• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DDI Progress

Shemeska

Adventurer
Well, the other day I made a post over on the WotC boards / Gleemax / whatever it is now, asking about the status of the DDI in light of GenCon coming up and how it would be best to display some sort of working Beta for the public to use, and how just a mockup or video would likely damage perception of the DDI's eventual finished product. Below was the question.

me said:
Is anything at the point of restricted beta testing yet? And is it still Radiant Machine doing everything out of house, or have things been transitioned to in-house coders in part or in whole?

And I actually got an answer. :)

WotC_DM said:
We are not yet in Beta stage, but are working on getting there, especialy for the character visualizer and the character builder applications. The Game Table is still in Alpha Stage though.

We have started a few months ago to transition in-house, and are in the process of completing this transitioning.

However that's probably not the answer that a lot of folks were hoping for. Just... yikes. Ouch.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I thought as much. The goals Wotc set themselves were far too far-reaching. We´ll see how they progress, and how they withstand the usual "lolhaha failure" flames cropping up.

wayne62682

First Post
I'm more worried that they're bringing it in-house, than the fact it's not Beta/Alpha yet. I really hope they have some competent programmers. Creating a 3D application is a lot harder than throwing together a web app (I should know, since I've done web apps for 4 years and wouldn't be anywhere near skilled enough to even attempt the 3D app).

Given the problems and recent demise of Gleemax, I really hope that they aren't underestimating the intensive programming required for D&DI. Some of the web-based aspects might be easy, but that brings up the question of why they aren't in Beta yet.

Time will tell, I guess, but their in-house development track record has been nothing short of abysmal.

P.S. lolhaha fai1ur3!!!1111 :p

Drkfathr1

First Post
I just find it really disappointing that they started planning all of this more than a year ago, and put so much effort into hyping it up and at this late date its still not anywhere near ready to go.

I fear much of the perception of 4E in general suffers because of it.

Why o' why does WotC keep trying their hand at electronic products? Just stick to the books and the minis!

phloog

First Post
I would have no complaint about them dabbling in software, whether they failed or not, if it weren't for the GSL and the new philosophy. With the OGL, they could have tried to toss together a DDI, failed miserably, and the customer would still have options (DMGenie, Fantasy Grounds, etc).

With the GSL, it seems that they have said essentially 'Despite our horrid track record, we are going to once again try to create software...but THIS time we'll make sure that no one else can try'.....If they're going to make junk that's one thing, but don't put out junk while creating a legal barrier to someone creating something of value for me.

Scribble

First Post
I would have no complaint about them dabbling in software, whether they failed or not, if it weren't for the GSL and the new philosophy. With the OGL, they could have tried to toss together a DDI, failed miserably, and the customer would still have options (DMGenie, Fantasy Grounds, etc).

With the GSL, it seems that they have said essentially 'Despite our horrid track record, we are going to once again try to create software...but THIS time we'll make sure that no one else can try'.....If they're going to make junk that's one thing, but don't put out junk while creating a legal barrier to someone creating something of value for me.

If they fail at the DDI, and oppening the license to include digital offerings would increase interest in D&D... I'm sure they'd open it up.

Hawke

Explorer
I can't believe how slow they are getting this taken care of. Even if 10,000 people worldwide signed up for DDI they would be getting 100k a month revenue extra. You can't tell me that isn't an incentive to invest in some people that can actually get something done.

The application in my sig is developed by primarily one guy during his off time. There's been patches and recently more people are jumping up, but I have no clue what's taking them so long...and all the while the third parties can pilfer ideas from the gametable screens and it just gets harder for people to jump on GT and not think "MapTool" or whatever is better.

I can't believe how slow they are getting this taken care of. Even if 10,000 people worldwide signed up for DDI they would be getting 100k a month revenue extra. You can't tell me that isn't an incentive to invest in some people that can actually get something done.

The application in my sig is developed by primarily one guy during his off time. There's been patches and recently more people are jumping up, but I have no clue what's taking them so long...and all the while the third parties can pilfer ideas from the gametable screens and it just gets harder for people to jump on GT and not think "MapTool" or whatever is better.
It's 3D, with lightning and all. I have little experience with 3D, but the little I have tell me that creating a 3D interface takes more then a mere 50 % of extra time. They want 3D Models, lightning, and all that stuff. It's not enough to support some downloaded maps, they want tiles and all.
3D is also more demanding on hardware, and thus more prone to errors. Showing regular images is pretty trivial, but 3D Models is another matter.

They have set high goals for the application. What surprises me is that they believed it could be ready this June, not that it isn't ready yet. :-S

I think it can work out, but I really doubt the Game Table will be finished this year. But if they don't finish it till the middle of next year, I see a good chance for it to fully fail. But well, that's all guesswork. :yawn:

I think it would be interesting to read some designer blogs on the application - read what problems they have to solve, what progress they make. It might cost them extra time, but if there is steady tickle of information, I am sure fans (at least me) would feel more optimistic about it (unless of course, the blog reports about one disaster after aother :p).

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
I'll reserve my laughter till it gets canceled.

I´m sure other will take over till then

It's 3D, with lightning and all. I have little experience with 3D, but the little I have tell me that creating a 3D interface takes more then a mere 50 % of extra time. They want 3D Models, lightning, and all that stuff. It's not enough to support some downloaded maps, they want tiles and all.
3D is also more demanding on hardware, and thus more prone to errors. Showing regular images is pretty trivial, but 3D Models is another matter.

They have set high goals for the application. What surprises me is that they believed it could be ready this June, not that it isn't ready yet. :-S

I think it can work out, but I really doubt the Game Table will be finished this year. But if they don't finish it till the middle of next year, I see a good chance for it to fully fail. But well, that's all guesswork. :yawn:

I think it would be interesting to read some designer blogs on the application - read what problems they have to solve, what progress they make. It might cost them extra time, but if there is steady tickle of information, I am sure fans (at least me) would feel more optimistic about it (unless of course, the blog reports about one disaster after aother :p).

I won´t cry tears if DDI fails, because of well-made cheap alternatives. But it will be interesting to see how WotC is going to cope with the ever-increasing pressure that now rests on them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads