• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dark Sun 3.5 - Trail of the Defiler

Lot

First Post
The thri-kreen moves his mandibles in the kreen version of a nod.

"Yes, there is a wizard and his ways do suck the land dry and black. But he is not the one who rules us. There is another kreen from the distant lands. His skin is black and his voice is odd, but he is certainly of the People. He is large and very powerful, a master of battle and of the Way. He came and challenged our last pack leader, a druid called K'tiuk. K'tiuk was killed almost instantly. Since then, we have been tracking bigger and bigger prey. Starting with other packs of the People. We have gathered their numbers to ours due to the might of the new Master.

The thri-kreen clicks and chirps quickly, almost panic-stricken. He seems relieved to be speaking of it, even to soft-skins.

"The wizard is not of us. He is soft and pink like some of you. He is the slave of the Master does whatever the Master tells him to.

jkason

First Post
Quaketongue Ristu, pterran druid

Lot said:
The thri-kreen moves his mandibles in the kreen version of a nod.

"Yes, there is a wizard and his ways do suck the land dry and black. But he is not the one who rules us. There is another kreen from the distant lands. His skin is black and his voice is odd, but he is certainly of the People. He is large and very powerful, a master of battle and of the Way. He came and challenged our last pack leader, a druid called K'tiuk. K'tiuk was killed almost instantly. Since then, we have been tracking bigger and bigger prey. Starting with other packs of the People. We have gathered their numbers to ours due to the might of the new Master.

The thri-kreen clicks and chirps quickly, almost panic-stricken. He seems relieved to be speaking of it, even to soft-skins.

"The wizard is not of us. He is soft and pink like some of you. He is the slave of the Master does whatever the Master tells him to.

After translating for the group, Quaketongue frowns. "A consolidation of so many kreen can't bode well for the region. That and the fact he's lashed a Defiler to his service make this Master sound fierce, indeed. With so many at his disposal, it's certainly more than a ragged caravan can face.

"I suggest we do our best to evacuate as quickly as we can. Load the wounded on a single wagon and I should be able to tend them ably enough even as we move."

Rystil Arden

First Post
"I agree. We do need to move quickly. However, that begs the question: If they had so many warriors, why did they launch an attack with such moronically low numbers?"

Lot

First Post
"Their numbers weren't so low."

A young elf woman approaches. She is short for her race, but still long and thin. Her black hair is pulled back by a blue silk scarf. The elf's arm is cradled in a makeshift sling and a bloody gash runs across her forehead.

"My name is Voquell. I am one of the survivors. We elves were hit far worse than you. Look around. Look at our camp. The number sent at you were just to keep you busy while we were slaughtered!"

She pauses, anguish crossing her face.

Rystil Arden

First Post
"Ah, that explains it. Although I'm surprised they managed to manoeuvre so many troops over there without giving any notice even though we noticed the smaller group. Nonetheless, it is more proof that we made the right decision in ignoring the lost guards and continuing onward. We need to go as quickly as possible."

Voadam

Legend
Heartseer turns to the elf maid "How many were lost and how many are left? Will you continue on with our caravan or scatter to the desert?"

Lot

First Post
Voadam said:
Heartseer turns to the elf maid "How many were lost and how many are left? Will you continue on with our caravan or scatter to the desert?"

Voquell looks up at the question.

"I...I don't know. We...this just happened. I'm not sure who made it. I'm not sure...I don't know..."

Voquell points to the elf camp, less than a hundred yards away. Most of the tents were torn apart or collapsed. The fires still burn and pools of what appears to be blood can be seen, sucking up dirt and sand. No bodies are seen.

Rudiot walks over.

"Seems like the elves were the real target. We were just kept busy so they could grab a bunch of them. You know how those bug-men love that elf flesh."

Rudiot just then sees the elf woman.

"Oh...um...sorry. Uh...you and your people are free to travel with us until Tyr. We're going to make our push in the morning. Maybe the thri-kreen will have moved on by then."

As Rudiot says it, you can tell he doesn't believe it.

Voadam

Legend
"My condolences on your tribe's losses. If you still have a leader please let them know we have information to share about the nature of the Kreen threat."

Remove ads