• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

d20 Tribe 8...interest?

Gaius

First Post
Ummm, you know, some people played RPG's before d20 and still realize that other systems are just as good as the current fad. I got into Tribe 8 before I got into D&D 3E. But even if I hadn't, I'd still have been drawn to Tribe 8 by the strength of its setting alone.

I think it's pretty sad when you play a roleplaying game for the rules as opposed to the setting. I find the latter to be far more important to the former. Especially considering that I usually invent rules on the fly, mostly due to my utter lack of concerning for learning them in exacting detail. The rules serve only to supplement the story. And that's why you should play your game based on the setting first and foremost. It's more important.

Like I said in my last post, Tribe 8 kicks ass. This thread made me drag out all my old books for it. Wish I still had that game going. Got too much else on my plate to start GMing yet another campaign. Maybe I'll have to give Tribe 8 a few one-night-stands, just for a change of pace.

Gaius

Marc A. Vezina

First Post
Blacksad said:
Perhaps someone should send the scoop to Morrus, so that it appears on the news page.

I would gladly announce it if someone would point me toward the right address. :)

(personaly I'm more interested in Core Commands if it feature similar silhouette/d20 conversion).

The new Silhouette rulebook will have such a chapter, and we're looking into dual-stating CC (since it seems it's the only way one gets games in stores now). The conversion's fairly short -- surprisingly, Silhouette and D20 have a lot in common, such as Attributes that are used as modifiers, and target numbers (DC for D20, Thresholds for Silhouette).

Granted, the dice are different. :)

---
Marc A. Vezina
DP9

Marc A. Vezina

First Post
Wil said:
...the upcoming Mecha Compendium from DP9 will have d20 stats for every published vehicle - Heavy Gear, Gear Krieg and Jovian Chronicles

Yep. In effect, this book will serve as the D20 version of all our mecha games (since we don't want to add yet more D20 versions to clutter the shelves of stores).

- plus new ones.

Yep -- a whole lot of different genres, too. We're building the MC as a sourcebook that can be used by D&D players, Spycraft players, StarWars/Dragonstar/whatnot players, etc. Definitely aiming for a broad approach.

Basically, the mecha are big monsters that can be customized. If all goes well, you should even be able to apply monster templates to them (undead mecha, anyone?). :)

---
Marc A. Vezina
DP9

Marc,

Now that sounds, especially if you mix it with a bio-tech Gear/ Exo. My own undead wight Exo-Armor. My players will hate me forever.

I take it since the MC will cover all the mechanical designs we'll see stats for the LS Exo-Armors like the Kaminari? Also what about other mechanical designs like the Aller or the Abdiel? How about the aircraft found in TAS?

The email address for scoops is: morrus@d20reviews.com . You might also want to make an anouncement on the D20 publishers forum for both the Tribe 8 Player's Handbook and the Mecha Compendium: http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=10

olethros

First Post
I tried getting some of my friends interested in the original Tribe 8, but they got tired of reading stories instead of summarized background information. I'm hoping the format of this new book, plus the obligatory d20 enticement, will sway them over.

I also know a group of Escaflowne fans that are dying to get the d20 mecha book so they can finally rpg in the Escaflowne world.

Tiama'at

First Post
olethros said:
I tried getting some of my friends interested in the original Tribe 8, but they got tired of reading stories instead of summarized background information. I'm hoping the format of this new book, plus the obligatory d20 enticement, will sway them over.

If the over-narration was a problem then your players will be very very happy with this book. There is a minimum of narration in the book (I think at most there is a total of 2-3 pages of it spread over all seven chapters). All information is written in standard, "objective" voice with solid facts in many cases. The goal of this book was to get information into the hands of players, cutting away all the other bits that might muddle things up.

Bits of narration (from what I know of the manuscript)
- GURPS like quotes and such, in sidebars
- a couple of paragraphs about the ritual of banishment
- some very short "quote" like info at the beginning of each Outlook explanation.

Marc A. Vezina

First Post
The Black Kestrel said:
Now that sounds, especially if you mix it with a bio-tech Gear/ Exo. My own undead wight Exo-Armor. My players will hate me forever.

That's the plan.

I take it since the MC will cover all the mechanical designs we'll see stats for the LS Exo-Armors like the Kaminari? Also what about other mechanical designs like the Aller or the Abdiel? How about the aircraft found in TAS?

No, mostly because of page count limitations. We'll have the major vehicles of each setting, plus a couple of variants for each (since those take only a couple of lines of text). If space allows, we'll add a few more.

---
Marc A. Vezina
DP9

EarthsShadow

First Post
Aww now that is a bummer, no narration. That was like one of the best aspects of reading the Tribe 8 rulebook, it really got me into the game world. It made it a lot of fun to read.

Tiama'at

First Post
EarthsShadow said:
Aww now that is a bummer, no narration. That was like one of the best aspects of reading the Tribe 8 rulebook, it really got me into the game world. It made it a lot of fun to read.

Well, for others it was a major stumbling block - all that narration and too little hard information made the setting a bit blurry. Since we were trying to attract new people, and get back some of the ones who were turned off by the narration (and the implicit importance of the signature NPCs - Deus, Hal Ninva, Veruka and Altara Ven) we went narrative-lite. I think (personal opinion only) that setting information can be done in narration but you also need "objective" description from time to time. Helps players, and especially helps Weavers (T8 DMs) - particularly in those instances where you might want to change one or two things about the setting for your own game.

Matthew

Remove ads