• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death, Dying and Entitlements.

Obryn

Hero
I think that death is about the least interesting long-term, negative thing that can happen in a gamee. With that said, I don't mind occasional individual deaths; it's the TPKs that make for campaign-enders, IME.

Anyway, in my Dark Sun game, I handed out Death Tokens to my players. They've eaten through half of them getting to Level 7. I did this because I wanted to run a game with character-driven plots. Death puts pretty quick ends to those.

Basically, character death is more about campaigns than it is about groups to me. If I were running a game that wasn't character-driven - that was location- or mission-based - I wouldn't care so much. It's ridiculous to call this any kind of "player entitlement" issue; that's a strawman.

-O

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Because thankfully, D&D is not constrained to a slippery slope of all randomness or all determinism. That's a false dichotomy.

No it is not all randomness, but the dice are the neutral factor in the outcome of battles. If you have to fudge dice then there is no need to roll them.

As other's have mentioned, it is hard to die in 4th edition D&D. You have to jump so many hoops to die that if you do end up hitting the negatives and then failing three death saves in a row then you were most likely meant to die.

How much more red tape do people need to go through in order to die? I think it's kind of overboard as it is right now and there are people who want it even harder to die.

Obryn

Hero
How much more red tape do people need to go through in order to die? I think it's kind of overboard as it is right now and there are people who want it even harder to die.
What are you arguing for here?

I mean, it's clear that you're passionate about this, but are you arguing that nobody should make death harder in their 4e campaigns, no matter the campaign style? Are you arguing that they're playing a less-D&D game than you are?

I mean, what's at stake here? Discussion is fine and dandy, but you're taking a very "my-way-or-the-highway" type of attitude here, and I'm not sure what there is to gain by that.

-O

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Obryn said:
Despite my willingness to consider other styles, my current game (a 4e megadungeon sandbox) is a medium-high lethality game. We usually have a character death* every 5-6 sessions. I think 4e does a pretty good job of handling it. With the CB, rolling up a new character takes ~20 minutes on average and the ability to overcome death through the expenditure of resources is also available pretty early in the game's power arc.

Well, let's get a little more specific about my claim, here. "High Lethality" to me, does not signify how often there is a character death that may or may not be counteracted by a raise. To me, as I was using it, it signifies how often death makes the party fail -- how easy D&D is to "lose."

So for this, the most useful metric is: how often is there a TPK?

It's a mechanical argument, about the mechanics of the game: How does 4e penalize death, mechanically? Well, unless there's a TPK, it really doesn't. Well, possibly, you earn less GP (no High Score!), if you're raising a lot of folks. Even in a TPK, it doesn't have to (whip up new characters at the same level!).

In 4e, this is usually a rare event, indeed -- a possible specter I don't think most tables have ever seen. This is what I mean by 4e not being very good at giving you a kind of game with a lot of consequential dying. Even in a high lethality game that bans resurrection, the worst case scenario is usually that you roll up a new character at the same level, and chug along almost as if nothing happened, mechanically speaking. There might be some big story consequences, but, mechanically, all that happened when the Cleric died was that Healing Word got replaced with Majestic Word (or whatever). Basically nothing. If the party wipes and you start over from level 1, that is a pretty severe consequence. That's how you "lose D&D." That's what happens on a TPK. Other than that, you keep chugging along, gaining XP and treasure almost automatically, until you "win the game" by getting to Level 30, sooner or later, or the campaign loses steam and no one cares about getting to level 30 anymore (the typical end to most D&D campaigns, I believe).

So, when I say 4e isn't very good at giving you a game with a lot of lethality, I mean that 4e isn't very good at giving you a game where death matters mechanically. The rules don't punish dying very harshly. Swapping out a party member is not a big deal, as far as the rules are concerned.

Now, that's not to say that it's not a big deal from a story perspective. It clearly, definitely, is. Even if your character later gets raised, it's a pretty big deal. Because there's no reason in the rules to avoid death, the reason is entirely provided by the narrative of the game, by how much the player gets attached to the character.

But how death affects the story of the game is a completely separate conversation from how it affects the mechanics of the game. It's a story effect. It's key to the game's experience, but it doesn't speak to the mechanical effect of having your HPs drop to 0 and failing 3 death saves and not having a party raise you.

A "high lethality" game, to me, would be a game that you can "lose," where the mechanics have consequences for failure, where there is a real risk of experiencing those consequences, and you can talk about things like "challenge" and "luck" and "skill" playing a role in the outcome.

It's my understanding that 1e was much better at delivering this kind of experience -- a game that is possible to lose. Every session probably had SOMEONE dying, and had a real risk of EVERYONE dying. "Killer dungeons" were a basic part of the play experience. When you died, you started back at level 1, or at the very least lost out on XP for the adventure. Resurrections were nearly unattainable. The challenge was to get as high as possible without dying, and it involved luck and skill.

Those mechanics enhance a game where the goals were different. The goals of a 4e game -- even one with a high lethality -- are pretty much NOT to "stay alive" or "get a high level." Those are things that happen pretty much automatically. What's more ephemeral in 4e is how that happens, and the story events surrounding it. Death is not a consequence, or a hazard, or a problem, mechanically speaking. Not for the game. It is, at most, a reason to try out a new race/class combo and keep going.

So while I'm sure your game has a pretty high rate of for-realsies (non-rezzed) character death in comparison to bog standard 4e, that doesn't mean it's necessarily a game with "high lethality," as I would use the term. Similarly, WoW doesn't have a "High Lethality," even though you can drop 10 times a night. Death doesn't mean much (though it means slightly more than it does in D&D. :)). Games with save points don't have very high lethality. Tetris does, though (sooner or later, you lose). Chess does (someone is always going to lose). Poker's very high (only one person out of an entire table ever gets to "win.").

You'll notice that games with heavy storylines don't feature high lethality (as I'd use the term). This is because the two don't easily coexist. A long story needs time and consistency to tell, and a high lethality makes failure to be expected, and victory to only be pried forcefully from its jaws. This is key to the D&D debate, because D&D blends the story with the game, and there are folks who lean in each direction (though neither would likely give up the other side entirely). For this, it's the difference between wanting to earn your high levels, treating them as the goal and reward, or wanting to earn your story victories, treating THEM as the goal and reward. A 4e D&D game with a lot of character deaths is still going to eventually reach 30th level, whenever the DM gets round to giving out the XP, regardless of if it's a completely different cast of characters at that point or not. A 1e game with a lot of character deaths won't get out of the kobold caves. If it makes it to name level, it'll big a Big Deal. The goals of the games are completely different, and the relationship between "0 hp" and "failure" is going to be different for each goal.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
What are you arguing for here?

I mean, it's clear that you're passionate about this, but are you arguing that nobody should make death harder in their 4e campaigns, no matter the campaign style? Are you arguing that they're playing a less-D&D game than you are?

I mean, what's at stake here? Discussion is fine and dandy, but you're taking a very "my-way-or-the-highway" type of attitude here, and I'm not sure what there is to gain by that.

-O

Sure I'm passionate about this! Because this to me is along the same lines as cheat codes and strategy guides. Why would you want to play game that you can't lose at?

Sure I'm passionate about this! Because this to me is along the same lines as cheat codes and strategy guides. Why would you want to play game that you can't lose at?
Some people might enjoy that. Not for us to say they're wrong for enjoying it.

Besides that, "winning" and "losing" are rather nebulous concepts with respect to RPGs. A party can survive an entire campaign but ultimately fail in their goals (whatever they might be), which they would consider a failure.

Unwise

Adventurer
Without deaths, players will eventually stop taking threatening situations seriously and instead only look towards the treasure involved.

As an example, you have a bunch of low level adventurers come across a dragon sleeping on its treasure horde. If you have kept the risk vs reward paradigm in your games to this point, the adventurers will likely decide it is not worth the risk. If the theif does try to sneak in and steal something, it will be exciting as they might die at any moment.

If you have failed to maintain risk vs reward, then the players feel entitled to that treasure that the dragon is sleeping on. They will attack it and force you into a situation where you have to once again bend to their will and give them the treasure, or kill them (which history shows you won't do, so you can't just blame them for being silly).

Without the occassional death, when a PC does die, it can feel that the GM had a vendetta of some sort. For instance, if you use a Deus Ex Machina often enough, it becomes expected. When a PC does eventually die, they wonder why an angel did not sweep down and save them, like it did for Bob and Tina's characters last adventure.

This being said, I actually do sometimes give a PC 'plot armor' and I am quite obvious about it. Adventures that require a particular PC tend to come about due to good roleplaying on their part, or at least making an interesting character background. Plot armor can be a reward for good co-operative story telling as well as a handy thing to help the GM continue the campaign as intended.

There are other ways of adding risk v reward than death of course. In a recent game, the PCs failed miserably at trying to save an NPC from a big bad guy. They were beaten down, with only one left standing. The bad guy then callously executed the NPC in front of them. At this point, they know they had lost and had been 'punished' for their failure. I decided that seeing their friend murdered enraged them so much that they all spent a healing surge due to the inspiration. The guy who was still up and the dwarf who was a relative of the NPC were both so overcome with rage that they got an action point. This led to a cinematic resurgence where they came back from certain death and slaughtered the bad guys. This resulted in a much better game than a TPK, the players still felt empowered, yet they know that they had lost the day, even if they did avenge their fallen comrade.

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Fifth Element said:
Besides that, "winning" and "losing" are rather nebulous concepts with respect to RPGs. A party can survive an entire campaign but ultimately fail in their goals (whatever they might be), which they would consider a failure.

Part of the problem, I think, is that D&D doesn't provide a very good way to measure how you are succeeding or failing at goals aside from "staying alive," "gaining treasure," and "gaining XP." It's entirely in the DM's hands. In a game where treasure and XP are basically auto-rewarded (wealth by level and expected XP awards for each combat or monster), and death is rare (easy resurrection or just 'no death,'), the game doesn't tell you how well or poorly you're doing at accomplishing any of your story-based goals. There's no "+1 Sword of Overcoming Daddy Issues," or "Armor of Finding True Love," or "Wand of Finding the MacGuffin."

On the other hand, it gives you pooloads of information on how well you're staying alive, getting treasure, and gaining XP.

One might be forgiven for thinking that this is what you must invest time and effort trying to do, given the amount of time and effort the rules invest in trying to do it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads