Dave "Wormy" Trampier Interviewed . . .

Sir Brennen

Legend
buzz said:
I'm glad to know he's alive and well, but this article makes me sad as hell. Carbondale... ugh.
Hey now! Don't be diss'n my alma mater. :)

Actually, I believe it stated in the article that he was a C'dale native, so he might have moved back to his hometown for any number of reasons.

His rakshasa illustration in the original Monster Manual has to be my favorite illustration of his.

messy

Explorer
SteveC said:
Dave's the basis for my avatar over on the left, so you can see that I'm a fan.

ditto :)

consider me among the many who misses tramp and wormy terribly :( still my favorite comic ever to appear in dragon.

messy

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
mhacdebhandia said:
This interview is from last year, so it may have been posted before, but this is apparently the Dave Trampier.

geez, i thought it was older than that.

i don't suppose his story has changed much eh? well, i wish him well. no one should have to be tied down to the expectations of others.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I'm a really big fan of Tramp's work, IMO it ranks with Calvin & Hobbes, and I look around the internet from time to time to see if there's any word on him. I've seen several different articles and media pix showing that he is indeed a cabby, but I thought I remembered him being in Chicago. There was a thread on RPGNet (IIRC - it could have been elsewhere) a year or so ago where a guy basically said "I knew him back in the day, I'm occaisionaly in touch, and yes that's him"

There was something odd with the situation where he quit Dragon - the people who were there and know what happened all refuse to talk about it. I have my own guesses, but I don't want to start rumors with my own speculation. Various people have been very clear that he's out of RPGs and doesn't want anything to do with them ever again.

I think it's a real shame. I was one of the guys who shelled out the money for a Wormy anthology (which was a lot of money for an 11 year old) and just got a refund, a "Wormy supporter" button that I still have somewhere, and a certificate of appreciation. I'd pay quite a bit of money for a Wormy anthology, and more for new material. Oh well.

Cthulhudrew

First Post
Mishihari Lord said:
There was a thread on RPGNet (IIRC - it could have been elsewhere) a year or so ago where a guy basically said "I knew him back in the day, I'm occaisionaly in touch, and yes that's him"

There's been a couple. One for sure is Jolly Blackburn, post which I linked to in my response way back upthread. I believe he was also identified on the Paizo forums as well, which is also linked to in that post. That's definitely Dave Trampier. And, like you said, according to them, he is definitely, firmly out of RPGs. :(

Beckett

Explorer
jcfiala said:
I'm sure I'm not the only person who planned to pick up the Dragon Archive CDs to have a complete collection of Wormy. :)

I was hoping that maybe I'd missed an issue or forty and I'd find a proper ending on the Archive :eek: Ah, well, I did get to see the whole thing right from the start (I think my first use of the Archive was to read all the Wormys and all the What's New?s. At some point, I'll have to pop them back in to read the complete Snarf's Quest, Robinson's War, and Libram X).

Remove ads