Trailer Deadpool & Wolverine | Official Trailer

Kevin Fiegie was actually reported to have been pretty adamant that this movie had to be rated R …
That's the most recent report, but earlier ones were very different.

Earlier indications (like 3+ years ago) were that Fiege and Disney were pretty keen to bring it down to PG-13, and this lead to some "discussions". But at some point that changed - I think Disney particularly started realizing the value of a diverse portfolio re: types of content and age ratings, especially as they push Disney+ more and more.

I don't know how Disney+ is advertised in the US or if it's still separate from Hulu, but in most of the world (which is where most of Disney+'s profit comes from), it doesn't just carry Disney shows, it carries a whole ton of other stuff, a lot of which is adult-oriented, like, for American Horror Story. Literally I could walk down to the main road and take a picture of a billboard advertising Disney+ specifically on that basis - i.e. that it is more than Disney/MCU/Star Wars shows and has a lot of edgy and adult-oriented stuff on it.

So I think it's fair to say Disney's original intention was indeed to try and make it PG-13, but that to some extent, times change. Just how much they'll have changed we'll have to see when the movie comes out. I personally do expect it to be tamer than 1 or 2 and nothing in this trailer suggests otherwise.

Tamer how? This trailer has F-bombs, crotch-stabbings, and overt references to the protagonist using cocaine. That seems completely in line with the previous two movies.
I'm not convinced the cocaine stuff will actually make it it into movie - we'll see - there's some speculation it's specifically for the trailer. Also lampshading that you're being asked to tone it down is usually a sign you're being toned down. You don't really conventionally lampshade things that aren't happening. Most lampshading in modern media is basically to excuse a flaw - I'm not saying that's definitely the case here, but that's current trend with lampshading. I can't remember what it was but there was some Netflix show recently that lampshaded a ton of stuff to basically apologise for it being dumb, but... it was still dumb.

Re: tamer I mean that overall I suspect it will be less hyperviolent, clearer moral lines, fewer sexual references (none of the pegging or "baby dick" of the previous movies), probably less swearing, and probably less talking and more biffing, more in line with the MCU in general.

But I hope I'm wrong! I hope it's disgusting and gratuitous but has tons of heart like the previous two!

One thing that does give me a little hope is the use of Ant-Man's giant corpse - that kind of illustrates the difference between the kind of thing that happens in X-Men comics stuff vs MCU Avengers stuff. If this was a normal MCU Avengers-y film, there's no way they'd have that - maybe the badguy would live in the corpse of a non-humanoid and probably non-sentient beast, but inside the corpse of a beloved Paul Rudd comedy character? Not so much! That's very X-Men vibes.

Last edited:

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Pop Corn GIF by WWE

Ryujin

Legend
20th Century Fox sign alongside CN tower is interesting. I thought the arch on the right was from the Statue of Liberty but after checking pictures, I'm clearly wrong. Any ideas?

Stalker0

Legend
That's the most recent report, but earlier ones were very different.

Earlier indications (like 3+ years ago) were that Fiege and Disney were pretty keen to bring it down to PG-13, and this lead to some "discussions". But at some point that changed - I think Disney particularly started realizing the value of a diverse portfolio re: types of content and age ratings, especially as they push Disney+ more and more.

I don't know how Disney+ is advertised in the US or if it's still separate from Hulu, but in most of the world (which is where most of Disney+'s profit comes from), it doesn't just carry Disney shows, it carries a whole ton of other stuff, a lot of which is adult-oriented, like, for American Horror Story. Literally I could walk down to the main road and take a picture of a billboard advertising Disney+ specifically on that basis - i.e. that it is more than Disney/MCU/Star Wars shows and has a lot of edgy and adult-oriented stuff on it.

So I think it's fair to say Disney's original intention was indeed to try and make it PG-13, but that to some extent, times change. Just how much they'll have changed we'll have to see when the movie comes out. I personally do expect it to be tamer than 1 or 2 and nothing in this trailer suggests otherwise.
I mean at the end of the day a LOT of discussions are going to happen in the process of making anything costing millions of dollars.

And of course Disney as the brand of a family friendly company is going to have people start the conversation with "PG 13 is ideal". But it looks like for one reason or another the R rated arguments won out.

Part of the issue I have with modern reporting is that any snippet of conversation is reported as big news....and its very hard to have earnest brainstorming when every idea put on the table is suddenly open for criticism even though it never makes it to the actual product. Man I think about some of my brainstorming conversations and the crazy ideas I have had and then immediately dismissed, is someone was reporting on those I can't imagine what the popular lashback would be!

I mean at the end of the day a LOT of discussions are going to happen in the process of making anything costing millions of dollars.

And of course Disney as the brand of a family friendly company is going to have people start the conversation with "PG 13 is ideal". But it looks like for one reason or another the R rated arguments won out.

Part of the issue I have with modern reporting is that any snippet of conversation is reported as big news....and its very hard to have earnest brainstorming when every idea put on the table is suddenly open for criticism even though it never makes it to the actual product. Man I think about some of my brainstorming conversations and the crazy ideas I have had and then immediately dismissed, is someone was reporting on those I can't imagine what the popular lashback would be!
Personally I suspect that this is more a result of the pandemic slowing things down and Disney itself changing, together with the relatively lower than expected success of some very safe project than early discussions being over reported. Obviously we don't know but it looks to me that had things happened faster and/or had some projects been more successful we might be seeing a clearly PG-13 Deadpool.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Personally I suspect that this is more a result of the pandemic slowing things down and Disney itself changing, together with the relatively lower than expected success of some very safe project than early discussions being over reported. Obviously we don't know but it looks to me that had things happened faster and/or had some projects been more successful we might be seeing a clearly PG-13 Deadpool.
It would be an interesting gambit. I think it would prove to be a disaster in blowback. Lining up Deadpool to fit nicely in MCU phase who cares that we happen to be in right now.

Ryujin

Legend
People who want PG-13 Deadpool can watch "Free Guy."

Remove ads