Dealing with Fliers in 4E?

Rerednaw

Explorer
Flying for player characters is a lot more difficult to obtain.

As such how do melee-focused PCs such as the fighter and paladin deal with fliers? I am not referring to paragon or epic level. During the heroic levels there are creatures (flameskull, spined devil) that can hover and blast at range with either an at-will or an at-will with a recharge.

Creatures that can fly but are forced to melee can be dealt with in a more traditional (readied actions) manner but fliers with ranged attacks appear to be problematical.

I suppose this could be one of the situations where the other classes can shine.

Thoughts?

Scribble

First Post
Rerednaw said:
Flying for player characters is a lot more difficult to obtain.

As such how do melee-focused PCs such as the fighter and paladin deal with fliers? I am not referring to paragon or epic level. During the heroic levels there are creatures (flameskull, spined devil) that can hover and blast at range with either an at-will or an at-will with a recharge.

Creatures that can fly but are forced to melee can be dealt with in a more traditional (readied actions) manner but fliers with ranged attacks appear to be problematical.

I suppose this could be one of the situations where the other classes can shine.

Thoughts?

Ranged weapons.
Other classes shine.
Climbing stuff.
Being creative. :p

nute

Explorer
A) They pick up their ranged weapon and resort to ranged basic attacks.

B) They pick up a rock and make ranged improvised weapon attacks.

C) They hang back and support the wizard/warlock/ranger/cleric who has a ranged attack that can make the flier go boom.

Victim

First Post
Melee characters can throw javelins using their STR bonus, so even heavy fighters have decent ranged attacks. Magic throwing weapons automatically return too.

I think that at higher levels, characters are supposed to make more use of flying mounts. The line of thought might be that characters using wingless flight magics as a matter of routine is more super hero than fantasy, so riding on fantastic beasts is prefered. Wyverns and Hippogriffs have attractive Mount features too.

Remove ads