Daenerys Targaryen to face the Terminator

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Everyone keeps telling goldo 'bro, the effects were state of the art at the time' which in no way, shape or form rebuts his criticism that the movie did not age well.

Again, I personally like most of the movie contra to his pointed dislikes- acting, plot, etc. 'Bout the only way in which the movie can be said to "not age well" would be in SFX, and, again, I disagree. In that area, the critique misses the nature of SFX- he's criticizing the film on the basis of something that could hardly have been better at the time, INCLUDING some props that were actually used in the subsequent movies he does not judge likewise.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Yes, we get the picture. You like Terminator 2. Almost every other post in this thread is you arguing that T2 is better than T1. Other people don't agree. That doesn't mean you have to keep repeating your opinion: people's preferences are subjective, and being told again and again that their tastes are wrong isn't going to make them change their mind.
You mean like people who keep saying T-1 is awesome?

Ragnar_Lodbrok

First Post
You mean like people who keep saying T-1 is awesome?
No, I'm saying I liked it, and feel it aged okay. T2 is undeniably better. I just don't have a good enough grasp of film technicalities to judge them to any real level. Music's similar. The best explanation for that which comes to mind is that I have no interest in or ability to make films (or songs).

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Again, I personally like most of the movie contra to his pointed dislikes- acting, plot, etc. 'Bout the only way in which the movie can be said to "not age well" would be in SFX, and, again, I disagree. In that area, the critique misses the nature of SFX- he's criticizing the film on the basis of something that could hardly have been better at the time, INCLUDING some props that were actually used in the subsequent movies he does not judge likewise.

I don't think you're understanding the point. Back then the effects could have been the bee's knees. That's got poo all to do with today, though. Hell man, that's the point. The time it was made has nothing to do with how it looks today.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't think you're understanding the point. Back then the effects could have been the bee's knees. That's got poo all to do with today, though. Hell man, that's the point. The time it was made has nothing to do with how it looks today.

I haven't missed the point at all. I said previously that's like criticizing a classic Ford Mustang from the 60s for not being a Pagani Zonda.

If you look at modern music, there were some electric guitar and bass techniques pioneered in the 1960s and 1970s. Some of those pioneering techniques have become the hallmarks of mere competence for guitarists and bass players of this era.

Criticizing those pioneers as being less technically accomplished as those who built upon their work over the subsequent decades is simply unfair.

A cave painting at Lasceaux is not any less amazing because it isn't a photorealistic composition.

If someone were to remake Terminator using the techniques of the 1980's, criticizing the nature of the project's SFX as being dated would be a valid critique.

But looking at the original as it stands, though, and judging it as flawed because a 30 year old film's SFX don't look as good as CGI SFX of the films of the current era...that's just as unfair.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think T2 has aged worse. The CGI is really ropey by today's standards. It continues to age every year. The model work in T1 aged for a while, but it kinda stopped aging 15 years ago.

T1 is more visceral than T2. And less kiddy - nobody guns down a nightclub full of people in cold blood in T2. And Hamilton's performance is better. I agree T2 is a better movie, but T1 has strengths T2 doesn't. And doesn't have that dodgy CGI.

Kramodlog

I think T2 has aged worse. The CGI is really ropey by today's standards. It continues to age every year. The model work in T1 aged for a while, but it kinda stopped aging 15 years ago.
The CGI aged rather well and could compete with some films today.

T1 is more visceral than T2. And less kiddy - nobody guns down a nightclub full of people in cold blood in T2. And Hamilton's performance is better. I agree T2 is a better movie, but T1 has strengths T2 doesn't. And doesn't have that dodgy CGI.
Whoa! You're kidding, right? The shootings in T-1 are rather comical and Hamilton's acting was also comical. T-2 is very adult, dark and violent. Hamilton is a tranformed woman. The atmosphere is more oppressive, the sense of being a tracked beast is actually achieved.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The CGI aged rather well and could compete with some films today.

I don't think so. That bit where the T1000 walks out of the flames of the truck looked awful 10 years ago, let alone now. It's pretty dire.

Whoa! You're kidding, right? The shootings in T-1 are rather comical and Hamilton's acting was also comical. T-2 is very adult, dark and violent. Hamilton is a tranformed woman. The atmosphere is more oppressive, the sense of being a tracked beast is actually achieved.

T2 feels like a sterilized Disney flick in comparison. It's far more kiddy.

It's still a better movie, but *that's* not why!

Kramodlog

I don't think so. That bit where the T1000 walks out of the flames of the truck looked awful 10 years ago, let alone now. It's pretty dire.
Not has a bad as the Hobbit film when the crew get off the eagles. That was pretty bad CGI.

T2 feels like a sterilized Disney flick in comparison. It's far more kiddy.
Really? I just watched the shooting in the police station. It is pretty tame. No blood or gore, just cops getting shot (jumping back). Nothing special. No tension, no sense of aesthetics, no blood and rather comical. Disposable cops. Having a lot of people getting shot doesn't mean it is more gritty. How it is done is important too.

When the T-1000 kills John's dad with a blade though the head, it is not "kiddy". There is an effort to create an emotional impact on the viewer by surprising him with a rather graphic image that is unveiled gradually. There is a sense of aesthetic and actual blood! There is an emotional impact with just one death.

Remove ads