Dawnforge, Morningstar, and Frostholm

hong

WotC's bitch
A'koss said:

Mine as well and I'm running a Norse-flavored campaign...

Actually, the way it's described reminds me of Warhammer Fantasy, without the more over-the-top fantastical bits (elves, orcs, chaos hordes, etc).

A'koss

Explorer
Originally posted by hong:

Actually, the way it's described reminds me of Warhammer Fantasy, without the more over-the-top fantastical bits (elves, orcs, chaos hordes, etc).
Oh, I'm sure it will do well, but it's just not my style of play and the setting just didn't really grab me. Frostholm just comes across to me as another very bleak, very depressing setting that seems to be all the rage these days. More cold, more darkness, more doom. I think the whole "rage against the dying of the light" thing is a fine diversion, but it's just not for me in terms of a lasting campaign.

Just to give you an idea where I'm coming from, the setting I'm running now is pretty much the opposite of this. Ragnarok is over, the Fimbulwinter is receeding and the young, emerging PCs races have just scored a huge victory over their monstrous enemies from Kaldr(heim). Civilization is slowly emerging in lands teeming with early cenozoic-era-style life (think big, surly mammals ;) ). It's an age of expansion, exploration and high adventure! :D

I've thrown a lot of curveballs in this setting, it ain't just vikingesque warriors and giants... The Eye of Ghaze may have to make a return appearance from my old Namea campaign... heh. heh. heh.

Cheers,

A'koss.

Ran

First Post
I have this mail around, so i thought you would like to take a look at DawnForge setting proposal, don't have idea if it is still on that ay or has gone a little bit away from it...

CORE ETHOS SENTENCE
DAWNFORGE is a primeval world where the great empires have not yet fallen and magic still courses through the earth like a raging river.

WHO ARE THE HEROES?
The heroes of DAWNFORGE emerge from unexpected places and unforeseen twists of fate. Some are the trueborn children of kings, the offspring of ancient and noble bloodlines. They are knights of the Kingsmarch, trained from birth to honor the crown and defend the realm. They are high elven lords, heirs to a magical legacy and a terrible war. They are merchant-princes of gilded Ebernath who venture into the unknown to claim new lands, wealth, and glory for their families. From the shining city-states of the Dreaming Isles to the dwarven courts of the Mountain Kings, the world of DAWNFORGE is home to great houses, exalted birthrights, and proud dynasties founded on magic, conquest, and trade.

Other heroes claim less-glorified origins or have lost their heritage. They are Korish sellswords, nomadic warriors of the Durning Highlands, or Valhadrin initiates whose power and lore is drawn from a source far older than the entitlement of noble birth. They are freeborn adventurers who quest for fame and fortune in untamed lands where sword and spell are stronger than privilege and status. Whether king or commoner, all must find their destinies in an age of legend that will inspire epic stories and songs in times to come.

WHAT DO THEY DO?
Brave warriors battle legendary monsters in the rugged wilds of Tamerland and the shadowed jungles of Zangala. Elven archmages craft artifacts of terrible power in the arcane shrine at Cardas Fane. Rogues and sellswords seek their fortunes with blade and bravado amidst the dreaming spires and brooding idols of ancient Valhadar. Kings and warlords win and lose empires on the unforgiving battlefields of Dor Erlon. The warrior-priests of Stoneguard wield the magic of earth and flame against the hunger and hate that dwells in darkness. Griffon Company rangers hunt the savage goblinoids that threaten the frontier with iron and fire. Whether driven by duty or longing, vengeance or faith, heroes quest for honor and glory in a land where legends walk the earth.

THREATS, CONFLICTS, AND VILLAINS
It is the dawn of an age of heroes, and the course of the world's destiny has yet to be charted. It is a time of beginnings, when great empires reach the zenith of their power, yet countless futures balance on the deeds of heroic champions and corrupt villains. Mighty forces clash, and factions with competing visions strive to master the threads that weave the patterns of history. DAWNFORGE is a world of a hundred epic stories that have yet to be told.

The Valhadar Dominion, a great empire built on dark sorcery and fiendish pacts, reaches for the feuding realms of the Kingsmarch with greedy talons. In Sildanyr, the enchanted homeland of the elves, the ageless lords of light and darkness fight a civil war to determine the future of an entire race. A secret society of enigmatic shapeshifters, the elusive Black Circle works subtle treacheries and dark intrigues to corrupt the good and noble from within. The ancient civilization of the yuan-ti spreads across dark and mysterious Zangala like a virulent plague. A storm is coming, and black clouds gather on the horizon.

THE NATURE OF MAGIC
Magic is the lifeblood of the world, the primal essence of creation that flows through all living things and wells in the bones of the earth. No gods have established dominion over the world of DAWNFORGE, and the mortal realms are the source of both arcane and divine magic. A thousand small gods of a hundred races, nations, cities, and clans struggle to win the faith and obedience of their willful children. The spirits of tree and stone grant their servants the power to guard and protect the wild places. In this age of legend, no gods have yet been crowned and divinity is a prize to which even mortal heroes and revered ancestors can aspire.

Magic courses throughout the earth, but its flow is not without pattern. It eddies and pools, creating ancient places of power that channel and change the magic coursing through them. Some of these magical nexuses—elemental furnaces in the hearts of volcanoes or abyssal pits in the oldest and deepest parts of the earth—are inaccessible to all but a powerful few. Others are the arcane foundation on which empires and fortunes are built, and all are highly coveted by those who know how to tap and harness their power. A battle rages in the heart of Sildanyr, as elf lords struggle for dominion over the First Tree and the fey magic that flows from its timeless roots. The explorers who push ever farther into the wilds of Tamerland seek ancient treasures more priceless than gold.

WHAT'S NEW AND DIFFERENT?
The world of DAWNFORGE is a mythic land rich in magic and wonder where great empires clash, intrepid explorers journey beyond wild frontiers, and mighty heroes brave epic dangers. It is a land where familiar and beloved races and archetypes are reaching the pinnacle of their glory and wonder. It is a vast and rich realm where newborn nations are still islands of civilization in a dark and unexplored wilderness sea. The world of DAWNFORGE is a land where the greatest deeds have yet to be done and epic heroes are wrought in the crucible of legend.

LuYangShih

First Post
Dawnforge looks amazing. Finally, a truly epic world to adventure in. I will almost certainly be picking it up, judging by the previews posted here.

blackshirt5

First Post
Trains got the Shaft!

Seriously though, the preview art for Dawnforge looks awesome. Looks like I'm gonna have to pick up that and Morningstar and work hard to differentiate my world from these two awesome looking worlds.

goodmangames

First Post
Thought you might be interested in the 22-page Morningstar preview we just posted. Game play in Morningstar includes a new level-based approach to the elder races (complete with 3 supernatural subraces of dwarf and 5 types of fey elf). This preview covers some of the character options. You can find it at http://www.goodman-games.com/index.php

Remove ads