DC20 Kickstarter launch on June 4th

Aldarc

Legend
That was one of the main reasons that the KS did so well.

And also one of the main reasons that the 2e version of the game flopped so hard with the 7th Sea player base once everyone saw how Wick changed the dice system...
Yep. My old group bounced off of 7th Sea 2e hard. 7th Sea 1e was previously their primary game. Of course, while I was enjoying playing a character who sucked at combat in 7th Sea 1e, I was in the process of bouncing hard off the setting of Theah. It sits too much for me in an uncanny valley between fantasy Europe and real world Europe. Anyway... DC20.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
That is what it always was. See the above linked original essay that defined the term.
Sorry, random syllables didn't coalesce into "Fantasy Heartbreaker" from nothing. It originally was two words being used together -- "Fantasy" and "Heartbreaker", each of which had meaning. It was two words that they used as a term, and now that term holds on it's own even if $3/4mil (so far) KS isn't a "Heartbreaker".

Like like claiming "Fast & Furious", which now refers to a film franchise, wasn't originally the words "fast" and "furious". Simply not true.

Someone coining a term doesn't mean the words in the term weren't picked for their meaning.

AK81

Explorer
I am not sure if there will be a lot of players still playing in a couple of years, but I am pretty sure The Dungeon Coach has big plans to continue publishing for DC20. So, I think those who are interested in the game can look forward to a lot of content. Especially now that the Kickstarter is doing so well.

Can it be one of the few Heartbreakers that actually succeeds?

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Sorry, random syllables didn't coalesce into "Fantasy Heartbreaker" from nothing. It originally was two words being used together -- "Fantasy" and "Heartbreaker", each of which had meaning. It was two words that they used as a term, and now that term holds on it's own even if $3/4mil (so far) KS isn't a "Heartbreaker".

Like like claiming "Fast & Furious", which now refers to a film franchise, wasn't originally the words "fast" and "furious". Simply not true.

Someone coining a term doesn't mean the words in the term weren't picked for their meaning.
I'm not sure what you are objecting to. We weren't disagreeing, except insofar as I was pointing out that what you said it means "now" was always what it meant.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I am not sure if there will be a lot of players still playing in a couple of years, but I am pretty sure The Dungeon Coach has big plans to continue publishing for DC20. So, I think those who are interested in the game can look forward to a lot of content. Especially now that the Kickstarter is doing so well.

Can it be one of the few Heartbreakers that actually succeeds?
From what I see, and I'm only partially following, we can expect another PHB and a magazine and likely adventures/monsters. Plus, 3pp support....is there mention of an SRD or open license? I don't recall.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Yea, I'd never even heard of this until like a week ago, when I saw something in passing, and now it's really blown up. People are really into bandwagons, it seems. I think it just goes to show there's a huge appetite for something that's not related to WoTC. And I think people want something that's very 5e-adjacent, but also brings something fresh to the table. I'm not sure Daggerheart will be different enough, and also leans way too much into the anthropomorphic races that some people don't like. MCDM is a bit of a wildcard at the moment, and Tales of the Valiant is just way too much like 5e to really be all that interesting.

Vexorg

Explorer
7th Sea 2e is the poster child for this.

You can have a killer KS, and years later nobody really plays your game.

It is a bit different when it's an established company vs one person. At least Shadowdark seems to appeal to the OGL crowd.

The game I keep thinking about is 13th age. It was written by two D&D veterans, Tweet and Heinsoo. It was also celebrated as "D&D, but better". If Kickstarter was popular at the time it could have made $3 million.

Long term support and core rules sales are a good measure of success, but don't overlook initial sales. They matter too.

Remove ads