justify dropping the cash on a game I'll likely never be able to convince my players to try. They're kinda d20-centric, y'know? With the conversion data, I can just say it's research for game stuff.

Consider some of my next freelancer check bookmarked for some Tribe 8 stuff...

Wil

First Post
trancejeremy said:
eh

Seems like one of those artsy games that is setting heavy, but a setting so implausible that I can't take it seriously.

Okay, let's run down the setting elements.

• Spiritual apocalypse. In a nutshell, mankinds worst fears, sins, etc. manifest after being pushed aside for tens of thousands of years. They enter the world and cause the fall of civilization.
  • For several centuries, mankind is enslaved by the horrors (called the Z'bri). Unspeakable, terrible things are done to the human race during this time.
  • Salvation comes in the form of the Fatimas, avatars of the One Goddess who free each of the Camps and break Z'bri rule (but not completely eliminate the Z'bri).
  • Two generations after the Liberation, the Fatimas have seemingly enslaved mankind, but in a different way than their Z'bri enemies. The Nation, made up of the seven Tribes that each follow a particular Fatima, begins Banishing those who do not fit in, question the status quo, etc.
  • These Fallen, who supposedly are soulless and less than human after the Fatimas have withdrawn their love from them, find that they have even greater mystical powers. Many start to believe that they are the prophecied Eighth Tribe, but none can agree on what to do about it.
  • The PCs start the game by default as freshly Fallen, thrust into a hostile world where they have no friends and too many enemies.

The setting includes the monstrous Z'bri (who are, hands down, the single worst villains I have seen in any rpg); hordes of various other spirits, undead, and other creatures; dream magic called Synthesis that allows for you to attempt nearly any effect you can dream of (pun intended); and enough detail and flexibility to run any kind of game you want. You can run a gritty, dark struggle for every inch of survival, or you can run a heroic story of the Fallen's rise from wretched castoffs to the saviors of humanity. It can be all hack 'n slash, or all intrigue. The world feels real, and every element fits internally. How that's implausible I can't even begin to understand.

Gaius

First Post
I use to play with a group that ran a kickass Tribe 8 game. I had a Fallen Joanite Templar who had become a Lightbringer. Kind of like a paladin, only without the moral code. It was sweet. Too bad that game fell through. It's not often that I get to be a player.

Tribe 8 is a fantastic setting.

Gaius

EarthsShadow

First Post
I think the Tribe 8 setting is awesome, but there isn't a single person where I live that wanted to give it a shot because of the different system. If they converted a sourcebook into d20 I would buy it in a heartbeat and definately urge the players around here to play in it.

Where did you hear that they are doing a definate conversion of it?

Tiama'at

First Post
The upcoming Tribe 8 Player's Guide (early/mid-December) will have a d20 conversion chapter in it (not officially d20 - no logo, the book has character creation/advancement rules).

I know this because, well, I wrote the chapter.

- Ma'at

Blacksad

Explorer
Perhaps someone should send the scoop to Morrus, so that it appears on the news page.

With links to this thread and RPG.net thread, to see if there is interest (personaly I'm more interested in Core Commands if it feature similar silhouette/d20 conversion).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads