Dark Crystal RPG on the way!

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Has this already been covered here? Looks like the Dark Crystal Adventure Game is finally ready to go, and open for pre-orders! It's coming on Dec 31 for $44.99.

It's being released by River Horse, and will be in a similar format to their Labyrinth Adventure Game book a couple years ago. The package includes the 290 page game book with foldouts, a map of the game world Thra, a bookmark, and apparently some sort of overlay film to view secret info in the book. Not sure what the system itself, but it's described as "Easy to learn rules, perfect for the first-time player."

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I'm potentially interested in this BUT this also isn't the first time a Dark Crystal RPG has ostensibly been in the works (there was some noise about The Burning Wheel HQ creating one many years ago, before the property was hot again).

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I'm potentially interested in this BUT this also isn't the first time a Dark Crystal RPG has ostensibly been in the works (there was some noise about The Burning Wheel HQ creating one many years ago, before the property was hot again).

Oh yeah, I remember that in 2011. Here's a link to an old story:

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that 2011 game was actually written (much less got to pre-orders) when they made the announcement? Whereas this one sounds like the physical product is pretty close to ready to go. So... I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Of course, the this game system is also completely different to that one, I'm assuming more like the Labyrinth Adventure Game? Not sure, as I have no experience that. But it was pretty well received for what it was, as I recall. And for what it's worth, this particular game sounds like it's about 1 part rules to 2 parts adventure.

So again: optimistic. But we'll see come the end of December, I guess.

Arilyn

Hero
The Labyrinth Adventure Game is a lovely gem. It's especially great for kids to practice their puzzle solving and stretch their imaginations. The system is super simple, the game mostly being adventure sites. Dark Crystal will probably be great too.

aramis erak

Legend
Oh yeah, I remember that in 2011. Here's a link to an old story:

I may be mistaken, but I don't think that 2011 game was actually written (much less got to pre-orders) when they made the announcement? Whereas this one sounds like the physical product is pretty close to ready to go. So... I'm cautiously optimistic about this one.

Of course, the this game system is also completely different to that one, I'm assuming more like the Labyrinth Adventure Game? Not sure, as I have no experience that. But it was pretty well received for what it was, as I recall. And for what it's worth, this particular game sounds like it's about 1 part rules to 2 parts adventure.

So again: optimistic. But we'll see come the end of December, I guess.
I recall Luke posting that he'd turned in the manuscript to Archaia Studio Press, but they had a financial crunch, and never published it.
He stated that it was a rework of the Mouse Guard mechanics. I still want it. Probably never see it.

Given River Horse's excellent Tails of Equestria, I'm curious about this one...

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I just stumbled across this unboxing video from a month ago by River Horse, publisher of the Dark Crystal Adventure Game:

As expected, it looks like a beautiful, chunky, elaborate game book, effectively a big gazetteer of Thra with a map inside the dust jacket. It includes material from the movie, comics, and Netflix series, so it draws on a vast period in the world's history. As a game, it sounds basically like a hex crawl setting, with a "save the world" type campaign laid over the top. The writers indicate the system is a somewhat crunchier-- and maybe grimmer?-- take on the one in their Labyrinth, The Adventure Game book, and includes rules for combat, death & dying, and bringing in new PCs to replace the dearly departed.

Oh... And apparently, this no longer on pre-order! It's available for purchase now for £34.99 on River Horse's online shop. (On Amazon US, I see it listed as "Available Soon," for $42 plus $13 shipping, delivery in mid-February.)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Oh... And apparently, this no longer on pre-order! It's available for purchase now for £34.99 on River Horse's online shop. (On Amazon US, I see it listed as "Available Soon," for $42 plus $13 shipping, delivery in mid-February.)
For what it's worth, I've had some experience trying to order River Horse products via Amazon (for their My Little Pony RPG, Tails of Equestria), and I wouldn't recommend trying to get them that way. While their products do eventually make it over here, it takes a long time, frequently exceeding Amazon's predictions.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
For what it's worth, I've had some experience trying to order River Horse products via Amazon (for their My Little Pony RPG, Tails of Equestria), and I wouldn't recommend trying to get them that way. While their products do eventually make it over here, it takes a long time, frequently exceeding Amazon's predictions.
Ah, good to know! Thanks for the heads up.

Remove ads