"Dawizard"

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just out of curiousity, Dannyalcatraz, how does one set a floppy drive on fire without the use of accelerants?

Apple IIe flopy drives made an interesting sound when you booted them up, and one of my PC-using buddies found this sound to be utterly entrancing. He'd sit there flicking the power switch on and off, on and off, on and off, just to hear that sound. No floppy was involved, either...the drive was empty.

Then one day, he's doing that and we notice a funny smell and a small plume of smoke coming from its opening. It was the beginnings of a small electrical fire...

I quickly unplugged the machine and suffocated the fire. He apologized profusely.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Mike,

Thanks for the article. It was very enjoyable.

Reading back through the other entries, I discovered the one on Jack Vance, which (amongst other things) reminded me that I haven't read the Dying Earth books yet - and so I've now ordered them.

Thank you!

Orius

Legend
I swear it was more than 16 pages . . . hmmm. I'm going to have to check my copy again.

It's only about 16 pages, I checked it last night for fun. It's not as widespread as this topic would make it seem either; most of the typos are concentrated in about 4 pages or so. It starts somewhere in the section that covers crowns, but the word damage is pretty sparce there, so there's not too many examples. When you get to the entries on the cube of force, cube of frost resistance and the like though, it really starts popping up.

It's a shame it didn't appear somewhere in one of the weapon or armor sections, or something like that where the items are going to be used in combat a lot. :p

Samnell

Explorer
It's only about 16 pages, I checked it last night for fun. It's not as widespread as this topic would make it seem either; most of the typos are concentrated in about 4 pages or so. It starts somewhere in the section that covers crowns, but the word damage is pretty sparce there, so there's not too many examples. When you get to the entries on the cube of force, cube of frost resistance and the like though, it really starts popping up.

Dawizard also appears in the Complete Wizard's Handbook. I haven't looked at mine in years, but I seem to remember it being in at least a few full chapters. (Maybe new spells and magic items?)

Mike Selinker

Explorer
Mike,

Thanks for the article. It was very enjoyable.

Reading back through the other entries, I discovered the one on Jack Vance, which (amongst other things) reminded me that I haven't read the Dying Earth books yet - and so I've now ordered them.

Thank you!

Cool. Anything that gets more people reading Vance is just ducky with me.

Mike

Gregor Hutton

Explorer
Your delivery of it at the ENnies was spot on Mike.

As I said to you afterwards, Mongoose's original Conan book had the terrible "spellb.ooks" in it. Another example of hasty find/replace very late in the process.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases