Damage systems (lethal only)

For a hobby in which lethal violence is common, if not central, there are not a lot of damage models out there.

There's the hit point system, with minor tweaks and name changes (WH 'wounds'), which came out with D&D.

There's loss of attribute points.

There's wound categories: minor, serious, major, etc.

Riddle of Steel and Millennium's End dealt in trauma, structure, and blood loss.

What else?

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
The One Roll Engine came out attached to supers games (Godlike, Wild Talents) but REIGN is Fantasy and there's Nemesis as an unfinished CoC-esque game. It's a pretty lethal combat system, intentionally, but I dunno the others you've mentioned in enough detail to compare them (sorry).

The One Roll Engine came out attached to supers games (Godlike, Wild Talents) but REIGN is Fantasy and there's Nemesis as an unfinished CoC-esque game. It's a pretty lethal combat system, intentionally, but I dunno the others you've mentioned in enough detail to compare them (sorry).

How does it model (track) damage?

prabe

Supporter
Everything that follows is from memory, and I haven't looked at the rules in probably close to a decade.

Hit locations (head, torso, 2x legs, 2x arms), very limited hit-points per locations (IIRC, total of like 12), non-lethal damage (which extends to many blunt weapons) mark hit points by halves (the character sheets have bubbles, and the rules recommend using slashes for non-lethal and xes for lethal). Fill in the bubbles in an extremity and it's destroyed (or at least useless). Damage that would go to a destroyed extremity goes to the torso; if you fill in the torso or the head, you die.

Continuing to pull from memory, arms have like 5 hit points, and it's not unusual to have a weapon that effectively does a minimum damage of 3.

I hope that's clear-ish.

Everything that follows is from memory, and I haven't looked at the rules in probably close to a decade.

Hit locations (head, torso, 2x legs, 2x arms), very limited hit-points per locations (IIRC, total of like 12), non-lethal damage (which extends to many blunt weapons) mark hit points by halves (the character sheets have bubbles, and the rules recommend using slashes for non-lethal and xes for lethal). Fill in the bubbles in an extremity and it's destroyed (or at least useless). Damage that would go to a destroyed extremity goes to the torso; if you fill in the torso or the head, you die.

Continuing to pull from memory, arms have like 5 hit points, and it's not unusual to have a weapon that effectively does a minimum damage of 3.

I hope that's clear-ish.
Sounds like Battletech!

prabe

Supporter
Sounds like Battletech!
Not wildly dissimilar in some ways. I played a fair amount of Battletech, and A) that might explain why the system at least didn't turn me off and B) I might have conflated the ORE rules with Battletech some, above (though I don't think I did).

aramis erak

Legend
For a hobby in which lethal violence is common, if not central, there are not a lot of damage models out there.
[...]
What else?
In Cortex Plus' Firefly form, any hit takes any character out of scene. If you have a plot point, you can instead convert that to a condition which provides bonus dice to your opposition when acting against you. Smaller conditions than your current can be instead turned into an increase (in dice sizes) in your existing condition. If a condition steps up above d12, you're taken out.

In CORPS... 9 hit locations. Each modifies the damage and fatality chances.
The damage is always in two kinds: Lethal and Non-Lethal. Armor has two ratings: Damage stopped, and damage converted from lethal to non-lethal. A 5 point lethal hit on 2/2 armor loses 2 lethal, and converts 2 to non-lethal, for a 1 point lethal hit, and a 2 point non-lethal... (This would still be a net 3 impairment, see below)
When you take the hit, the impairment is modified for the location. The check for eventually fatal is the damage modified by the inverse of the impairment mod. The impairment = the damage + location mod.
A d10 is rolled for "eventually fatal" vs lethal damage (only). If the roll is under the lethal-location mod, it's eventually fatal, and the amount made by (coupled by location) can cause instantly fatal.
Then, make a Will vs total impairment to remain conscious. (most of the time, this won't need a roll. Non-lethal counts for consciousness, but not for eventually/instantly fatal.
Each location tracks impairment separately. Each wound's impairment is separate, but... the actual penalty is the highest impairment plus one for each other impairment to the location, and each location specifies which attributes are affected.
Note that, due to the way it handles tasks (no roll needed if skill > difficulty, no roll allowed if Difficulty > 5+skill (there's an optional rule shoving that to Diff > 10+ skill).
Each wound separately heals... many small wounds are more survivable, and heal faster, but a single large hit is more likely to kill and/or KO. Armor matters. Armor matters a lot.
If that next turn, a 7 point comes in, the first "2" from the armor lowers it to 5 lethal. The second then makes it 3 lethal and 2 non. Say, head hit. Both impairments drop by 1 for head, so 2 and 1. The eventually fatal chance is based upon the inverse mod and past-armor damage, so 3-(-1)=4. I roll, get a 2... My gy is bleeding (which is 1 per eventually lethal per round, directly reducing health.) Head hits are instantly fatal if the roll was made by 3 or more... a 1 would have been time for an Airman Apprentice to scrape brains off the walls nearby. So, a 2L and 1NL, for a net -3 to all actions involving Awareness or Health.
Staying conscious is modified by the largest impairment by location, plus 1 per other location impaired. Shotguns don't kill often in this game... but the do tend to make people incapable of further action. A .45 to the head without a helmet? DV4 or higher (increase difficulty to hit to increase damage over the 4 base)? 50/30/20 impaired/impaired&bleeding/instakill. It also has a 10% chance of KO.

Yes, CORPS has a difference in 1-shot stops and 1-shot kills. And shotguns are great for 1-shot stops... while .454 Casul is great for one-shot kills. (My More Guns copy isn't to hand.) The IMI eagle .357 to the head is a 10/30/50 percents. 50% of instant kill. And, without armor, that's also 8 points of impairment. Joe Normal HLT 4 is 4 shy, so needs 11-(2×deficit) or less on 1d10, so 11-(2×4)=11-8=3 or less to stay conscious.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
HarnMaster has a fairly detailed (and brutal) system which tracks specific injuries. Each injury may cause shock and, in some cases, amputation or instant death. There are optional bleeding rules.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Role Master uses hits, but they account for general shock and fatigue. Specific injury are inflicted through critical tables specific for the kind of attack.

aramis erak

Legend
Role Master uses hits, but they account for general shock and fatigue. Specific injury are inflicted through critical tables specific for the kind of attack.
It's also worth noting that the 20 different armor types also, via the magic of table lookups, are tuned to the various interactions between specific weapon vs specific armor.

Remove ads